Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I correctly remember it was some TB studio audio hardware. I guess it was mainly some driver issue.

If slot 5 works for you, fine with me.

I am not the only one recommending to use the TBEX 3 in slot 4...

Up to you...

It looks like I'm mistaken on the slot #. Slot 5 is X1 only and is disabled by default. Slot 3 would be the slot to use. It's X16 physically and runs at X4, and TBEX3 is X4. So it would be best to put TBEX3 in Slot 3 actually. That would allow me to put a 2nd GPU and an audio accelerator card in Slot 4 (X16) and Slot 6 (X8) in the future if I decide to go that route.

Where can I find information regarding that audio hardware? I'd like to make sure it won't affect me if I put TBEX3 in Slot 3. Was it in this thread somewhere?

It looks like I'm mistaken on the slot #. Slot 5 is X1 only and is disabled by default. Slot 3 would be the slot to use. It's X16 physically and runs at X4, and TBEX3 is X4. So it would be best to put TBEX3 in Slot 3 actually. That would allow me to put a 2nd GPU and an audio accelerator card in Slot 4 (X16) and Slot 6 (X8) in the future if I decide to go that route.

Where can I find information regarding that audio hardware? I'd like to make sure it won't affect me if I put TBEX3 in Slot 3. Was it in this thread somewhere?

Are you sure slot 5 is x1 and not x4?

You might not find any information related to issues with TB studio audio hardware along this thread or forum. I basically know about this problems from earlier discussions with others.

Try not to theoretize everything up to the most tiny detail. Make your own experiments, tests and conclusions.

Good luck,

KGP

Are you sure slot 5 is x1 and not x4?

Page 1-7 (23 of the PDF) of the manual says Slot 5 is labeled as "PCIEX1_2" in the drawing and "PCIE 3.0/2.0 x1_2 slot" in the table below it.

Also on page ix (9 of the PDF) it lists for 44-Lane CPU (12-core & 10-core CPUs):

3 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x16 slots (single@x16, dual@x16/x16, triple@x16/x16/x8 mode)
1 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x16 slot (PCIEX16_2 max. at x4 mode and compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)
2 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x1 slots (compatible with PCIe x1 devices)

So yes, Slot 5 is only x1 speed. In fact, Slot 5 shares bandwidth with the WiFi card slot and is disabled by default. I will be using a DW1830 (hopefully it works) in the WiFi m.2 slot, so Slot 5 will actually be disabled anyway. Slot 2 is also disabled by default because it shares bandwidth with SATA6G_7.

You might not find any information related to issues with TB studio audio hardware along this thread or forum. I basically know about this problems from earlier discussions with others.

Try not to theoretize everything up to the most tiny detail. Make your own experiments, tests and conclusions.

Good luck,

KGP

Just trying to minimize the problems I might come across.

Thanks.

Reactions: kgp
Page 1-7 (23 of the PDF) of the manual says Slot 5 is labeled as "PCIEX1_2" in the drawing and "PCIE 3.0/2.0 x1_2 slot" in the table below it.

Also on page ix (9 of the PDF) it lists for 44-Lane CPU (12-core & 10-core CPUs):

3 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x16 slots (single@x16, dual@x16/x16, triple@x16/x16/x8 mode)
1 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x16 slot (PCIEX16_2 max. at x4 mode and compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)
2 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x1 slots (compatible with PCIe x1 devices)

So yes, Slot 5 is only x1 speed. In fact, Slot 5 shares bandwidth with the WiFi card slot and is disabled by default. I will be using a DW1830 (hopefully it works) in the WiFi m.2 slot, so Slot 5 will actually be disabled anyway. Slot 2 is also disabled by default because it shares bandwidth with SATA6G_7.

Just trying to minimize the problems I might come across.

Thanks.

o.k....

Please provide your Skylake-X/X299 system specs in either your profile or signature, in compliance with the board rules ..

Thanks in advance,

KGP

o.k....

Please provide your Skylake-X/X299 system specs in either your profile or signature, in compliance with the board rules ..

Thanks in advance,

KGP

I don't have all the parts yet. Just getting the files ready for install and initial setup right now. Getting all my ducks in a row as the saying goes. But I guess I can add it now for clarification. It is for the Asus Prime X299-Deluxe though.

Hi,

so far my system is working quite nice and without issues. :)

One thing i noticed is that i'm not able to play back DRM protected movies in iTunes. Trailers play without problems but when opening any bought movie only a black screen appears and the play/pause button has no effect.
I tried to log out of my iTunes account and log back in a couple of days later but it does not change anything.
At some point i got a message from iTunes stating something like "playback isn't possible because of HDCP is not available".
I do not remeber the exact wording. But since this message hasn't appeared any more.
Also i tried to fiddle around with shiki.kext and nvdiagraphicsfixup.kext and some of their respective options but that didn't help either.
All other icloud/iTunes/iMessage related features work without any issues

I'm using an EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB.

Is playback of DRM protected movies possible with this setup?

Hi,

so far my system is working quite nice and without issues. :)

One thing i noticed is that i'm not able to play back DRM protected movies in iTunes. Trailers play without problems but when opening any bought movie only a black screen appears and the play/pause button has no effect.
I tried to log out of my iTunes account and log back in a couple of days later but it does not change anything.
At some point i got a message from iTunes stating something like "playback isn't possible because of HDCP is not available".
I do not remeber the exact wording. But since this message hasn't appeared any more.
Also i tried to fiddle around with shiki.kext and nvdiagraphicsfixup.kext and some of their respective options but that didn't help either.
All other icloud/iTunes/iMessage related features work without any issues

I'm using an EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB.

Is playback of DRM protected movies possible with this setup?

What about using Shiki.kext?

https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki

No.

To configure speed shift? Should run OoB...

You revised your BIOS settings and included TSCResetAdjust.kext?

Any more detailed report is welcome..

I must have missed the TSCResetAdjust.kext, that fixed it, thank you so much!!!!!!!!!

I tried it without being able to play back the DRM content.
But i will investigate further if it is possible with "our" X299 and NVIDIA GPU.

So my question is if it is generally possible with this combination?
Does it work for others in this thread?

I tried it without being able to play back the DRM content.
But i will investigate further if it is possible with "our" X299 and NVIDIA GPU.

So my question is if it is generally possible with this combination?
Does it work for others in this thread?

Yes, Shiki usually solves the HDCP/DRM playback issue.

I guess you simply messed up something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back