Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide update to 10.13.3 SA (17D2102) completed

New EFI Folder implemented in and attached to the originating post of this thread (guide) and once more attached here below.

EFI-Folder related changes:
  • Implementation of Clover Boot Loader distribution Clover_v2.4k_r4411
  • Implementation of CPU "PluginType" injection in config.plist by checking "PluginType" in Section "ACPI" of Clover Configurator
Guide related modifications:

Minor updates/modifications to account for 10.13.3 SA (17D2102) and 10.13.4 Public Beta 3 (17E160e) implementations.

Enjoy and have fun,

View attachment 314746

Do I just need to apply the step D.1 to "EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-200218" folder and update with kext files before updating OS?

another laggy driver for the maxwell cards, 106 is still the best choice
is there any way to get "iMac Pro" in "About This Mac"?

@dk1306 , same graphic card and driver .159 lag in 980ti , I returned to .106 is the best option.

I use smbios iMacpro 1,1

@stevelucky, @jaraheel :

Perhaps you can start without the full copy of KGP's CLOVER folder. I also don't have an Asus mobo (mine is MSI) and nonetheless the system is working fine.

For example, I suggest you start with a very simple kext/Other/ folder. Go for a vanilla FakeSMC from Rehabman (@stevelucky, you had a KP after loading the FakeSMC kext); make sure you use VoodooTSCSync (correctly configured with the # of cores - 1); remove other kexts.

@jaraheel: it seems you get a KP with the network kext. Are you trying to load an external ethernet kext? If yes, make sure you remove it.

I also suggest you start with a very plain config.plist. Unselect most of the things, don't add the patches that kgp has.

And finally, check the BIOS. You might have some setting there that does not show on the Asus or MSI or Gigabyte mobo and that might be causing the KP.

Just to make this clear: I don't think the distro here is wrong. But I suspect there is a tiny issue in your mobo that is making it impossible to use it as it is. So by going to a very bare-bones installation, and then slowly adding the different settings, you might be able to find out what could be the issue.

I find it hard to believe that there is a X299 mobo out there that does not work on a hackintosh, and that can't use this guide.

Good luck!

Thank You for this great guide. One question regarding USB. I have the USB Limit patch active and tried to disable unused USB Ports via USB-SSDT.aml, using a script from https://github.com/cnrd/OSX-USB-SSDT. However, nothing happens when the resulting USB-SSDT.aml is placed into EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched. Should I worry about the 15 Port Limitation or not? Kind regards.

You should not worry about the port limit. The current port limit patch extends the port limit anyway to 26 ports. Forget about USB-SSDT.aml

Cheers,

KGP

@kgp
question related to power management, in your guide you wrote:

Is PMC1 (or PMCR once patched) supposed to show in the IORegistryExplorer?

I'm wondering as I'm not seeing this on my GA board, and what to do to find the equivalent.
Thanks

Yes you should find PMCR after the patch.. but likely the ACPI Replacement PMC1 -> PMCR does not work, as the original variable is not called PMC1 on the Disagnare EX..

Do I just need to apply the step D.1 to "EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-200218" folder and update with kext files before updating OS?

Which kext files you want to update? With the patched ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, you can boot with the EFI-Folder contained in "EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-200218" straight away your USB Flash Drive.. just disable the xcpm core scope kernel patch in addition!

To complete the EFI-Folder of "EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-200218" for your system disk, you have to pass all steps of the post installation procedure. If you already have a former EFI-Folder that is complete, just transfer the missing information and data to the new EFI-Folder contained in "EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-200218"

Good luck,

KGP

this is the value you want...

your MSR is unlocked.
The guide about what value should be returned using RDMSR is incorrect.

if you go into clover and start the bdmesg.efi or look at the log, you'll see:
MSR 0xE2 before patch 00000402

What is incorrect in my guide?

I'm having an issue with step C1:

Code:
rm -rf AptioMemFix
git clone https://github.com/Pavo-IM/AptioMemFix
rm -rf ~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/
rm -rf ~/Desktop/AptioFix/
mv AptioMemFix/ ~/Desktop/
chmod +x ~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh
~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh

I'm getting errors on the last two lines.

Code:
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ rm -rf AptioMemFix
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ git clone https://github.com/Pavo-IM/AptioMemFix
Cloning into 'AptioMemFix'...
remote: Counting objects: 70, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (48/48), done.
remote: Total 70 (delta 25), reused 66 (delta 22), pack-reused 0
Unpacking objects: 100% (70/70), done.
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ rm -rf ~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ rm -rf ~/Desktop/AptioFix/
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ mv AptioMemFix/ ~/Desktop/
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ chmod +x ~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh
chmod: /Users/steven/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh: No such file or directory
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ ~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh
-bash: /Users/steven/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh: No such file or directory
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$

And then I only have the AptioMemFix folder on my desktop. Am I messing something up?

The other question I have is regarding installing to an M.2 drive. If I need to format the destination M.2 drive as HFS+ and copy the EFI folder over, how do I do that on my machine? If I have an SSD it's easy to do as I can install it easily on another machine but an M.2 drive isn't that easy to move over. I don't have another machine that I can install it on to format the drive and copy over the EFI directory. Can I do it from the setup utility during install?

I'm having an issue with step C1:

Code:
rm -rf AptioMemFix
git clone https://github.com/Pavo-IM/AptioMemFix
rm -rf ~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/
rm -rf ~/Desktop/AptioFix/
mv AptioMemFix/ ~/Desktop/
chmod +x ~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh
~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh

I'm getting errors on the last two lines.

Code:
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ rm -rf AptioMemFix
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ git clone https://github.com/Pavo-IM/AptioMemFix
Cloning into 'AptioMemFix'...
remote: Counting objects: 70, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (48/48), done.
remote: Total 70 (delta 25), reused 66 (delta 22), pack-reused 0
Unpacking objects: 100% (70/70), done.
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ rm -rf ~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ rm -rf ~/Desktop/AptioFix/
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ mv AptioMemFix/ ~/Desktop/
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ chmod +x ~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh
chmod: /Users/steven/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh: No such file or directory
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$ ~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh
-bash: /Users/steven/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh: No such file or directory
Stevens-MBP:~ steven$

And then I only have the AptioMemFix folder on my desktop. Am I messing something up?

The other question I have is regarding installing to an M.2 drive. If I need to format the destination M.2 drive as HFS+ and copy the EFI folder over, how do I do that on my machine? If I have an SSD it's easy to do as I can install it easily on another machine but an M.2 drive isn't that easy to move over. I don't have another machine that I can install it on to format the drive and copy over the EFI directory. Can I do it from the setup utility during install?

1.) AptioMemoryFix.efi is now part of clover and also part of my EFI distribution. No need to do what you do..

2.) You can format the M.2 during the macOS installation..

2.) You can format the M.2 during the macOS installation..

That part isn't that hard, but don't I need to copy over the EFI folder into the EFI partition? How do I do that during installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back