Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
More info about E.9.2) SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml PCI Implementation ? I dont know how to do that implementation . i downloaded the software but i dont know how to use it :(

Interesting..... see @kgp i ask the questions to users like this who i receive answers as such from... thank you @pete1959 for the response.

My appologies as i didnt see your comment a few days ago (this thread gets hectic). you really believe that the issue could be from the bios patch?

Just change thread as recommended by myself above and all shall be fine for both sides...

Good night.

@pete1959 thank you for all your help. i was able to discover based off your info that the issue is steming from having 3 connected displays (which do function in the os) however the third must be unplugged for updates/recovery/installer.

as well upon boot it first mirrors the displays then separates them so my spaces are getting messed up.

atleast i know the problem. now something to look into. thanks again!

Great. A few guys have said that. If you need more than 2 screens you need more than 1 Vega. A lot of better people than me have come to that conclusion.
I have 2 34" Dells so it's good :D
Oh, one black screen issue (3rd screen) I had was when my monitor had DP1.2 enabled. I disabled it and then it was fine. I haven't tested that with the Vega - it was on my old Fury and Sierra.

im using 2 dp>dvi and hdmi... so i dont think the dp1.2 issue is relevant.

and lol buying a second vega for a third display which works everywhere but the installer/recovery/updates, seems kinda dumb. im sure there is a fix for it somehow.

Hey Dude..
Thanks one more time for the best quide.
Can u please upload the 1004 patced bios ?
Of course I will use it under my own responsibility.
Thanks again.

Hi @kgp:

I was re-reading your guide yesterday evening, to check the iMacPro1,1 changes, and I thought that an Table of Contents would be a good idea. I just made one. I added some short comments on a few sections, when I thought the title was not clear enough. Feel free to use it if you think it can be useful. Of course, it does add more work when you change a section, this is not LaTeX after all ;)

While doing the Table of Contents I noticed a few issues:

• E.10) System Overview CPU Cosmetics
    Is this still necessary with iMacPro1,1?

• F.1) Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce EB 11GB Extreme Edition Benchmarking
    Should be F.2
  • There are still two references to the iMac17,1 in the guide. Perhaps they can be replaced with iMacPro1,1?

Here's the TOC:

A.) Hardware Overview

B.) Mainboard BIOS

B1.) ASUS BIOS Firmware Patching
Unlock MSR 0xE2 register for native OSX XCPM power management.

B2.) ASUS BIOS Configuration

B3.) - Initial Gigabyte BIOS Configuration
C.) Important General Note/Advice and Error Prevention
Recommendations on NVIDIA, AMD cards, VoodooTSCSync, etc. Make sure you've read all of this before complaining that something does not work.
D.) iMac Pro macOS 10.13 High Sierra System Setup
There is no official downloadable installer for the iMacPro1,1. Here's how to officially built one. Only pristine sources from Apple.

D.1) iMac Pro EFI-Folder Preparation

D.2) iMac Pro macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C2120) Installer Package Creation

D.3) iMac Pro macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C2120) USB Flash Drive Installer Creation

D.4) iMac Pro macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C2120) Clean Install on Skylake-X/X299

D.5) Direct iMac Pro conversions of a functional Skylake-X/X299 with a SMBIOS System Definition different from iMacPro1,1 and a standard macOS build implementation
What to do if your X299 system is using a different SMBIOS and you want to change to iMacPro1,1 without reinstalling from scratch.

D.6) iMac Pro macOS High Sierra Build Updates

E.) Post Installation Process

E.1) Xnu CPU Power Management (XCPM) Configuration

E.2) Graphics Configuration
Nvidia Web Driver Installation and Black Screen Prevention

E.3) Audio Configuration
Use only one of the following:
E.3.1.) AppleALC Audio Implementation
E.3.2) VoodooHDA Audio Implementation
E.3.3) cloverALC Audio Implementation

E.4) USB Configuration
With some benchmarks

E.5) ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe Thunderbolt EX3 PCIe Add-On Implementation

E.6) NVMe configuration
Nothing to be done here

E.7.) SSD TRIM Support
Extend the life of your SSD and maintained its normal speed

E.8) ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe on-board Ethernet-Functionality

E.9) ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe PCI Device Implementation - Sleep/Wake functionality
E.9.1) ACPI DSDT Replacement Implementation
E.9.2) SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml PCI Implementation
E.9.2.1) - HDEF - onboard PCI Audio Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.2) - GFX0, HDAU - Nvidia Graphics Card and HDMI/DP Audio PCI implementation
E.9.2.3) - SBUS - onboard System Management Bus (SMBUS) Controller Implementation
E.9.2.4) - LPCB - onboard Printed Circuit Board Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.5) - IMEI - onboard Intel Management Engine Interface (IMEI) Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.6) - PMCR - onboard Power Management Controller (PMC) PCI Implementation
E.9.2.7) - XHCI - onboard Extended Host Controller Interface (XHCI) PCI Implementation
E.9.2.8) - XHC2,3,4 - ASMedia ASM3142 USB 3.1 Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.9) - ANS2 - Apple NVMe Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.10) - SAT1 - Intel AHCI SATA Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.11) - XGBE/ETH1 - onboard LAN Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.12) - ARPT - OSX WIFI Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth 4.0 AirPort Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.13) - ThunderboltEX 3 Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.13) - DTGP Method

E.10) System Overview CPU Cosmetics

E.11) Logic-X and Audio Studio Software Functionality

F.) Benchmarking

F.1) Sylake-X Intel I9-7980XE CPU Benchmarking

F.2) Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce EB 11GB Extreme Edition Benchmarking

G.) Summary and Conclusion

Attachments

• X29IT1.40.zip
    11.2 MB · Views: 69
  • X299UD4.F4.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 62
I'm still trying to figure out why I keep getting kernel panic on wake.

So, here I am, reading through the guide once again, very happy to see that it is back after all.
In section E.9.2.3) - "SBUS - onboard System Management Bus (SMBUS) Controller Implementation", I am supposed to verify device path "PCI0.SBUS" but searching with the IORegistryExplorer there is no such device.
Am I doing it wrong?

Hey Dude..
Thanks one more time for the best quide.
Can u please upload the 1004 patced bios ?
Of course I will use it under my own responsibility.
Thanks again.

Hey yo,
Here is mine, follow all the Terminal code, flashing good.
Now you may seen some people experience the Flashing BIOS light stay solid, here is the tip,
Make sure your USB Flash drive complete format with FAT32, no EFI partition on that flash drive, use Window format is the best option. I ran into the BIOS light stay solid too cuz I was using ones of my flash drive been formatted with Mac Journey,
If you doing it right, you will see the flash drive blinking at the same time with BIOS flash light, (see the Video Attached)
Let me know how it goes, :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

• X299D.CAP.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6913.m4v.zip
    11.3 MB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:
I did the bios flash, but I don't feel any difference :lol: Should I feel more UI smoothness or performance improvement? :)

I found these lines when I checked the patched bios:

Code:
0:103  0:000  MSR 0xE2 before patch 00000402
0:103  0:000  MSR 0xCE              00070C2C_F3012400
0:103  0:000  MSR 0x1A0             00850089
0:103  0:000  MSR 0x1B0             00000000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back