Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had an issue with USB 3.0 drives (connected directly to the rear mobo port) suddenly not being accessible even if they show the file/folder list?

I am not using sleep at all and Power Nap etc are all disabled.

See post #4852!

I guess that's the most explicit example for SSDT editing you can find on Web.. ;):lol:

Sometimes I would wish that people also read my guide. I don't know what for I am writing up all that stuff if nobody reads it finally ;) ..

Good luck,

KGP

Hi KGP!

Thank you for this. I will try to understand it and see how it could be a help for this rx Vega issue.

Also, I want to let you know that I'm reading your guide from first word to last. I'm, even, rewriting it in a txt file to correct some stuff that I think is some typing errors that makes it confusing sometimes and then try to decrypt...
No, don't get me wrong, I'm working hard on your guide.

But after all that effort (I'm a normal Mac user, I never build any PC, I only opened computers to change ram, ssd/hdd, GPU and dvd/bluray reader/burner that's it), I didn't had the time and the strength to read the 810+ pages of the thread.
Plus, English is not my mother language as you may have noticed.

So really, your work is finding more than good echo here and is worth it and I really give to your guide the effort your work deserve.

Thanks again and don't be discouraged or disappointed by guys like me ;):beachball::crazy:

Cheers :clap: :)

Reactions: kgp
As always you're on your own on anything like Hackintoshes, but kexts aren't going to damage your hardware.

VegaGraphicsFixup.kext enables your secondary ports on the Vega, that's all it does. If you have one monitor you do not need VegaGraphicsFixup.kext. You don't even need Lilu (unless you use it to pair with other kexts).

I would say, get a nice case and make sure it has good noise dampening. I have a Meshify C and it dampens the noise well even if there's a big grille in the front.

There's a few threads on this forum that talk about this issue. Here's one of them.

This is just a guess, as I do not have a Vega 64/56 GPU, but it SEEMS to me that from all the reading, Vega Frontier Edition has the fan issue as well but it's not as bad as Vega 64/56. I can't be for certain why, because Vega FE is basically a Vega 64 with more HBM2 RAM and in a "Professional" category (as it has pro drivers under Windows).

Hi Izo1!
Thanks a lot for this new explanations.
But I do need VegaGraphicsFixup.kext and Lilu.kext apparently just to boot the screen. Without them, the screen doesn't work.

About the case, I have the exact same one as you have. I love it!

My first concern with hackintoshes is noise. So I did do some researches before even thinking of building one. I don't OC the CPU for that reason. I don't need the extra power. I'm using Noctua d15s Air Cooling that compete with Liquid cooling (
). I'm only using Noctua fans for the case with their low noise reduction adaptors options. I get rid of the ones that were in the case.

The only thing that is making noise with my build is the rx Vega, otherwise the build is damned good "almost" silent.

Hi Izo1!
Thanks a lot for this new explanations.
But I do need VegaGraphicsFixup.kext and Lilu.kext apparently just to boot the screen. Without them, the screen doesn't work.

About the case, I have the exact same one as you have. I love it!

My first concern with hackintoshes is noise. So I did do some researches before even thinking of building one. I don't OC the CPU for that reason. I don't need the extra power. I'm using Noctua d15s Air Cooling that compete with Liquid cooling (
). I'm only using Noctua fans for the case with their low noise reduction adaptors options. I get rid of the ones that were in the case.

The only thing that is making noise with my build is the rx Vega, otherwise the build is damned good "almost" silent.

There's something going on your end. I don't have the ASUS x299 board with my Vega, but I definintely do not have to use VegaGraphicsFixup.kext for a single monitor situation. It just boots fine without it. How are you connecting your monitors?

But since I'm using a secondary display as well, I need that kext to load the second screen.

As far as the Meshify C goes, it's a great little ATX case and there's plenty of good airflow (compared to the R6). My last case for a Hackintosh was a Phanteks mATX case, and the airflow was horrible. It looked beautiful, though, and reminded me of the Cheese-grater Mac Pro a little bit with the hard and smooth edges.

Like you, I really care about silence vs performance ratio and my last build had AIO cooler as well but an EVGA Hybrid, so I was always covered with that requirement.

However, when I got the Vega FE, obviously I had a hard time readjusting since I have really sensitive ears even if I have my headphones on most of the time when I'm working. At full speed, Vega FE sounds like a lawnmower. I was hoping to get the Vega Frontier Liquid Edition, but the price is ridiculous on those.

I think AMD discontinued the Vega FE line, if I'm not mistaken. It's a really good card and I'm glad I moved away from nVidia. I really miss CUDA, though. I am hoping one day OpenCL/Metal will reach it's potential.

Last edited:
A little quick question :

Do someone know why "AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset" and "AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset" are grayed out? These options are not available for me to be changed.

I let everything at "Auto" like KGP recommended if you are using a air cooling system, so it's not a big deal for now, but I'm wondering why I can't change these 2 options. Do my mobo is working correctly? Maybe it have an issue.

Any idea?

Thanks.

AiTweaker_options.png

A little quick question :

Do someone know why "AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset" and "AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset" are grayed out? These options are not available for me to be changed.

I let everything at "Auto" like KGP recommended if you are using a air cooling system, so it's not a big deal for now, but I'm wondering why I can't change these 2 options. Do my mobo is working correctly? Maybe it have an issue.

Any idea?

Thanks.

View attachment 333830

They are not grayed out, they are on Auto :rolleyes::lol:...

Enter the desired value with the keyboard and press enter! o_O;)

Good luck,

KGP

FYI 10.13.5 is out, haven't upgraded yet. Will do tonight. Should be straightforward as usual (best part of a 'vanilla' Hackintosh) :D

There's something going on your end. I don't have the ASUS x299 board with my Vega, but I definintely do not have to use VegaGraphicsFixup.kext for a single monitor situation. It just boots fine without it. How are you connecting your monitors?

But since I'm using a secondary display as well, I need that kext to load the second screen.

As far as the Meshify C goes, it's a great little ATX case and there's plenty of good airflow (compared to the R6). My last case for a Hackintosh was a Phanteks mATX case, and the airflow was horrible. It looked beautiful, though, and reminded me of the Cheese-grater Mac Pro a little bit with the hard and smooth edges.

Like you, I really care about silence vs performance ratio and my last build had AIO cooler as well but an EVGA Hybrid, so I was always covered with that requirement.

However, when I got the Vega FE, obviously I had a hard time readjusting since I have really sensitive ears even if I have my headphones on most of the time when I'm working. At full speed, Vega FE sounds like a lawnmower. I was hoping to get the Vega Frontier Liquid Edition, but the price is ridiculous on those.

I think AMD discontinued the Vega FE line, if I'm not mistaken. It's a really good card and I'm glad I moved away from nVidia. I really miss CUDA, though. I am hoping one day OpenCL/Metal will reach it's potential.

I'm connecting my screen simply via DisplayPort. Nothing special here.
My screen is a 21:9 LG 34", the 34UM95-P.
Maybe I should try another outlet than the one I'm using with the card.

For my previous hackintosh, a x99 one, I'm using a be Quiet ! case, the Silent Base 800 which is pretty good for the silence. I did like his aesthetic at the time, but not really anymore.
I hesitated with a Phantek, the ones like you had who reminded me too of the Apple Tower (that I did own), but finally got with the be Quiet! after my researches.
The Meshify C is really beautiful with the Dark TG, and cheap. I'm really happy with it even if the be Quiet is even more silent.

For the AMD Vega FE, yes I have the feeling they stopped it, and "sort of " replaced it with the Radeon Pro WX9100, which is even more expansive.

As I'm mainly did my hackintoshes for FCPX editing, there's no real advantage for me in using nVidia. An rx 580 is better than a 1080Ti with BruceX test, more stable also (too bad it's not the case with rx Vega) and on par for exporting as it's mostly the CPU that really matters here. So, yes no way for me to go with nVidia, so far.

I'm connecting my screen simply via DisplayPort. Nothing special here.
My screen is a 21:9 LG 34", the 34UM95-P.
Maybe I should try another outlet than the one I'm using with the card.

For my previous hackintosh, a x99 one, I'm using a be Quiet ! case, the Silent Base 800 which is pretty good for the silence. I did like his aesthetic at the time, but not really anymore.
I hesitated with a Phantek, the ones like you had who reminded me too of the Apple Tower (that I did own), but finally got with the be Quiet! after my researches.
The Meshify C is really beautiful with the Dark TG, and cheap. I'm really happy with it even if the be Quiet is even more silent.

For the AMD Vega FE, yes I have the feeling they stopped it, and "sort of " replaced it with the Radeon Pro WX9100, which is even more expansive.

As I'm mainly did my hackintoshes for FCPX editing, there's no real advantage for me in using nVidia. An rx 580 is better than a 1080Ti with BruceX test, more stable also (too bad it's not the case with rx Vega) and on par for exporting as it's mostly the CPU that really matters here. So, yes no way for me to go with nVidia, so far.

Is CSM disabled?

Can you try an HDMI cable instead?

They are not grayed out, they are on Auto :rolleyes::lol:...

Enter the desired value with the keyboard and press enter! o_O;)

Good luck,

KGP

:eek: whoah ! ... OK
Decidedly I'm really unlucky :beachball:

I did try, but I have an Apple Numeric keyboard, the wired old one and when I was typing the numbers it didn't work so I was assuming there's a problem as also, when I was clicking in the field nothing was changing as I was expecting.
So dumb :banghead:

I used the numbers above the letters and it worked.

Thanks again KGP :headbang: :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back