Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by you "basically followed the guide step by step as per Bios settings"?

I mean I followed the fastest settings you described.
Should I disable one of this two "ASUS MultiCore Enhancement" AND/OR "CPU Core Ratio - Sync All Core"
and start from there?

Thanks that was supereasy and a little stupid on my part.
Now the settings are as per the guide.
I didn't tweak the voltage yet.

I have another doubt though, CPU temps.
My Hardware is:
Asus Prime X299-A
i9-7900X
NH-D15 with double fan and the case is open at this stage.

When I run cinebench 15 all cores have a freq of 4.5Ghz
Temps spike immediately, Fans speed ramps up immediately

CPU Package and CPU Heatsink reach 105°
CPU Core A 85°
Some of the individual Cores 100°/105°
Some of the Individual Cores 85°/95°
Mainboard Proximity 93 and Ambient 93°

Should I re-apply the thermal paste?
Should I lover the voltage?

Any thought?
Thanks a lot.

Lower CPU input voltage + CPU core voltage and don't use AUTO settings in Bios!

For Intel Skylake-X use a waterblock!

You should not use HWMonitor, but iStatMenus! Is it so difficult to follow my instructions?

Isn't iStat Menu a paid app?

I mean I followed the fastest settings you described.
Should I disable one of this two "ASUS MultiCore Enhancement" AND/OR "CPU Core Ratio - Sync All Core"
and start from there?

How can you apply the fastest settings with an air flow cooler???

Disable "ASUS MultiCore Enhancement", set "CPU Core Ratio" to "Auto" and start with a max. turbo frequency of 4.0 GHz!

Lower CPU input voltage + CPU core voltage and don't use AUTO settings in Bios!

For Intel Skylake-X use a waterblock!

The person who's going to use this Mac is a photographer. He keeps hardware in 4/6 years cycles.
He lives away from me and from the city center.
De-lidding and installing a a water block means it's going to leak as he doesn't know a thing beside how being a creative director and a photographer.
That's why no de-lidding and air cooling.

Isn't iStat Menu a paid app?

And.. any problem with that? HWMonitor is not working at all! You have to use iStatMenus!

The person who's going to use this Mac is a photographer. He keeps hardware in 4/6 years cycles.
He lives away from me and from the city center.
De-lidding and installing a a water block means it's going to leak as he doesn't know a thing beside how being a creative director and a photographer.
That's why no de-lidding and air cooling.

If you have to stay with air flow cooling, please consider my advises in post #6106 above. Note the possibility of purchasing closed of-the-shelf CPU water blocking system like the Corsair H150i or the Thermaltake Floe Riing 360, which will be much more suited for your application.

I'm using iStat, same here, only package showing

istat.jpeg

EDIT: and i think @interferenc CPUSensors are not perfect.

For my CPU it shows only for 8 of 10 cores the multiplier and for 8 of 10 cores the frequency.

Last edited:
And.. any problem with that? HWMonitor is not working at all! You have to use iStatMenus!

No problem with that beside I don't personally need it as I use AMD hackintoshes and slow macs that don't need monitoring.
The person that will use this would rather be given the least possible amount of info.
If I need it I will get it. I didn't know HWMonitor doesn't work and gives wrong info.

I'm implementing the changes you suggested now. Thanks a lot for that!!!

I'm using iStat, same here, only package showing

View attachment 317699

I already confirmed that the new Kozlek distribution is not properly working. What about just using his recent GPU Sensor kext with the former HWSensor and FakeSMC distribution of @interferenc?

With my Nvidia GPU the latter approach is working:

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 11.29.25.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back