Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @kgp , changing the BIOS boot setting CMS to on solved the problem with the Display Port going black upon boot. I've been running for some time without noticing problems with performance. From pure curiosity, what disadvantages could CMS enabled cause to the system?

1 question
With the Nvidia Web Driver for High Sierra 10.13.2, I noticed how flawless and responsive the OS UI behaved (Finder + the various animations of windows). Now, with the Nvidia Web Drivers for 10.13.3 387.10.10.10.25.157 the OS UI has become much less responsive and tends not to update as effectively. It's not terrible, just not at all as good with the previous for High Sierra 10.13.2.
Is this solvable from my side or is this solely up to Nvidia for future updates?

I can't tell you how happy I am for the guide!

Best

1.) CMS provides Legacy compatibility. We want to have a clean UEFI setup. Unfortunately with some old GPUs, the latter seems not possible as their firmware does not fully support UEFI. That's why you have to enable Legacy compatibly in this case, an option I personally totally dislike.

2.) Up to my knowledge the issues with lagging are only witnessed with Maxwell GPUs. Pascal GPUs seems to work flawless with the new web driver. In any case, you find in my guide a detailed workaround how to use the old web driver x.106 with 17D2047, which will solve your issues.

@kgp
Thanks kgp for your work. I´m currently trying to install high sierra to my I9 10 core following your instruction. In one point I get stuck.
in D2. 2.) you describe to download some files from Apple. Problem is one link curl http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...116hdm02ajg89z3cubtiv64r39s/InstallInfo.plist -o InstallInfo.plist doesn’t download. How to get the InstallInfo.plist ?

Why do you say that the link does not work if it works? Just verified it..

@kgp
Thanks kgp for your work. I´m currently trying to install high sierra to my I9 10 core following your instruction. In one point I get stuck.
in D2. 2.) you describe to download some files from Apple. Problem is one link curl http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...116hdm02ajg89z3cubtiv64r39s/InstallInfo.plist -o InstallInfo.plist doesn’t download. How to get the InstallInfo.plist ?

Try the curls one by one. The very first time I tried putting all of them in the terminal at once like a bulk command for terminal and I was unsuccessful. Tried doing the curls one by one and my biceps were wonderful after that (success in all downloads)

Hope that can be of assistance as I too had an issue my very first time in prepping files and such

Reactions: kgp
Note that with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 the Nvidia Black Screen prevention has become obsolete. Thanks for the finding by @fabiosun from InsanelyMac.

Thus, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext can be removed from the /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/ directory of your macOS USB Flash Drive Installer and 10.13 System Disk!

Enjoy and have fun,

kgp.png

@Ramalama, how can we fix the erroneous display resolution during web driver load and at login screen, when using your EDID profile for the 38" LG?

I just ordered BCM94352Z from eBay (New). Will update here when I receive it and have time to test.

I really want to free up a slot too, it seems like a good idea in general. OSX Wifi module is pretty old at 300Mbps, but works well.

So @izo1 after some more diggin in tonymac and other forums and I've gotten some good info in regards to where I'm gonna go with onboard wifi.

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index....-of-supported-and-unsupported-wireless-cards/

Looks like AzureWave AW-CB160H, AzureWave AW-CE123H & Dell DW1550. All these are half-mini pcie cards that should fit well inside the GO! modules. The Dell and the CE123H requires a little extra help to get recongnized but the CB160H should be OOB... Problem with that is it will require new types of wires and I dont know how that will fare for me with a nice neat setup in that area. I actually believe i have an AzureWave AW-CE123H inside one of my older laptops or builds... if so, I will give it a crack and keep you posted on progress. I know you already purchased the m.2 ngff but just make sure you get a nice adapter for it...you may require some cutting but I guess we will find out once you receive your shipment.

Last edited:
Thanks @kgp From pure curiosity, what disadvantages could CMS enabled cause to the system?

Clover simulates a UEFI, so even when you boot in legacy mode, what the OS "sees" is a UEFI. Mostly the problems I had were booting in CSM thinking it was UEFI and getting strange errors, specially form Windows.

For example, if I installed Windows booting in CSM+Clover, but then booted using UEFI+Clover, sometimes I got a blue screen at boot with some strange error. Other times, I had to fix boot problems using bootrec, bcdboot and bcdedit. It was really difficult for me to keep track of which mode to boot to have a stable system. I still have several notes written about this: CSM/UEFI+Clover+MBR/GPT, what to do, what to avoid, etc.

This was true also with USB and DVD. Sometimes it was not clear if I was booting the USB using legacy or using UEFI.

Finally, my BIOS configuration had to be slightly different if I was booting with legacy+Clover, or UEFI+Clover. It influenced sleep.

So, in the end, it was a bit of a nightmare to keep track of all the configurations that were stable or unstable. Disabling CSM makes it much easier.

However. if I was very careful, I could keep track of this and have a predictable system. So if you need to have CSM enabled, in my experience it is possible to work with it, as long as you are very careful, avoid installing Clover is legacy mode, and make sure you boot always in UEFI mode from GPT disks.

For @kgp, I think it would be an enormous headache trying to help people here if he didn't advise to turn off CSM. The amount of strange errors beginners would have because of this would be high, like "I installed Clover + macOS and now I get a blue screen when I boot Windows."

Last edited:
Note that with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 the Nvidia Black Screen prevention has become obsolete. Thanks for the finding by @fabiosun from InsanelyMac.

Thus, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext can be removed from the /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/ directory of your macOS USB Flash Drive Installer and 10.13 System Disk!

Enjoy and have fun,

View attachment 309578

@Ramalama, how can we fix the erroneous display resolution during web driver load and at login screen, when using your EDID profile for the 38" LG?
Working on, i said, its not perfect...

Reactions: kgp
1.) Please provide your Skylake-X/X299 system specs (mobo, cpu, gpu) in either your profile or signature.

2.) You do neither use my EFI-Folder distribution nor you follow my guide. Sorry, no support from my side.

Good luck and enjoy,

KGP

Thanks yeah i had downgrade the clover bootloader because for my msi is more stabile (according to me).
Maybe not all my problems is link to clover, or not?

You are more expert than me, you could explain me where is the problem. Or what I can do for bypass the problems. Thanks you.

Thanks yeah i had downgrade the clover bootloader because for my msi is more stabile (according to me).
Maybe not all my problems is link to clover, or not?

You are more expert than me, you could explain me where is the problem. Or what I can do for bypass the problems. Thanks you.

Please use my EFI-Folder distribution and follow my guide.. Then I can also provide support.

Enjoy and have fun,

KGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back