Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was mainly referring to EK water blocking for Vegas.. These are also those GPUs with the fan issue...

Thought that was obvious... ;)

Or if you're lucky find an affordable Vega Liquid Edition :D

Reactions: kgp
Two questions, even though ASUS BIOS Firmware Patching is labeled as obsolete, do we still have to perform the steps?

Also when creating a boot drive, and following the commands, I do not see any directories (in finder) under "iabootfiles" created although LS bootfiles does return just that. I've also CP'd the the EFI folder into the iabootfiles directory, is this all correct?

Two questions, even though ASUS BIOS Firmware Patching is labeled as obsolete, do we still have to perform the steps?

Also when creating a boot drive, and following the commands, I do not see any directories (in finder) under "iabootfiles" created although LS bootfiles does return just that. I've also CP'd the the EFI folder into the iabootfiles directory, is this all correct?

Where is ASUS Firmware patching labled as obsolete? It is absolutely mandatory.

It is .iabootfiles.. a hidden directory .. you will find it with the terminal command "ls"

which is also not that silent though ;)

More silent than the blower-style cooler which ramps to 4900RPM and sounds like a leaf blower ;)

Also you can always swap the radiator fan on the AIO with something more silent like Silent Wings 3.

I did that with my last system which had 2x980Ti Hybrids and it was dead silent even on full load.

Reactions: kgp

In one of the TOC:

B1.) ASUS BIOS Firmware Patching (obsolete)​

I have the Vega FE and it’s not bad on my system. Case is closed and it’s not terrible. It idles around 600rpm sometimes 1600 if I have light gpu loads and on full load it goes to 2000rpm+ and it’s audible but not horrible.

Maybe RX Vega is worse
I have a Vega Frontier as well ---- mine idles at 2000RPM in 10.13.5.

Last edited:
I have a Vega Frontier as well ---- mine idles at 2000RPM in 10.13.5.

Try a fresh boot and don't run any apps. It should idle around ~650RPM
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 5.29.45 PM.png

The problem is the fan should be OFF when the GPU is not being used for any heavy loads and macOS fails to control it properly.

Under Windows my Vega FE fan is off during idle. (last time I checked)

The thermal curve for these officially supported GPUs are too aggressive and I assume Apple doesn't have time to finely tune proper support, even if they have for example the Vega FE on their eGPU official support list.

I suggest everyone who has a Vega send feedback to Apple and complain about the fan and since it's officially supported, they should fix it. Just mention that you have an eGPU and a supported card from this list.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/
[email protected]
[email protected]

Last edited:

It is .iabootfiles.. a hidden directory .. you will find it with the terminal command "ls"

Was confused by the table of contents.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 8.34.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 8.34.16 PM.png
    300.2 KB · Views: 115
Try a fresh boot and don't run any apps. It should idle around ~650RPMView attachment 334592

The problem is the fan should be OFF when the GPU is not being used for any heavy loads and macOS fails to control it properly.

Under Windows my Vega FE fan is off during idle. (last time I checked)

The thermal curve for these officially supported GPUs are too aggressive and I assume Apple doesn't have time to finely tune proper support, even if they have for example the Vega FE on their eGPU official support list.

I suggest everyone who has a Vega send feedback to Apple and complain about the fan and since it's officially supported, they should fix it. Just mention that you have an eGPU and a supported card from this list.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/
[email protected]
[email protected]
The above is what I had done: fresh boot yields fan at 40%, 2000RPM, 45 degrees. Note that mine is the air-cooled version of the Vega FE.

When I used 10.13.4, I had to do the AMD10000Controller.kext mod -- this worked perfect. Unfortunately, when I do the same mod in 10.13.5, nothing happens --- same crazy speed.

Do you do anything unique in your Clover config that I may be missing? Do you use a DSDT or something? Just wondering why there would be such a huge difference between our cards......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back