Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your CINEBENCH test reports yours settings are very good.
So may be not an issue with your RX580 but with your recorder using Quicktime and specially since 10.13.4 as you tell.
Did you run Kext Utility to rebuild caches and others ?
I don't run Kext Utility to rebuild caches and others

Quicktime screen recording with NVIDIA without any issues under 10.13.4 SU. @Lexus1234, what about the Radeon 64 Vega Frontier?
Vega is good,RX560,570,580 will crashed in Mac OS 10.13.4

Yes it might be helpful :

Some people have repported having issue or not fully RX580 acceleration , for testing we can use for example CINEBENCH :
When the RX580 is good configured the test reports about 116/140 fps if not crappy 80 fps.

So according to the settings and screen capabilities we must enable Baffin ( DP or Hdmi port) or Ellesmere seems more better allows user both DP or ThunderboltEX3 with USB_C.

So we know that AMD9500Controller.kext through AMDRadeonX4000.kext enable the Baffin or Ellesmere personality of the Polaris 11 line of graphics cards.
But to unlock more performance. Due to Baffin or Ellesmere GPU using no more than 16 computing units, the RX 580 is restricted at 16 CUs. The genius minds in the Mac community (okras and Fl0r!an) have found yet another workaround to enable all 36 computing units on the RX 580. This should give a nice boost in OpenCL performance.

What we need to do :
1. download this script: https://www.theitsage.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/enable-baffin-CUs.sh_.zip
2. Terminal: chmod +x enable-baffin-CUs.sh
3. Terminal: for Ellesmere sudo ./enable-baffin-CUs.sh ellesmere 36 or just for Baffin sudo ./enable-baffin-CUs.sh baffin 36
4. Reboot.
When the RX580 is good configured the test reports about 116/140 fps if not crappy 80 fps.Processor single core frequency must reach maximum Turbo frequency

Hi!

I’m trying to build the bootable USB flash drive; I’ve followed step by step the section D of the guide (page 1 of this thread) until the point D.3) 4.) where I read: “For successfully booting your iMac Pro macOS USB Flash Drive Installer, the latter must however also contain a valid EFI- Folder with an SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 system definition. Thus, copy the EFI-Folder you prepared in Section D.1) to the yet empty EFI Partition of your iMac Pro macOS USB Flash Drive Installer.”, but I can’t understand where and how to copy the EFI folder previously created on the desktop. With Finder on the USB flash drive (name: “Install macOS High Sierra”) I find one file only: Install macOS High Sierra.app. Have I to copy the EFI directory beside this file, i.e. on the USB flash drive root directory? Thank you!

Hi!

I’m trying to build the bootable USB flash drive; I’ve followed step by step the section D of the guide (page 1 of this thread) until the point D.3) 4.) where I read: “For successfully booting your iMac Pro macOS USB Flash Drive Installer, the latter must however also contain a valid EFI- Folder with an SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 system definition. Thus, copy the EFI-Folder you prepared in Section D.1) to the yet empty EFI Partition of your iMac Pro macOS USB Flash Drive Installer.”, but I can’t understand where and how to copy the EFI folder previously created on the desktop. With Finder on the USB flash drive (name: “Install macOS High Sierra”) I find one file only: Install macOS High Sierra.app. Have I to copy the EFI directory beside this file, i.e. on the USB flash drive root directory? Thank you!

No.. to the EFI-Partition of your USB flash drive!

Well... I tried playing there.
With all cores running at 4.5, running cinebench, several cores jump immediately to 104-105C (the max), voltage is 1.2580.
It is stable with core voltage set to 1.2402 with temperature (max temp 103), but then cinebench then doesn't give me a much better score than with all cores set at 4.1GHz with default voltage (4002 in windows), and there temperatures are much better (below 80)...

How quickly the CPU gets in temperature indicates to me that delidding benefits aren't involved, nor the water cooling...

I'm so jealous that you could run it at 4.7GHz just fine.

I read various article where journalists report temperature of only 95C at 4.7GHz... I wonder how they achieved that. I had the same now with two different i9-7980xe

As soon some of your cores exceed 95 deg, they will be automatically throttled! Hence you dramatically loose performance. That’s why your cinebench scores stagnate when you choose higher CPU frequencies than 4.1 GHz on your system.

Once more.. with all cores of the i9-7980XE @4.4 GHz, you might need at least 2x 360mm radiators, and a sufficient amount of static pressure fans.

To run all cores of the i9-7980XE @4.7 GHz, you might need 3-4 radiators, 10-20 fans and likely a dual pump system.

when I use Mac os 10.13.3,everything is good,only 10.13.4 will appear problem with quicktime,and any Video recording softwares

Not only recording! I can confirm that my iMac Pro Crash on heavy gpu load aswell. Completely rebooting!

This wasn’t happening with the last beta version of 10.13.4, I am back aswell on 10.13.3 and everything work like it should.

Apple messed it up... again! :banghead:

Last edited:
Not only recording! I can confirm that my iMac Pro Crash on heavy gpu load aswell. Completely rebooting!

This wasn’t happening with the last beta version of 10.13.4, I am back aswell on 10.13.3 and everything work like it should. Apple messed it up... again! :banghead:

I would not blame Apple ;)...

I do not have any issues with 10.13.4 SU

Try to properly configure your system, and I am sure everything will be fine.

@kgp : You are kidding me right?
What should I try to configure properly on an original iMac Pro ?
Just tested 10.13.5 Beta same behavior...
You don't have an Vega in your Hackintosh and I use original Hardware so different story.
Everything works like it should but as soon I start to render it crashes, sometimes after 4 Teasers sometimes after 20.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-28 um 21.09.45.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back