Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to prepare an NVMe SSD (Samsung 960 PRO) for the installation, but don’t know how to do that with my MacBook Pro: it have no possibility to connect with the NVMe SSD.

If you search for "M.2 SSD External Enclosure USB 3.0", a suitable adapter enclosure for an NVMe SSD such as the
Samsung 960 Pro doesn't seem to be available yet. Rumors of later this year, perhaps.
A work-around solution would be: use a USB-C -> SATA adapter cable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0133F30R8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
& standard 2.5" SSD to create a bootable macOS installation to the external SSD.
Once that's done, clone the external 2.5" SSD to the internal Samsung 960 NVMe SSD.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

With the AMD vega 64 or frontier gpus, will two 4k monitors with displayport (@60hz) and one hdmi monitor (total of 3) work OoB (with the vega fix kext) without any issues or problems?

Same question with the rx 580?

It's really important I get triple monitor setup with two of them being 4k res @ 60hz and the other hdmi. And if these two different families of cards don't in this x299 setup , then what card will?

If you search for "M.2 SSD External Enclosure USB 3.0", a suitable adapter enclosure for an NVMe SSD such as the
Samsung 960 Pro doesn't seem to be available yet. Rumors of later this year, perhaps.
A work-around solution would be: use a USB-C -> SATA adapter cable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0133F30R8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
& standard 2.5" SSD to create a bootable macOS installation to the external SSD.
Once that's done, clone the external 2.5" SSD to the internal Samsung 960 NVMe SSD.
Thank you, I will try that work around.

Hello @flmmkr, before "sticking my hand" to me 7980xe, I read a lot about this and saw many videos about delid, I'm not an advanced user when it comes to Hackintosh and I like to inform me as much as I can. According to videos that I have seen, there are people (not all) who have uncovered their processors after 10-12 months of doing delid and have found that the liquid grizzly had damaged the silicon of the processor since it had corroded part of the ihs and this corrosion had affected the whole. I do not know if this happened due to excess Grizzly liquid or by default of the ihs or any other cause, you know that on the internet there are opinions for everyone and everyone seems to be an engineer, but when in doubt ... I opted to find another solution and I chose the Copper IHS, it does not spoil with the delid and the passage of time and improves the thermal conductivity in 1-2 degrees also keeps your original IHS intact and it is not a lot of investment, these components are expensive and you have to risk the minimum. I also bought a high temperature silicone (Permatex) to seal the components around the processor silicon to prevent the Grizzly liquid (which is conductive) from making contact with the exposed processor components. I hope I have helped as much as possible and sorry for my English ...
If you do a little more research and read about the actual causes, you'll find those issues are actually very likely due to not applying the liquid metal properly. It's usually from not putting on the right amount of LM (likely too much) and from air gaps between the die and IHS and/or the IHS and heatsink. Proper application should not cause that, but because it may be too easy to not do it properly, for most people it's probably better to not do the delid and to use a normal thermal paste for the cooler.

You need to put your machine to sleep, wait until it wakes up by itself, then use pmset -g log.
The output is very long, hundreds of lines, don't copy/paste it here. Attach the file.

In there it will show you exactly what caused the wake.

I was just able to test it. It came back after a few minutes I sent it to sleep.

Attachments

• log after wake up.txt
    1 MB · Views: 181
If I'm using an RX 480 do I need to use a helper card? Sorry if this has already been asked.

RX 480 is supported you may be use WhateverGreen.kext to prevent issue but since 10.13.4 Amd Polaris like RX 570 or RX 580 also RX 480 take a look here #7276 ( and WhateverGreen.kext is not needed now)

had this before, reason was InstanON plugin from Audio Hijack. Please check if you have those and then remove, Sound panel should load again
I've never seen a plugin with that name. Where is it and how do I disable it ?

Hey KGP, I'm prepping files for building my iMacPro Hackintosh. I wanted to get the latest AptioMemoryFix.efi and the code in the guide doesn't work. When I type this line in terminal:

Code:
chmod +x ~/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh

I get the error: "chmod: /Users/xxxxxxx/Desktop/AptioMemFix/AptioMemory_Builder.sh: No such file or directory"

EDIT: The issue seems to be that when cloning the git project with the previous command there is no "AptioMemory_Builder.sh" in that folder. I only see "Dockerfile" and "setup.sh" in the AptioMemFix folder.

EDIT: I guess I don't need to build this anyway since the latest version appears to be included in the EFI folder you provide?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back