Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
everything works great on my system with the new configuration and patches, thank you very much @kgp and @interferenc .

Excellent to receive at least SOME positiv feedback for all the hard work we are doing!

And also good to know that everything works if properly implemented at the user side!

At least some balm for my else frequently punished soul.. ;):lol:

Appreciated :headbang:

Cheers, man :thumbup:

I had an RX560 that did managed to freeze my computer when playing video in a browser. Even with Whatevergreen. After searching around, it looked like that is pretty much the norm under High Sierra. So I returned it. I don't know if the situation has changed or not.
hi,brother,I flash the new kgp asus Prime x299 bios,there is a problem ,when I set bios CPU Core Ratio set to "By Core Usage",the hackintosh wake will be crashed,when I set CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores, it works good~!when I set by core usage,the problem will coming

May I just cite yourself? See post #4987:

"I just took you original EFI folder with 020218 date and only added the SMBIOS/Serial from the old config.plist.

The screen goes to black after loading and stays there (I'll do a test this weekend again to give exact freeze line from verbose mode). This is with an RX560."

Thus, you obviously did neither add Whatevergreen.kext nor Lilu.kext to the /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/ directory of my EFI-Folder distribution from 020218 and you wonder that you end up with a black screen at boot? More, you blame my modified config.plist not to work?

Unbelievable..

What is unbelievable?

I used WhateverGreen and Lilu in that situation as well (with the latest 020218 EFI partition)...you are not testing on Gigabyte, only Asus, so it's understandable the latest EFI folder from your side may not be completely compatible with Gigabyte. I need to do some more troubleshooting but I need to get to work on this machine and see if it a good daily driver.

Look I appreciate all your hard and amazing work along with other users like @interferenc as well. I am just curious to get a perfectly working system with the Designare EX which seems to be a very nice board so far. If @DSM2 posts the EFI folder I will report back as well.

The freeze/glitches are nothing new, it is a Hackintosh after all. They happen on every Hackintosh i've had so far. They even happen on my real Macs :)

I had an RX560 that did managed to freeze my computer when playing video in a browser. Even with Whatevergreen. After searching around, it looked like that is pretty much the norm under High Sierra. So I returned it. I don't know if the situation has changed or not.

Funnily enough this worked fine with an iGPU set to "Auto" on a Skylake machine (specs in signature).....maybe hardware acceleration for videos etc was handed off to the iGPU just like a real iMac. (using 18,3 SMBIOS).

Do you think an RX580 will help?

I have 2x980Ti's here as well, maybe I'll give the nVidia a shot again. I don't want to go back to the heavy lag until 10.13.4 comes out which might have some fixes for us both from Apple and nVidia.

Reactions: kgp
What is unbelievable?

I used WhateverGreen and Lilu in that situation as well (with the latest 020218 EFI partition)...you are not testing on Gigabyte, only Asus, so it's understandable the latest EFI folder from your side may not be completely compatible with Gigabyte. I need to do some more troubleshooting but I need to get to work on this machine and see if it a good daily driver.

Look I appreciate all your hard and amazing work along with other users like @interferenc as well. I am just curious to get a perfectly working system with the Designare EX which seems to be a very nice board so far. If @DSM2 posts the EFI folder I will report back as well.

The freeze/glitches are nothing new, it is a Hackintosh after all. They happen on every Hackintosh i've had so far. They even happen on my real Macs :)

Funnily enough this worked fine with an iGPU set to "Auto" on a Skylake machine (specs in signature).....maybe hardware acceleration for videos etc was handed off to the iGPU just like a real iMac. (using 18,3 SMBIOS).

Do you think an RX580 will help?

I have 2x980Ti's here as well, maybe I'll give the nVidia a shot again. I don't want to go back to the heavy lag until 10.13.4 comes out which might have some fixes for us both from Apple and nVidia.

What about testing the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Pulse?

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=77B48A1E-9FCB-4F19-BC2D-17C3087E4852&lang=eng

Seems to be natively implemented by OSX. Maybe worth to give it a try? If you are not content with the later GPU, just return it after some in-depth testing... ;)

You can purchase it for a reasonable price (roughly 450 €), when compared with the currently absurd costs for the nearly unavailable Radeon Vega RX 64 8GB of about 900 €...

Concerning your Designare EX, I think that you rather should try to fine-tune your BIOS settings instead of worrying too much about my latest EFI-Folder distribution ...

Last edited:
What about testing the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Pulse?

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=77B48A1E-9FCB-4F19-BC2D-17C3087E4852&lang=eng

Seems to be natively implemented by OSX. Maybe worth to give it a try? If you are not content with the later GPU, just return it after some in-depth testing... ;)

You can purchase it for a reasonable price (roughly 450 €), when compared with the currently absurd costs for the nearly unavailable Radeon Vega RX 64 8GB of about 900 €...

Concerning your Designare EX, I think that you rather should try to fine-tune your BIOS settings instead of worrying too much about my latest EFI-Folder distribution ...

It's very difficult to find RX580's they are sold out everywhere even here in the U.S. unless I pay way more than it's worth (It's a $250 card after all).

Buuuut the other thing is, the RX580 is on the iMac which uses a 7700k and has an iGPU. So, I'm not sure it will help. FCPX for example still uses the iGPU for QuickSync so the RX580+iGPU is a combo used in that situation.

The RX560 is used on the MacBook Pro (which also has an iGPU).

I think the perfect card would be Vega Frontier Edition or Vega 64 Liquid Cooled.

As far as the BIOS fine tune, it's pretty much what you have in your original post and I matched it exactly to the Gigabyte one.

It's very difficult to find RX580's they are sold out everywhere even here in the U.S. unless I pay way more than it's worth (It's a $250 card after all).

Buuuut the other thing is, the RX580 is on the iMac which uses a 7700k and has an iGPU. So, I'm not sure it will help. FCPX for example still uses the iGPU for QuickSync so the RX580+iGPU is a combo used in that situation.

The RX560 is used on the MacBook Pro (which also has an iGPU).

I think the perfect card would be Vega Frontier Edition or Vega 64 Liquid Cooled.

As far as the BIOS fine tune, it's pretty much what you have in your original post and I matched it exactly to the Gigabyte one.

I don't know about U.S., but here in Europe the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Pulse is everywhere in stock , and is easily available for a reasonable pricing.

Did you really try to google for it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ6FMF8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

You might find it even for a better pricing with some effort.. Thus, what you say is simply not true ;)

I don't know about U.S., but here in Europe the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Pulse is everywhere in stock , and is easily available for a reasonable pricing.

Did you really try to google for it?

Yes I can get it but it's between $450-$600 due to miners. I'd rather find a Vega 64 for $800 or a Frontier Edition for that price.

I highly doubt an RX580 is going to help. RX580 comes in the iMac which has iGPU.

Frontier Edition and Vega 64 are only cards that are close to what iMac Pro has.

Thus, what you say is simply not true

I have no idea why you keep attacking me. I'm being nice here...do you really think I don't know how to use google? C'mon.

When I say you can't find it in stock is for MSRP. Which is $249. And if it does appear anywhere like a retailer, it disappears within 1 minute of being in stock because miners are buying them up.

I'm hoping nVidia drivers are fixed soon and in 10.13.4 we will have less lag and I can put back in my 2x980Tis.

Last edited:
Yes I can get it but it's between $450-$500. I'd rather find a Vega 64 for $800 or a Frontier Edition for that price.

A Radeon Vega RX 64 8GB for 900 €?? Are you kidding? You really think that's a reasonable price for that card? It's former pricing was about 590 €, which was indeed as reasonable as the actual 450€ for the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Pulse .. ;)

If you have the money, go for the Radeon Vega Frontier 16GB, which you also get for about 900 €... This seems more reasonable ;)

Nobody, but really nobody serious would purchase a Radeon Vega RX 64 8GB for the same pricing of a Radeon Vega Frontier 16GB

In any case, your decision.. ;)

A Radeon Vega RX 64 8GB for 900 €?? Are you kidding? You really think that's a reasonable price for that card? :lol: It's former pricing was about 590 €, which was indeed reasonable as 450€ actually are also reasonable for the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Pulse .. ;)

If you have the money go for the Radeon Vega Frontier 16GB, which you also get for about 900 €... This seems more reasonable ;)

Nobody, but really nobody serious would purchase a Radeon Vega RX 64 8GB for the same pricing of a Radeon Vega Frontier 16GB :lol:

You're thinking Euros. I'm talking USD you weirdo :lol:

I was close to getting a Frontier Edition for $720 USD recently but I didn't. Why would I spend more money on GPUs when I have 2x980Ti's laying here not being used? And a RX560 that worked well with Skylake+iGPU?

You're thinking Euros. I'm talking USD you weirdo :lol:

I was close to getting a Frontier Edition for $720 USD recently but I didn't.

This would have been indeed a fair deal and good investment :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back