Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be able to find the 970 Pro for the 960 Evo price (or pretty close) right now. Some retailers are discounting them for the launch. Not sure if those prices will remain or if it's temporary.

MSRP for 970 Pro is $499. 970 Evo is $399...

They just came out a few days ago.

If you mean 960 Pro, yeah its $425 on Amazon...I'd rather get the 970 Pro since I have a corporate Samsung discount and it rings up to around $430 or so (before taxes).

Anyway $140 is fine, I'd rather have the 970 Pro since I pretty much abuse the OS SSD all the time :)

So far it's been a good upgrade from a 512GB AHCI PCIe Samsung SSD (older) to the EVO 960. Excited to see what 970 Pro brings....I'm mainly heavy in Adobe apps and the cache and opening of large files helps a lot.

Last edited:
Try a different cable, a higher quality one. With Thunderbolt, the length could make a difference too.
I thought of that too, but I would think that I'd see issues in Windows 10 as well if it were the cable.

im building a almost identical build to this guide only i am using the i9-7940x and a Vega Frontier Edition gpu. mobo is x299 prime deluxe with the bios from the guide.

I modded the TSCAdjustRest.kext to 27 to reflect 14 cores.

After a clean install and then boot into system drive. The whole OS is stuttery and even typing causes pauses and double taps. I have tried going though the guide to see if there is anything im doing wrong but i dont spot anything. also skimming this thread is next to impossible. i really wish there was a better way to search this thread.

is there something im missing?

also if i reboot instead of cold boot i get stuck at "waiting for DSMOS" has anyone else experienced this and fixed?

also @kgp would u be able to share your whole efi folder?
even though i know its specific to your exact build but id like to see all u ended up with in the kext and acpi folders. The guide is a little confusing at times since there are a few parts that refer to older fixes and files that are now obsolete.

Last edited:
Change following BIOS Settings:

AVX Offset: 3
AVX-512 Offset: 2
CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores
CPU SVID Support: Enabled
DRAM Frequency: Put your DRAM Frequency
Max. Core Ratio: 40?

EFI-Folder:

You have the xcpm core scope Kernel Patch disabled in the config.plist! Did you unlock the MSR register in the BIOS? For BIOS Versions <1301 you have to patch the BIOS firmware. For BIOS Version 1301 you have to manually unlock the MSR in the original unpatched BIOS!

If your MSR register is not unlocked, your system won't boot without the xcpm core scope Kernel Patch enabled!

That's all I could figure out at first glance.

Cheers,

KGP

my bios version 1301
already 'MSR Lock Control' disabled
IMG_3628.JPG

KernelToPatch > 'xcpm core scope Kernel Patch' enbled

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 11.38.39 AM.jpg

but i have same problem.

IMG_3766.JPG

I thought of that too, but I would think that I'd see issues in Windows 10 as well if it were the cable.

I would try it anyway. You never know. If you have the same problem it could be some kind of driver initialization issue or something.

my bios version 1301
already 'MSR Lock Control' disabled
View attachment 330857

KernelToPatch > 'xcpm core scope Kernel Patch' enbled

View attachment 330856

but i have same problem.

View attachment 330858
you need to change fakesmc.kext and your efi folder must have TSCAdjustReset.kext

mob bios set you need to set
AVX Offset: 3
AVX-512 Offset: 2
or auto but if you set avx and avx 512 to auto, your cpu voltage must set manual ,the voltage value you can set from Windows cpuz ,sorry my English ,I hope it can be help you~~~

im building a almost identical build to this guide only i am using the i9-7940x and a Vega Frontier Edition gpu. mobo is x299 prime deluxe with the bios from the guide.

I modded the TSCAdjustRest.kext to 27 to reflect 14 cores.

After a clean install and then boot into system drive. The whole OS is stuttery and even typing causes pauses and double taps. I have tried going though the guide to see if there is anything im doing wrong but i dont spot anything. also skimming this thread is next to impossible. i really wish there was a better way to search this thread.

is there something im missing?

also if i reboot instead of cold boot i get stuck at "waiting for DSMOS" has anyone else experienced this and fixed?

also @kgp would u be able to share your whole efi folder?
even though i know its specific to your exact build but id like to see all u ended up with in the kext and acpi folders. The guide is a little confusing at times since there are a few parts that refer to older fixes and files that are now obsolete.

What refers to older fixes and which files are now obsolete?

Do you use the AVX offsets? Can you provide more details on your system configuration? BIOS settings? EFI-Folder?

you need to change fakesmc.kext and your efi folder must have TSCAdjustReset.kext
Already both in EFI/clover/kext/other folder..
It’s just before I go crazy..

Last edited:
Already both in EFI/clover/kext/other folder..
It’s just before I go crazy..
can you share your config.plist

my hackintosh is same as yours
i7 7820x
double corsair 16GB ddr4 3200mhz CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
AMD vega 64 8GB
Asus X299 Deluxe
WD sata 1T & 4Tx2
SAMSUNG MZVPW256GB
SanDisk SDSSDXPS960G
I met the same problem as your meet. I change fakesmc.kext.and everything works great

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back