Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!
I got my asus deluxe today and started installation. I am having difficulties updating BIOS with X299D.CAP file. When I try to update BIOS in the BIOS menu it says that X299D.CAP is not bios file. If I follow instruction on page one and press BIOS-Flashback button it blinks three times then stays blue for 5 min or so. How long should it take to flash BIOS with the file in USB?

Hello everyone!
I got my asus deluxe today and started installation. I am having difficulties updating BIOS with X299D.CAP file. When I try to update BIOS in the BIOS menu it says that X299D.CAP is not bios file. If I follow instruction on page one and press BIOS-Flashback button it blinks three times then stays blue for 5 min or so. How long should it take to flash BIOS with the file in USB?

You cannot use the X299D.CAP within the BIOS. You HAVE to use EZ Flashback with X299D.CAP

Use a USB3.0 Flash Drive formatted in FAT32 with MBR connected to the EZ Flashback USB port!

Press the EZ Flashback button for 3 seconds.

The light stops blinking and just turns off when the EZ Flashback procedure has finished.

The EZ Flashback only turns static in case of error!

Is it so difficult to read my guide?

Good luck,

KGP

Hey guys,

Sorry to start a conspiracy, but I’ve noticed an issue on 10.13.3.

I am getting kernel panics when I play music in iTunes or when I play files in finder using the space at preview. iTunes KPs happen at random, sometimes on the first song I play, sometimes after 30mins of playing. I can play music in Spotify and other apps without this issue.

If I just leave iTunes open but not playing music, it will survive for a couple hours before Kp. If I never open iTunes, system will stay up for days, no kp.

I’m a beginner at solving these issues. Is there a method to get a log of the kp? I am looking in console but not finding anything that looks obvious.

Thank you for your help and patience! Is anyone else experiencing this?

Hey guys,

Sorry to start a conspiracy, but I’ve noticed an issue on 10.13.3.

I am getting kernel panics when I play music in iTunes or when I play files in finder using the space at preview. iTunes KPs happen at random, sometimes on the first song I play, sometimes after 30mins of playing. I can play music in Spotify and other apps without this issue.

If I just leave iTunes open but not playing music, it will survive for a couple hours before Kp. If I never open iTunes, system will stay up for days, no kp.

I’m a beginner at solving these issues. Is there a method to get a log of the kp? I am looking in console but not finding anything that looks obvious.

Thank you for your help and patience! Is anyone else experiencing this?

I guess your problem is rather your homemade system configuration than 10.13.3 ;)

At least you witness yourself when starting an inadequate conspiracy :lol:

iTunes just works flawless, also with 10.13.3 ;)

Happy bug fixing, dude! ;)

I'd like to report a small improvement with the Nvidia drivers from version 157 to 159.

Please note that I have been influenced by the lower performance problem when moving to SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. Before (iMac18,3), I had a score of 1755 on Heaven Extreme 2560x1440, which was similar to the results under Windows 10. Now (iMacPro1,1) I got just 1149. That's a 35% reduction in performance :( The latest drivers (159) did not improve this.

However, I also had the problem of jerky movements in OpenGL, like in this page:
http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/
Every few seconds, the rippples in the water would freeze for half a second or so.

But with the new Nvidia WebDriver and macOS 17D2102 this does not happen anymore. The animation is smooth. Also the "Finder Window Test" (open 2 Finder Windows, and drag or resize the unselected one) works smoothly now.

So it seems there is some improvement. Let's hope it continues and I get the full performance back with 10.13.4...:rolleyes:

Use a USB3.0 Flash Drive formatted in FAT32 with MBR connected to the EZ Flashback USB port!

FWIW, flash never fully worked when using a USB 3.0 64GB stick for me, but a 8GB 2.0 did.
Was weird as after flashing with the 3.0 64GB, I could see the new post image, but the MSR 0xE2 register was still locked.

So weither it's 3.0 VS 2.0 or 8GB vs 64GB that made it work I can't say. But one didn't work

FWIW, flash never fully worked when using a USB 3.0 64GB stick for me, but a 8GB 2.0 did.
Was weird as after flashing with the 3.0 64GB, I could see the new post image, but the MSR 0xE2 register was still locked.

So weither it's 3.0 VS 2.0 or 8GB vs 64GB that made it work I can't say. But one didn't work

Yep, I am having the same issue. It says that FW is 1102 now, was 1004, but the MSR 0xE2 register was still locked. Tried with both USB3 and USB2. I am sure it is either I am doing something else wrong or it it related to USB.
By the way, should the blue light just stay on or continue blinking during BIOS update? In my case when I release the button it continues blinking during the whole process then stops.

By the way, should the blue light just stay on or continue blinking during BIOS update? In my case when I release the button it continues blinking during the whole process then stops.

It blinks while updating. Takes several minutes.
It took me a few go before the MSR register showed up as unlocked.

Hi,
I'm pretty new to this hackingtosh stuff.
only have had one hackingtosh build before a Asus P8H77-I Socket 1155 with an i5-3570k cpu and no gpu
and that hack was straigth forward. used unibeast to make the usb installer and just ran it and it worked..

But now i'm trying to get MacOS running on my daily user..
Have followed the instructions as in the first post,
i have configured the bios and done the patch (on the rampage u have to rename the patched bios file to R6E.CAP)
and the creation of the usb installer had no problems (at least i think)

Only when ran the installer i ran into some major problems..
2 min into the installation i get this screen
telling me
IMac.local com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.windowserver.XXX) <warning>: Service exited with abnormal code: 1
IMac.local com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.windowserver) <notice>: service only ran for 0 seconds. pushing respawn out by 10 sec
and so it goes on and on with XXX just increasing the numbers

not sure if this is caused by that i have a Rampage vi Extreme card or the 2x 1080ti's or my 128gb ram

only hoping someone here can tell me whats going on..
cuz i'm like so close to spending like 12k on a Imac Pro now. and i dont want that :D hehe

oki helped myself here.. was that 2nd gtx1080ti card that caused that problem..
btw: anyone running 2x gpu cards on a hackingtosh ??

pete1959 said:
Is this on your Gigabyte board?
In which case the MSR 0xE2 register is not locked and you shouldn't do the bios mod. You should use VoodooTSCSync kext, which is a LOT easier and gives no trouble, and doesn't void the warranty on your motherboard.
If it's on an Asus board you should probably change your sig :p

Same goes for the DESIGNARE. Not locked and you shouldn't use a bios mod.

Pete, just to clarify a few things:

1.) Rulebreaker01 formerly used the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe or ASUS X299 Prime-A before recently changing to the Desingare EX.
2.) @rauan1 just changed for the Gigabyte X299 UD4 to the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe

Please read the former posts and you will understand the ongoing discussion between the two guys, which in my personal opinion anyway just highlights application errors at user side.

Nothing really to comment here like you did..

Cheers,

KGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back