CPU
i9-7980xe
Graphics
Vega
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
@maleorderbride, got a few questions as well: your linked post mentions that method outlined in that post also works for x99 Designare EX. Is it reasonable to assume that it would also work for X299 Designare EX? Or is X299 Designare EX equipped with a different model of a TB chip? Would that even matter? I tried to search for a list of TB chip's models installed on x99/x299 motherboards, but haven't found any definitive point of reference.
The Designare uses the same JSL6540 chipset as the ASRock TB3 card he's using.
Both DSM2 and I have tested his changes with a Designare X299, with no luck.

The biggest drawback with the designare (or any Gigabyte X299 motherboard with TB header for that matter), is that the thunderbolt must run from the PCH's PCIe lane.
This is a really dumb design if you ask me... That makes the PCH 4 PCI lanes shared for almost everything: thunderbolt, USB, NVMe, the lot....
The ASRock or Asus can use a CPU PCIe lane, and the Designare X99 also use CPU's PCIe lane.
So at present, I'm suspecting hotplug doesn't work on gigabyte boards, because of that difference

Edit: looks like @maleorderbride post got deleted, not wanting to get into the debate, but @kgp first SSDT thunderbolt, already contained the PCIHotplugCapable keyword that supposedly enable hot-plug many months ago...

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 Designare EX
CPU
i9-7920X
Graphics
Rx 480
Mac
Mac Pro
The Designare uses the same JSL6540 chipset as the ASRock TB3 card he's using.
Both DSM2 and I have tested his changes with a Designare X299, with no luck.

The biggest drawback with the designare (or any Gigabyte X299 motherboard with TB header for that matter), is that the thunderbolt must run from the PCH's PCIe lane.
This is a really dumb design if you ask me... That makes the PCH 4 PCI lanes shared for almost everything: thunderbolt, USB, NVMe, the lot....
The ASRock or Asus can use a CPU PCIe lane, and the Designare X99 also use CPU's PCIe lane.
So at present, I'm suspecting hotplug doesn't work on gigabyte boards, because of that difference

Edit: looks like @maleorderbride post got deleted, not wanting to get into the debate, but @kgp first SSDT thunderbolt, already contained the PCIHotplugCapable keyword that supposedly enable hot-plug many months ago...
Thanks for a quick reply, jyavenard. Appreciate it. Well, I suppose as long as I'll just get TB to work, I'll be happy. I only am planning on using one TB device (audio interface) for the time being, so not having a successfully implemented TB hot plugging won't hamper my overall experience too much.

I also have a GC-Alpine Ridge card. I was thinking of possibly getting ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe and doing a build with it. I believe KGP mentioned somewhere in this thread that another user got TB hot plugging working using GC-Alpine Ridge Card. That all does sound tempting, but I'm not sure that it's worth all the additional expenses and work that would need to go into it. Perhaps, down the road. For now, I'm quite satisfied with X299 Designare. Though, it would've been nice to get additional Mac functionality.

You did have a functioning TB (minus the hot plugging) when you ran X299 Designare without SSDT, correct?

Motherboard
ASRock X299 Professional Gaming XE
CPU
i9-7980xe
Graphics
Vega
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
You did have a functioning TB (minus the hot plugging) when you ran X299 Designare without SSDT, correct?
Yes, the only thing required with the Designare is doing the USB assignment, otherwise some ports don't work, or don't work well...

The main issue with the Designare is that the USB 3.1 gen 2 only comes from the TB ports, and not having hotplug on usb ports suck big time.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-7920X
Graphics
Rx 480
Mac
Mac Pro
Yes, the only thing required with the Designare is doing the USB assignment, otherwise some ports don't work, or don't work well...

The main issue with the Designare is that the USB 3.1 gen 2 only comes from the TB ports, and not having hotplug on usb ports suck big time.
I'm pretty sure I'm using DSM2's USB kext. So far every port that I have tried is working. I need to find time to test TB ports. Either way, thanks for the info. I greatly appreciate it. I might have more questions later on :)

Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i7-7820X
Graphics
Vega 56
Mobile Phone
iOS
Im encountering issues building 1.2.5.. is there a compiled version out there? can't find the latest Lilu.kext 1.2.3 Debug.

Update. Found them here.. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sierra-10-13-4-387-10-10-10-30.249039/page-17

Installed the latest Nvidia 387.10.10.10.30.103 driver with the coda update and things seem to work fine.
Debug version of Lilu.kext needs to be copied to build root folder in order to build Lilu plugins such as NvidiaGraphicsFixup.
So, first build a debug version of Lilu.kext with command
Code:
xcodebuild -configuration Debug
Copy what you just built from the build folder over to the NvidiaGraphicsFixup root and then build the NvidiaGraphicsFixup kext.

Motherboard
Asus X299 A 32Gb Ram
CPU
i9 -7920X
Graphics
ATI RX 580 Sapphire Pulse
Mac
iMac
Debug version of Lilu.kext needs to be copied to build root folder in order to build Lilu plugins such as NvidiaGraphicsFixup.
So, first build a debug version of Lilu.kext with command
Code:
xcodebuild -configuration Debug
Copy what you just built from the build folder over to the NvidiaGraphicsFixup root and then build the NvidiaGraphicsFixup kext.
Thanks!

Motherboard
Asus X299 A 32Gb Ram
CPU
i9 -7920X
Graphics
ATI RX 580 Sapphire Pulse
Mac
iMac
.106 seems to be more stable and smoother than 103.. I've just experienced some major lag in iTunes, especially with scrolling in the library, not to mention the system almost locked up while the audio seem to start and stop a couple of times.

Update : Also experienced Graphic glitches in iTunes with .106 so u reverted to the old Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup 1.2.3 with seems to have normalised my system and fixed the screen resolution issue from wake from sleep.

Will stick to this version till somebody else reports better stability with the new updates.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASRock X299 Professional Gaming XE
CPU
i9-7980xe
Graphics
Vega
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
I'm pretty sure I'm using DSM2's USB kext. So far every port that I have tried is working. I need to find time to test TB ports. Either way, thanks for the info. I greatly appreciate it. I might have more questions later on :)
I was referring to the USB C ports. Did you get them working with hotplug?

Motherboard
CPU
i9-7920X
Graphics
Rx 480
Mac
Mac Pro
I was referring to the USB C ports. Did you get them working with hotplug?
Haven't had a chance to test it yet. I've only used USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices. Not even sure if I have a USB C device for testing purposes.

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I haven't tried that yet, will do. Thought it was "obsolete."
It is, but there might have been something you missed from the original guide and this kext will help in the mean time.

Status
Not open for further replies.