Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
no... hotplug no longer works since I've put the Vega in slot 1

Hmm.. can you exclude in 100% that the THB_C header on your mainboard isn't still faulty?

er flipping the THB_C header on your mainboard, the latter really properly works again? Could well be that it is still faulty (some bad connections)..

Well, hotplug works on Windows since I've turned the connector around. It wasn't working before which is why I checked the connector in the first place.

So yes, I'm sure it's all fine.

The only way for me to test that my conclusions are correct would be to remove the 1080Ti, put back the AMD Vega back in slot 3. I'll do that when the new Titan arrive, don't want to put appart the PC once again until then

Reactions: kgp
With the Alpine Ridge, on Windows, the screen works perfectly. All peripherals are working as they should, can sleep/hibernate etc.

On mac, if I put it to sleep, then the screen works fine on resume, but not the microphone or webcam. But I never put the mac to sleep. I shut it down at night.
Only on Windows will I put it to hibernate.

With the Titan Ridge, the screen stays black, it's like the screen was fully off.

If for you too, the Apple TB screen stayed black under both macOS and Windows (and I'm guessing during boot/BIOS), then I'm not 100% sure that my replacement Titan Card won't change that.
Because 2 titan exhibiting the same behaviour is not a coincidence I'm afraid..

bugger.

Im on a X99 chipset, but yes no TB display whatsoever. Stays always black. Ill confirm within 2 days when I get my replacement.

Hmm.. can you exclude in 100% that the THB_C header on your mainboard isn't still faulty?

How can I test for faulty TBH_C header?

Im on a X99 chipset, but yes no TB display whatsoever. Stays always black. Ill confirm within 2 days when I get my replacement.

How can I test for faulty TBH_C header?

1.) I don't know if a complete GC-Titan Ridge functionality can be gained without connecting its USB2.0 header with the USB2.0 header of your mainboard. As it seems that the latter is not possible with X99 mainboards, it might well be that the GC-Titan Ridge is useless in case of X99 mainboards.. Although, on my ASUS X99-A II, I at least achieved GC-Titan Ridge TB functionality without connecting the USB2.0 cable. However, USB-C of course did not work at all in this case.

2.) Don't worry about your TBH_C onboard header on your mainboard. Rulebreaker01 accidentally removed it once from his mainboard and faulty replugged it the other way round. I would exclude such issue on your mainboard.

Last edited:
Rulebreaker01,

BTW.. this is my native GC-Titan Ridge ACPI implementation without using any TB-SSDT.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. The same native result btw I also obtain with the GC-Alpine Ridge and TBEX 3...

You clearly see that UPSB, DSB0, NHI, DSB1, DSB2, XHC5 and DSB4 are fully implemented, although yet named differently.

Screenshot 2018-10-03 at 11.48.02.png

On your system, this is actually not the case... And that's also the reason why neither TB HotPlug nor USB-C HotPlug works even when using SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml, which just adds "Thunderbolt" and "HotPlug" DSM properties to pre-existing TB devices. However, the latter aml is not able to implement or modify/adopt devices which are not natively there originally.

Why your native ACPI TB implementation does not work I don't know, but it definitely has nothing to do with the respective TB- SSDT implementation!

Last edited:
Rulebreaker01,

BTW.. this is my native GC-Titan Ridge ACPI implementation without using any TB-SSDT.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. The same native result btw I also obtain with the GC-Alpine Ridge and TBEX 3...

You clearly see that UPSB, DSB0, NHI, DSB1, DSB2, XHC5 and DSB4 are fully implemented, although yet named differently.

View attachment 354904

On your system, this is actually not the case... And that's also the reason why neither TB HotPlug nor USB-C HotPlug works even when using SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml, which just adds "Thunderbolt" and "HotPlug" DSM properties to pre-existing TB devices. However, the latter aml is not able to implement or modify/adopt devices which are not natively there originally.

Why your native ACPI TB implementation does not work I don't know, but it definitely has nothing to do with the respective TB- SSDT implementation!

Yes, as I mentioned, I never managed to get USB-C working with this motherboard and the Alpine Ridge. The USB-C will appear if I boot with a USB device attached to the TB3 card.

With the Titan Ridge however, the XHC5 always appear, and the PCI list always showed both the NHI adapter and the USB-C one. However it wasn't functional as no USB device ever appeared in the USB device list.

I'll be trying again with the THB_C cable disconnected and see how that goes.

Yes, as I mentioned, I never managed to get USB-C working with this motherboard and the Alpine Ridge. The USB-C will appear if I boot with a USB device attached to the TB3 card.

With the Titan Ridge however, the XHC5 always appear, and the PCI list always showed both the NHI adapter and the USB-C one. However it wasn't functional as no USB device ever appeared in the USB device list.

I'll be trying again with the THB_C cable disconnected and see how that goes.

I guess this won‘t change anything. Your current problem is that half of the TB ACPI device train is missing in the native original macOS Alpine Ridge implementation, even with THB_C implemented. Such TB implementation will never work properly, also not with THB_C removed. :rolleyes:

On mac, if I put it to sleep, then the screen works fine on resume, but not the microphone or webcam. But I never put the mac to sleep. I shut it down at night.
What about Brightness Adjustments before sleep? does F1/F2 ot F14/F15 shortcuts work correctly?

My display turns off and on if (and sometimes stays off) when i use the shortcuts but the slider in system preferences works fine(ish).

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...lashes-brightness-change.251069/#post-1812063

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back