Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DisplayPort 1.4 takes care of all of that and yes Vega 64 supports DP 1.4.

You don't need to get the UltraFines. There should be some monitors out there already that support a single DP 1.4 connection for 5k already and more coming out early 2019.

Such as this one...
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34WK95U-W-ultrawide-monitor

There are *today* no 5K screen supporting DP 1.4 over Thunderbolt.
That 34" LG screen mentions supporting a *DP* 1.4 input. It doesn't state what it takes when using over Thunderbolt. My guess would be dual SST 1.2, just like the ultrafine, as otherwise it would make this screen incompatible with any macs.

@joevt,

the GC-Titan Ridge fully supports DP1.4! You do not need four DisplayPort 1.2 outputs connected to two GC-Titan Ridge Add-In Adapters to support two 5K displays. 2x DP1.4 outputs connected to 1x GC-Titan Ridge should allow to drive 2x 5K displays without any problem. That's just the advantage of the GC-Titan Ridge when compared with the former GC-Alpine Ridge or the TBEX 3!

For this to work, you would need the screen to also have a Titan Ridge chipset. It's needed at both end.

To support any two LG 5K Ultrafine over Thunderbolt, even with a Titan Ridge in your PC, you need 4 DP input.

Can't wait to see your experience with the LG 34" 5K... My prediction is that it will work when using the DP cable, but not the TB one.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are *today* no 5K screen supporting DP 1.4 over Thunderbolt.
That 34" LG screen mentions supporting a *DP* 1.4 input. It doesn't state what it takes when using over Thunderbolt. My guess would be dual SST 1.2, just like the ultrafine, as otherwise it would make this screen incompatible with any macs.

For this to work, you would need the screen to also have a Titan Ridge chipset. It's needed at both end.

To support any two LG 5K Ultrafine over Thunderbolt, even with a Titan Ridge in your PC, you need 4 DP input.

Can't wait to see your experience with the LG 34" 5K... My prediction is that it will work when using the DP cable, but not the TB one.

But anyway... with any Vega and the GC-Titan Ridge, one could connect at least 2x LG 34WK95U-W 5K WUHD via one of the TB3 ports and via the DP1.4 port of the GC-Titan Ridge, right? Some Vegas even have a third DP1.4 port, where one could theoretically add even a third LG 34WK95U-W 5K WUHD. Naturally, one could also directly connect 3x LG 34WK95U-W 5K WUHD with the 3x DP1.4 ports of some Vegas and skip TB3 at all.

BTW.. seems that the 2x LG 34WK95U-W 5K in TB daisy chain, LG was showing at respective events, were apparently running indeed with 4K only..

Screenshot 2018-10-05 at 15.40.17.png

Last edited:
But anyway... with any Vega and the GC-Titan Ridge, one could connect at least 2x LG 34WK95U-W 5K WUHD via one of the TB3 ports and via the DP1.4 port of the GC-Titan Ridge, right? Some Vegas even have a third DP1.4 port, where one could theoretically add even a third LG 34WK95U-W 5K WUHD. Naturally, one could also directly connect 3x LG 34WK95U-W 5K WUHD with the 3x DP1.4 ports of some Vegas and skip TB3 at all.

BTW.. seems that the 2x LG 34WK95U-W 5K in TB daisy chain, LG was showing at respective events, were apparently running indeed with 4K only..

View attachment 355448

If the LG 34" has a Titan Ridge chipset in it, and use a DP 1.4 connection, then yes you could plug two to the GC-TITAN Ridge.
However, if it's like I think it is: using a dual SST link, then you will only be able to connect a single 5K screen to it.

Just like on the real imac pro: you can only connect 2 5K screens, even though it has 4 TB3 ports. One 5K screen per Thunderbolt controller.

So my guess it will go like this, with a Vega having 3 DP ports:
You will be able to connect either:
2x5K 34": 1 via DP 1.4, one via Thunderbolt (with the two other DP ports from the Vega connected to the Titan/Alpine)
3x5K 34": 3 via DP 1.4. No screen can be connected via thunderbolt anymore.

For the daisy chain, thats not surprising... Not enough bandwidth to do more.

For ya'll having thunderbolt problems, make sure you have the latest build of clover!!

I was running r4664 that came with one of kgp's EFI zips, and my keyboard was super laggy in clover, and my thunderbolt was real flaky. I ran the Build Clover.command to build the latest Clover, and it now works fine. (Still Alpine Ridge on a X299a)

Before I did this, Thunderbolt was not working on some reboots, hotplug wasn't working, even though the IOreg showed that the SSDT was applied...

So they fixed something in the code that made it work better :)

If the LG 34" has a Titan Ridge chipset in it, and use a DP 1.4 connection, then yes you could plug two to the GC-TITAN Ridge.
However, if it's like I think it is: using a dual SST link, then you will only be able to connect a single 5K screen to it.

Just like on the real imac pro: you can only connect 2 5K screens, even though it has 4 TB3 ports. One 5K screen per Thunderbolt controller.

So my guess it will go like this, with a Vega having 3 DP ports:
You will be able to connect either:
2x5K 34": 1 via DP 1.4, one via Thunderbolt (with the two other DP ports from the Vega connected to the Titan/Alpine)
3x5K 34": 3 via DP 1.4. No screen can be connected via thunderbolt anymore.

For the daisy chain, thats not surprising... Not enough bandwidth to do more.

That's exactly what I stated in post #10821, isn't it? ;) Seems we agree..

Last edited:
An interesting read:
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-...dge-thunderbolt-3-devices/paged/3/#post-44566

And advising to disable the Thunderbolt option in the BIOS if the MB was designed with the alpine ridge in mind

At least on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, it is not a good idea to disable the Thunderbolt option in the BIOS, although the BIOS contains Alpine Ridge properties, which I simply disable (btw.. there is absolutely no change if the Alpine Ridge properties remain enabled within the BIOS).

With the Thunderbolt option disabled in BIOS, everything would continue working in Windows. If one subsequently changes to macOS with TB and USB-C drives still connected, both TB and USB-C drives would properly connect and would be also HotPlugable under macOS. If one shuts down the PC still with the TB and USB-C drives connected, such configuration would continue working without restrictions also after the reboot.

If however you do not connect the respective TB and USB-C devices on boot, the TB and USB-C implementation would be irretrievably lost under macOS and even later-on under Windows.

Only way to gain back TB and USB-C functionality on your PC is to remove the PSU power cord for 30 sec, or to reenable the Thunderbolt option in the BIOS settings.

Disabling the Thunderbolt option in the BIOS also does not remove the black screen issue on wake with TB and USB-C devices connected to the GC-Titan Ridge.

Thus, there is absolutely no reason or advantage to disable the Thunderbolt option in the BIOS of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe.

The opposite is the case... just 100% verified by insitu testing...

Last edited:
I found something that is not working right with the GC-Titan Ridge card. If I shutdown the computer from MacOS with my RAID on and mounted, the RAID drive will go to sleep. LED light goes from blue to orange. When I turn the computer back on, the RAID turned back on, but does not mount in MacOS and the drive does not appear in Disk Utility. I can then disconnect the TB cable and reconnect and it will mount. But if the drive is connected, powered on, and in standby at boot up it will not mount and the drive won't even show in Disk Utility. The RAID is a Akitio Thunder 3 Quad-X and it's setup as a RAID 5 array in Disk Utility. It's a minor issue as I can just shut off the RAID entirely and turn it back on after MacOS is started and it works every time, and even more reliably than the Alpine Ridge card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back