Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The above is what I had done: fresh boot yields fan at 40%, 2000RPM, 45 degrees. Note that mine is the air-cooled version of the Vega FE.

When I used 10.13.4, I had to do the AMD10000Controller.kext mod -- this worked perfect. Unfortunately, when I do the same mod in 10.13.5, nothing happens --- same crazy speed.

Do you do anything unique in your Clover config that I may be missing? Do you use a DSDT or something? Just wondering why there would be such a huge difference between our cards......

Nope I keep kext folder to a minimum and any DSDT stuff to a minimum as well.

I have most of the patches enabled in config file (source is heavily modified version from the first post of this thread) but from way back.

Mines also the blue air cooled card.

The fan does kick up when I run the valley but nowhere the crazy levels people complain about.

In one of the TOC:

B1.) ASUS BIOS Firmware Patching (obsolete)​

Thanks, (obsolete) removed from Table of Contents. Something that remained from former versions of the guide.
In fact the BIOS firmware patching is obsolete, if one does not care about sleep/wake.

I don't know if it's my Vega FE that is starting to kick the dust or the update to 10.13.5

But now, whenever I play a MP4 with h264 (which would be hardware decoding) I get the machine to hang with the screen displaying either pink, red or greenish.

I then must reboot into windows first or shut down completely the machine for the graphic card to work again...

Only occurs on mac...

At first I thought it occurred due to the Vega SSDT @apfelnico had provided a few pages back, (it happens all the time with it enabled), but occurs even without now...

I don't know if it's my Vega FE that is starting to kick the dust or the update to 10.13.5

But now, whenever I play a MP4 with h264 (which would be hardware decoding) I get the machine to hang with the screen displaying either pink, red or greenish.
Does the error occur immediately, or is there a time delay: overheating, maybe?
Does the video player have a "disable hardware encoding" option?
Or maybe: try a different video software, such as VLC.
http://mac.majorgeeks.com/files/details/vlc_media_player.html

Does the error occur immediately, or is there a time delay: overheating, maybe?
Does the video player have a "disable hardware encoding" option?
Or maybe: try a different video software, such as VLC.
http://mac.majorgeeks.com/files/details/vlc_media_player.html

When the problem occurs, it will never resolve itself by just rebooting/resetting the mac. I must turn it off or boot under Windows.
It's hard to imagine it could be over heating though, the machine is doing nothing but play a video.
Also it has never happened in Windows.

When the problem occurs, it will never resolve itself by just rebooting/resetting the mac. I must turn it off or boot under Windows.
It's hard to imagine it could be over heating though, the machine is doing nothing but play a video.
Also it has never happened in Windows.

Are you using the RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext? I seem to recall some folks talking about some side-effects of using it. All I know is that this kext fixed my fan speed issue in 10.13.5, but I have not yet done any testing with anything graphics intensive.

Are you using the RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext? I seem to recall some folks talking about some side-effects of using it. All I know is that this kext fixed my fan speed issue in 10.13.5, but I have not yet done any testing with anything graphics intensive.
nope...

just vegafixup to get the 2nd DP port working...

I then must reboot into windows first or shut down completely the machine for the graphic card to work again...

Only occurs on mac...

At first I thought it occurred due to the Vega SSDT @apfelnico had provided a few pages back, (it happens all the time with it enabled), but occurs even without now...

Might want to try moving the card to another PCIe slot for testing purposes (and maybe swap the 8pin power cables as well). Usually glitches like that mean GPU is dying (from my previous experiences).

When I first got my Vega FE I had glitches like that when the BIOS screen popped on, I had to do an RMA with AMD and they sent me a new one (kind of a pain in the butt since their support isn't great) and now all is fine.

@kgp since you use OSXWIFI as well, do you use Bluetooth headphones by any chance?

I've been getting constant stutters, I may be missing something. I sit next to the computer and tried 4 types of antennas.

Cheers! :thumbup::wave:

EDIT: Did some research and it seems (maybe)...USB 3.0 interference (ie a cable near the rear ports)....interesting. It must be related to the WD External HD's I'm using (along with G-Drive). The WD's most likely have zero shielding.

Interestingly enough there is an Intel white paper on USB 3.0 and 2.4Ghz wireless interference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back