Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point 3 is exactly what I reported a few pages back on this thread. Could you please share with us if you find a solution?

Yes I'm trying some things including trying to find a firmware update for this NGFF card. Will report back.

I really want to use the Space Gray iMac Pro keyboard that Apple now sells, so....

So far the Apple wireless keyboard works fine, but I can't use it in the BIOS or Clover. I can use it in Windows (I dual boot High Sierra/Win10) but making Clover unusable I can't pick the OS from the Clover menu without connecting a USB keyboard.

I also have cheap $10 USB BT dongle I will try to see if it supports HID Proxy. Maybe I can use that for the keyboard and the NGFF card for Wifi/BT for other stuff like wireless headphones.

Point 3 is exactly what I reported a few pages back on this thread. Could you please share with us if you find a solution?

Ok just to update, it seems that the BT module supports HCI, which is important.

But it seems this keyboard (older Apple Wireless Keyboard) doesn't support BIOS level booting?

Apple uses EFI and not BIOS. So this might be related.

Anyway, heres a screenshot of the BT module features and it seems to support all important ones.

I need to test the new space gray full keyboard from apple since they don't sell wired ones anymore at the stores. That might have "fixed" this issue.

It seems that the small BT dongle I have didn't work either (it uses same Broadcom chipset).

I honestly am ok with this since I'm in macOS 99% of the time and I can use the mouse to select the OS to boot into and if I need to go into the BIOS, I'll just connect a wired keyboard temporarily.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 4.08.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 4.08.19 PM.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 103
Ok just to update, it seems that the BT module supports HCI, which is important.

But it seems this keyboard (older Apple Wireless Keyboard) doesn't support BIOS level booting?

Apple uses EFI and not BIOS. So this might be related.

Anyway, heres a screenshot of the BT module features and it seems to support all important ones.

I need to test the new space gray full keyboard from apple since they don't sell wired ones anymore at the stores. That might have "fixed" this issue.

It seems that the small BT dongle I have didn't work either (it uses same Broadcom chipset).

I honestly am ok with this since I'm in macOS 99% of the time and I can use the mouse to select the OS to boot into and if I need to go into the BIOS, I'll just connect a wired keyboard temporarily.

I just bought a refurbed wired one off Amazon. I retired my Logitech solar powered wireless keyboard because the LED lights in the office won't power it. I have grown to hate wireless keyboards and mice.

My experience is using the GUI through the internal graphics of a i3-8100 feels way snappier than with a GT 1030 and GTX 1060.
My experience is using the GUI through the internal graphics of a i3-8100 feels way snappier than with a GT 1030 and GTX 1060.

I had a lot of trouble trying to run 1x4K+3x1080p displays off of the HD530 so the Nvidia does the trick for me :)

I just bought a refurbed wired one off Amazon. I retired my Logitech solar powered wireless keyboard because the LED lights in the office won't power it. I have grown to hate wireless keyboards and mice.

Yeah I spilled a drink on my pristine wired keyboard so many keys don't work, so I need to get a new one.

Honestly, BT keyboard/mice is not worth the headache for me. I don't want to deal with charging and issues especially when dual booting. I'm not even going to waste time trying to make this work (ie putting back in the OSXWifi PCIe card)....I just don't have time and I'm ok with wired. If this was a real Mac, I would gladly use their wireless keyboard/mice combo (even though I hate Apple mice).

I'm happy enough with BT headphones since they are working perfect for me now.

I'm just going to get another wired one even if Apple discontinued it. I'm curious, though, about the new Space Gray one with full numpad (wireless) it might have many issues resolved from the older generation wireless ones.

Thus :
- For Thunderbolt you must perform SSDT for your TB3.
- For Lan try with IntelGBE kext or IntelMausiEthernet kext : lan issues should be fixed.

For thunderbolt, is it as simple as loading up the aml file include in the list of attachments in the guide or is there a specific way to do that. The guide is basing thunderbolt off of the ASUS add in card, whereas the Designare is built in. I'm not sure how to proceed from this point.

For thunderbolt, is it as simple as loading up the aml file include in the list of attachments in the guide or is there a specific way to do that. The guide is basing thunderbolt off of the ASUS add in card, whereas the Designare is built in. I'm not sure how to proceed from this point.

Just for TB3 try with SSDT-X299-DesignareTB3.aml
And for whole Gigabyte Designare Ex X299 with SSDT-X299-Designare-iMacPro.aml
But first verify according on IOReg all the paths.

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-Designare-iMacPro.aml.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 70
  • SSDT-X299-DesignareTB3.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Yeah I spilled a drink on my pristine wired keyboard so many keys don't work, so I need to get a new one.

Honestly, BT keyboard/mice is not worth the headache for me. I don't want to deal with charging and issues especially when dual booting. I'm not even going to waste time trying to make this work (ie putting back in the OSXWifi PCIe card)....I just don't have time and I'm ok with wired. If this was a real Mac, I would gladly use their wireless keyboard/mice combo (even though I hate Apple mice).

I'm happy enough with BT headphones since they are working perfect for me now.

I'm just going to get another wired one even if Apple discontinued it. I'm curious, though, about the new Space Gray one with full numpad (wireless) it might have many issues resolved from the older generation wireless ones.

There is a clone out there but I hate the big plus key on the numeric keypad. -- https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...MI7Zecq8vN2gIVBJ7ACh1OHg0fEAQYASABEgJrgvD_BwE

It appears that thunderbolt works right out of the box without the aml file, just have to turn the devices on before booting up the pc. Technology...so many quirks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back