Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

If I could ask a question in between the display brilliant minds... I am really working hard at this build and i have searched around 300 pages so far for answers with no luck. i have (ASUS Prime Deluxe, Nvidia 980ti, i9 7900x) but my system is slow! I tried adding the code piece that reconfigured it from the 7980x to the 7900x but it is not the easiset thing to do nor am I confident that i am doing it right (Yes I jumped into the deep end of the pool but Have a need for speed in video and 3d design). now for the question.... Is there a preconfigured 7900x clover config and EFI folder file that I can download and use as a starting point? (Don't beat me too bad) lol

[EDIT] added the snippet for the 7900x and still slow. images of screen prompts loading is slow (i can see the different sizes of a credentials screen from small and translucent to medium to full size. I have the recommended 10.13.6 version and web driver for my 980ti. Help please

Last edited:
[EDIT] added the snippet for the 7900x and still slow. images of screen prompts loading is slow (i can see the different sizes of a credentials screen from small and translucent to medium to full size. I have the recommended 10.13.6 version and web driver for my 980ti. Help please

Changing from a 7980xe to a 7900x only requires to modify the provided TSCAdjustReset.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kext/Others ; right click on the file and select show content, then modify the Info.plist with the value 19 (10x2-1), it's all on the first page below the "C.) Important General Note/Advice and Error Prevention"
7.) d)

As for your slowness, I would blame your 980Ti ; if you want speed and video and 3d design on macOS, the 980Ti isn't the best choice due to the low quality of the nvidia drivers.
AMD is today the only GPU Apple supports natively

Last edited by a moderator:
Changing from a 7980xe to a 7900x only requires to modify the provided TSCAdjustReset.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kext/Others ; right click on the file and select show content, then modify the Info.plist with the value 15 (8x2-1), it's all on the first page below the "C.) Important General Note/Advice and Error Prevention"
7.) d)

As for your slowness, I would blame your 980Ti ; if you want speed and video and 3d design on macOS, the 980Ti isn't the best choice due to the low quality of the nvidia drivers.
AMD is today the only GPU Apple supports natively
I believe the value of the TSC should be 19 ( 7900x =10 cores/20 threads)

Bummer...
I'll start looking for Cinema Display :/
I would suggest that you log a technical support ticket with GB on their website: https://esupport.gigabyte.com/

Maybe if more than one person report a problem it will make enough noise for them to fix the problem. I'm fairly certain it's something that would be trivial to fix.
I wonder how that screen work with 2018 MBP laptop that are also using a Titan Ridge.

Hi All,

If I could ask a question in between the display brilliant minds... I am really working hard at this build and i have searched around 300 pages so far for answers with no luck. i have (ASUS Prime Deluxe, Nvidia 980ti, i9 7900x) but my system is slow! I tried adding the code piece that reconfigured it from the 7980x to the 7900x but it is not the easiset thing to do nor am I confident that i am doing it right (Yes I jumped into the deep end of the pool but Have a need for speed in video and 3d design). now for the question.... Is there a preconfigured 7900x clover config and EFI folder file that I can download and use as a starting point? (Don't beat me too bad) lol

@JulianWill06 , we are no visionaries here. If you want help, provide at least screenshots of your BIOS settings and upload your EFI-Folder. Then one can look to your system configuration and trace back possible errors.

Cheers,

KGP

@kgp received the replacement Titan today.
The card definitely works better in Windows. Hotplug works fine, USB-C works fine.
*but* Apple Thunderbolt display isn't recognised.

In macOS the card is seen, and so is the USB-C controller, however it's not working : none of the USB-C devices I've plugged on the port are recognised.
I thought that maybe it was due to the USB X299.kext which limit which USB ports are used (I had disabled HS01 and HS02), so I enabled the USB port limits patch (I'm still running 10.13.6) but it didn't change anything. Weither I plug the USB-C device (Samsung S8) once macOS has booted or before I boot: it doesn't appear in the USB device list. Though the phone is charging.

I've removed the nvidia, going back to my original hardware configuration, and can confirm that hotplug with the Alpine Bridge works again (though definitely not as well as I remembered it).

So not much progress unfortunately, and without my Apple Thunderbolt screen working things aren't very promising.

Correction: After rebooting under Windows with the Samsung S8 connected to the TB3 card, now USB-C hotplug works under macOS

Attachments

• jya7980xe-vega-kgp-titan.ioreg
    28.9 MB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
@kgp received the replacement Titan today.
The card definitely works better in Windows. Hotplug works fine, USB-C works fine.
*but* Apple Thunderbolt display isn't recognised.

In macOS the card is seen, and so is the USB-C controller, however it's not working : none of the USB-C devices I've plugged on the port are recognised.
I thought that maybe it was due to the USB X299.kext which limit which USB ports are used (I had disabled HS01 and HS02), so I enabled the USB port limits patch (I'm still running 10.13.6) but it didn't change anything. Weither I plug the USB-C device (Samsung S8) once macOS has booted or before I boot: it doesn't appear in the USB device list. Though the phone is charging.

I've removed the nvidia, going back to my original hardware configuration, and can confirm that hotplug with the Alpine Bridge works again (though definitely not as well as I remembered it).

So not much progress unfortunately, and without my Apple Thunderbolt screen working things aren't very promising.

Well from your actual IOREG, everything seems now properly implemented.. but did you also connect the attached USB2.0 cable? USB-C won't work without connecting that cable.

You say USB-C does not work under macOS at all..

But what about TB?

Else I guess we can close the topic ASRock X299 Professional Gaming + GC Titan Ridge. Following your conclusions, they seem not compatible. That's also some finding. Thanks for your efforts.

BTW.. I guess you would have obtained similar results also with the first sample of the GC Titan Ridge, which you returned. In my opinion the source of your former issues was the faulty THB-C header on your mainboard and very likely also some spooky interference with your Vega + Nvidia implementation.

Having fixed all this issues now, at least the GC-Alpine Ridge seems to properly work again on your system. That's something.

Last edited:
Well from your actual IOREG, everything seems now properly implemented.. but did you also connect the attached USB2.0 cable? USB-C won't work without connecting that cable.

You say USB-C does not work under macOS at all..

it wasn't but now it is :) I see them showing on the HS01/HS02 on the PCII0.XHCI device.

But what about TB?

Else I guess we can close the topic ASRock X299 Professional Gaming + GC Titan Ridge. Following your conclusions, they seem not compatible. That's also some finding. Thanks for your efforts.

BTW.. I guess you would have obtained similar results also with the first sample of the GC Titan Ridge, which you returned. In my opinion the source of your former issues was the faulty THB-C header on your mainboard and very likely also some spooky interference with your Vega + Nvidia implementation.

Having fixed all this issues now, at least the GC-Alpine Ridge seems to properly work again on your system. That's something.

TB works okayish. It's hard to tell for sure without my TB display working.
The Pegasus 2 has always been flimsy with hotplug with macOS, often I had to unplug/plug to get it working. This used to be sufficient with the Alpine Ridge but with the Titan TB3 hotplug appears non-functional..

If the Apple TB display was recognised, I would likely keep it, it works pretty much the same as the Alpine Ridge. That is: it works great under windows, with hotplug being difficult with TB3.
That USB-C hotplug works with that card is a great improvement and that's what I really wanted working.

But yeah, no TB screen, no Titan for me.

Hopefully Gigabyte will implement a fix. Will take time I'm sure, I read that following any firmware change, getting a firmware Thunderbolt Intel signed drivers takes several months.

it wasn't but now it is :) I see them showing on the HS01/HS02 on the PCII0.XHCI device.

TB works okayish. It's hard to tell for sure without my TB display working.
The Pegasus 2 has always been flimsy with hotplug with macOS, often I had to unplug/plug to get it working. This used to be sufficient with the Alpine Ridge but with the Titan TB3 hotplug appears non-functional..

If the Apple TB display was recognised, I would likely keep it, it works pretty much the same as the Alpine Ridge. That is: it works great under windows, with hotplug being difficult with TB3.
That USB-C hotplug works with that card is a great improvement and that's what I really wanted working.

But yeah, no TB screen, no Titan for me.

Hopefully Gigabyte will implement a fix. Will take time I'm sure, I read that following any firmware change, getting a firmware Thunderbolt Intel signed drivers takes several months.

Hmm.. somehow I miss clearer statements.. a simple YES or NO would be sufficient ;)

1.)

a.)Does USB-C with attached USB2.0 cable now work with the GC-Titan Ridge on your system? YES or NO?

b.) Including HotPlug? YES or NO?

c.) Under Windows and macOS? YES or NO?

2.)

a.) Does TB with attached THB-C now work with the GC-Titan Ridge on your system? YES or NO?

b.) Including HotPlug? YES or NO?

c.) Under Windows and macOS? YES or NO?

I mean you can easily check GC-Titan Ridge TB and USB-C functionally with your display connected to the DP1.4 ports of your Vega, right? Just for testing purposes I mean..

3.)

a.) Does your Display properly work with the GC-Titan Ridge under Windows? YES or NO?

b.) Does your Display properly work with the GC-Alpine Ridge under Windows? YES or NO?

c.) Does your Display properly work with the GC-Alpine Ridge under macOS? YES or NO?

d.) Could it be that your display is incompatible with the GC-Titan Ridge? YES or NO?

Thanks in a advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back