Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, how is your feeling with the Gigabyte Designare EX?
I was wondering if the native TB3 port worked out of the box and if you feel a "better compatibility" to IMacPro ?
Aegerly waiting for your comments ;-))

both work out of the box, with the typical hackintosh limitation however that macOS doesn't see them as real thunderbolt port and it doesn't support hotplug.

works great otherwise, including windows.
My Apple Thunderbolt screen works fine with it, consistently.

With the Asus Thunderbolt EX 3, I always had to disconnect the TB cable first, otherwise it would give me an error about too much USB power draw and immediately shutdown.
The Asus TB card is also rather fiddly, from time to time after a boot it just wouldn't work...

I've had zero issue like the with the designare

@shael : This question can only answer @kgp since I switched to an different mainboard.

By the way guys I tested my full build power Compensation with an external tool.

200 Watts - Idle
519 Watts - Full Load in Cinebench
907 Watts - Luxmark Full Load CPU/GPU
@WilleC : Yes, I had an ASUS X299 Deluxe, which is a really good Motherboard and it works perfectly with MacOS but at the end of the day I wanted to try something different. I bought an Gigabyte X299 Designare EX which I personaly prefer more then the ASUS Motherboard but again it’s my personal taste of how things should work and I don’t regret it.

I still have the Deluxe Motherboard but I don’t use it at this moment.
Possibly I will do a second build or something like that or just leave it for testing purposes. I don’t wanna sell a 400€ Motherboard for under 300€ just because the people want everything as a gift.
Hi What are your impression about the Gigabyte Designare X299?
What do you like more, and where are the flaws?
Do you have better figures with TB3 ? Is it more stable?
I wanted to buy one, and I'll would really appreciate to hear about your impressions.
Regards

Hi after updating my Hackintosh to HighSierra 10.13.3 and installing the new released Nvidia Web Drivers i have lots of problems with my graphics. The UI is very slow and stucks sometimes. Also i can't play youtube videos and, for example do some word stuff. Everything is very slow and sticky.

My system is: asus x299 delux cpui9 7900X vga 2x nvidia 1080ti

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    34 MB · Views: 125
Please properly adopt the ACPI patches and SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml, before implementing on your system! If one of the SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml PCI device implementations fails, all SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml PCI device implementations will fail. Start with the SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml device implementation of HDEF, GPU and HDAU. It the latter work start adding PCI device implementations. From your screenshot it is obvious that some of your ACPI patches are wrong and that the SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml PCI device implementation totally fails, e.g. also your GPU lists in PCIe Slot 6 under 'PCI'!

You TBXE 3 seems to be functional.. that Thunderbolt driver do not show up under 'PCI' might not be related with some erroneous TBXE 3 SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml implementation. Any other SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml PCI device implementation could collapse the entire SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml implementation, i.e. also the else likely correct TBXE 3 SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml implementation...

Check the ACPI path for all ACPI replacements and the proper SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml PCI device implementations and adopt all details with the help of IOREG!

Happy bug fixing,

KGP

Thanks for the help so far.

I have removed SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml from /EFI/Clover/ACPI/PATCHED/ so I can correct any errors with the ACPI patches first.

I have attached my current config.plist file and output from IORegistryExplorer so you can see what my system looks like.

This is the progress I have made so far:

ACPI patches
d.) OSI -> XOSI, EC0_ -> EC__ and H_EC -> EC__
OSI -> XOSI I have disabled this patch as I can neither find OSI, _OSI or XOSI in IOReg.
EC0_ -> EC__ I couldn't find EC0_ but I could find EC0, so I swapped the HEX of EC0_ for the HEX of EC0.
H_EC -> EC__ I have disabled this patch as, a I couldn't find H_EC in IOReg, and b, The guide suggests that I should enable the patch(es) that matches my system. I only have EC0 so that's the patch I enabled.​
f.) The HEC1 -> IMEI and IDER->MEID
IDER->MEID I have re-enabled this I think I have found it IDER in IOReg. I am fairly sure I did find it once at /PCI0/IDER/.
I have found IDER at /_SB/PCI0/IDER/ in the IOACPIPlane view and at /PCI0/IDER/ in the IODeviceTree view.​
i.) The SMBS._ADR -> XSBU.XADR
SMBS._ADR I thought I couldn't find this in IOReg. I found SMBS, which is located at /PCI0/SMBS/.
I think I have found it (as per the attached screenshot), so I have re-enabled this patch. I found SMBS._ADR in the IOACPIPlane at /_SB/PCI0/SMBS/.​
m.) The DSM -> XDSM
Can't find DSM or _DSM in IOReg, but I have enabled this DSDT replacement patch as the guide says that it "is vital for loading the SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml".
I hope this helps you to help me.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 20.25.00.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 20.25.00.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 147
  • config.plist
    10.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Richard’s iMac Pro.ioreg
    5.7 MB · Views: 130
Trying to build a Hackintosh for OSX 10.13.3 based on the following parts and in need of help:

1. Asrock x299e-itx motherboard
2. Intel 7820X chip
3. Nvidia GTX 1050 graphics.

Have tried all sorts of options and files with no success. Has anyone got something like this to work?

Hi after updating my Hackintosh to HighSierra 10.13.3 and installing the new released Nvidia Web Drivers i have lots of problems with my graphics. The UI is very slow and stucks sometimes. Also i can't play youtube videos and, for example do some word stuff. Everything is very slow and sticky.

My system is: asus x299 delux cpui9 7900X vga 2x nvidia 1080ti

Which web driver are you using?

Hi, I have the same GPU as you and have to monitors. Two monitors work fine without any additional kext and dsdt modification. but can not display the right name under About This Mac.
I am also trying to inject the right framebuffer for VEGA64 and get the right Card name a under About This Mac.
Did you set some DSDT patches in clover config file? In my IORegistryExplorer, It shows a bit different from you.
PCI02.BR2A.SL05.pci-bridge

it shows SL05 instead of my GFX0, because in the config.plist I made a SL05->GFX0 replacement (just like described in the first post).
If you want the proper name to show, you can either upgrade to 10.13.4 beta 3 (but be aware that if using a SMBIOS of iMacPro,1 then only the first DP port and the first HDMI port work, the 2nd DP port no long work). One solution for this is to change the SMBIOS back to MacPro6,1...
I made a SSDT replacement that will show the name of the graphic card properly in About This Mac, I'm not sure there's any points. it makes zero difference in usage

@kgp : something interesting...

I was still attempting to have a box with both the vega and the nvidia card. So I put the Vega in slot 4.. Upon reboot I was shocked to see that the display is still under PC02.BR2A.SL05 ; it didn't change from when the card was in slot 1 !

Thanks for the help so far.
EC0_ -> EC__ I couldn't find EC0_ but I could find EC0, so I swapped the HEX of EC0_ for the HEX of EC0.
you will never find EC0_ or EC__ ; _ is never a character used, it just means blank (or space).

Like " SB " will be used as _SB_, or "EC0 " will be EC0_

Can't find DSM or _DSM in IOReg

DSM isn't a device, it's a method (Device Specific Method).
It won't show in IOReg (which shows devices)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found also a very annoying graphical bug, when using multiple screens:
-when using dark, on not active monitors the menubar turns white, so you can't see icons

does anyone experience that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 00.16.34.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 00.16.34.png
    14.1 MB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back