Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@LeleTuratti ,

your last comment on InsanelyMac is wrong (page-9) ;)... Can't comment there on that currently, as the latter forum is once more updated and inaccessible.

No need to connect any TB device before booting the system. The TBEX 3 get's fully automatically initialised and implemented by OSX as soon a TB or TB XHC USB device will be connected to the already operational macOS system.

>>> https://youtu.be/JSNp75UOfq4 <<<

Give it a try with my SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml properly adapted to your system ;)..

Full TB Hot Plug Functionality! :headbang:;):thumbup:

Maybe you also need an update to SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 in addition?

Last edited:
I gave it a try adapted to my system (Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH, moved TB device from PC01.BR1A to PCI0.RP05) and sadly no hot swap. (recognizes the device as been unplugged, but not plugged back in). Also it's built in to the motherboard so I have no option to use the cable-disconnect trick. It seems the built in TB3 is implemented rather differently than the add-in cards.

I gave it a try adapted to my system (Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH, moved TB device from PC01.BR1A to PCI0.RP05) and sadly no hot swap. (recognizes the device as been unplugged, but not plugged back in). Also it's built in to the motherboard so I have no option to use the cable-disconnect trick. It seems the built in TB3 is implemented rather differently than the add-in cards.

sorry to hear that.. the other ACPI replacements within the TB SSDT implementation are modified as well correctly? Or did you just modify PC01.BR1A to PCI0.RP05?.. Which SMBIOS do you use?

@LeleTuratti ,

your last comment on InsanelyMac is wrong (page-9) ;)... Can't comment there on that currently, as the latter forum is once more updated and inaccessible.

No need to connect any TB device before booting the system. The TBEX 3 get's fully automatically initialised and implemented by OSX as soon a TB or TB XHC USB device will be connected to the already operational macOS system.

>>> https://youtu.be/JSNp75UOfq4 <<<

Give it a try with my SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml properly adapted to your system ;)..

Full TB Hot Plug Functionality! :headbang:;):thumbup:

Maybe you also need an update to SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 in addition?

If only it were true! Unfortunately (maybe) this only happens for Asus TBEX. :rolleyes:
Gigabyte Alpine Ridge instead, is not loaded correctly, even with the SSDT-X299 adapted with my routes, for this I was trying a new SSDT.
Try starting your built without any device connected to your TBEX and check if the PCI-TBEX card is loaded from the system.
Without THB_C and device.png

SSDT-TB3-Z370.aml

I do not think the iMac Pro SMbios will work properly on Z370 chipsets

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-Z370.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 110
If only it were true! Unfortunately (maybe) this only happens for Asus TBEX. :rolleyes:
Gigabyte Alpine Ridge instead, is not loaded correctly, even with the SSDT-X299 adapted with my routes, for this I was trying a new SSDT.
Try starting your built without any device connected to your TBEX and check if the PCI-TBEX card is loaded from the system.
View attachment 327738

SSDT-TB3-Z370.aml

I do not think the iMac Pro SMbios will work properly on Z370 chipsets

I already started my build without any TB or USB device connected to the TBEX 3.. That's what the latest movie linked above is all about... No need to do or try it again and again.. :lol:

I recently use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and the 10.13.4 iMacPro build also on my X99 rig. Works splendid ;) ... Thus, why it should not work with the Z370 chipsets? No idea if SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 is really mandatory for TB hot plug though..

sorry to hear that.. the other ACPI replacements within the TB SSDT implementation are modified as well correctly? Or did you just modify PC01.BR1A to PCI0.RP05?.. Which SMBIOS do you use?

I removed the devices that aren't applicable to my system (PEGP, SL01, etc) and just copy/pasted the TB3 section into a new SSDT (basically all of your PC01.BR1A scope) but also I didn't make the appropriate changes to the XHC found within it. Also, my board has 2 TB3 ports so that could be a factor as well? Not sure yet :) (Tinkering is half of the fun though)

Edit: I'm on SMBIOS 17,1

I removed the devices that aren't applicable to my system (PEGP, SL01, etc) and just copy/pasted the TB3 section into a new SSDT (basically all of your PC01.BR1A scope) but also I didn't make the appropriate changes to the XHC found within it. Also, my board has 2 TB3 ports so that could be a factor as well? Not sure yet :) (Tinkering is half of the fun though)

Edit: I'm on SMBIOS 17,1

But you also have to substitute PEGP, SL01, etc. with the correct values for your system and slot population.. The XHC implementation for the Alpine Ridge might be another additional story.. No idea if SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 is really required for TB Hot Plug...

But you also have to substitute PEGP, SL01, etc. with the correct values for your system and slot population.. The XHC implementation for the Alpine Ridge might be another additional story.. No idea if SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 is really required for TB Hot Plug...

Yeah in my case the substitution is UPSB for PXSX. I'll see how this new info gets used by others and if people report iMacPro1,1 being critical I'll try it :)

I already started my build without any TB or USB device connected to the TBEX 3.. That's what the latest movie linked above is all about... No need to do or try it again and again.. :lol:

I recently use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and the 10.13.4 iMacPro build also on my X99 rig. Works splendid ;) ... Thus, why it should not work with the Z370 chipsets? No idea if SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 is really mandatory for TB hot plug though..

Also tried the SMbios iMacPro, no difference :(
As soon as the computer was turned on the CPU temperature was quite high for some minute, now it seems stabilized
imacprosmbios.png

Hello, I'am a complete newbie looking with great interest this thread.
I would sincerely like to thanks you KGP for your kindness to share your user guide.
I'am looking for the latest revision of the guide, since there is more than 719 pages, the latest revision is in page 667 but there is no link to it.

Could you just tell for the rookie where i can find the latest version of your guide ?

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back