Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been configuring Windows for a few days and I miss High Sierra and Logic, I hope we can solve the problem.

I also hope we can solve your problem. Please dump your bios setting and upload the txt.

Up to my knowledge I did not add any files except the recent apsf.efi and Test2-2016.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and I exchanged OsxAptioFixDrv2-64.efi by OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi.

Did you realise that you erroneously renamed "Test2-2016.efi" as "Test2-2016.UUUefi". May that cause your problems? Also you erroneously use "CsmVideoDxe-64.UUUefi" instead of "CsmVideoDxe-64.efi" and "VBoxHfs-64.UUUefi" instead of "VBoxHfs-64.efi". Where do these erroneous file name conventions come from?

I don't witness any performance decrease on my system after the upgrade to 10.13.2!
Well, actually I "blinded" copied in both cases your EFI, so unless the .UUUefi files are not your "internal test" renamed files, I really do not know how the hell could them beeing renamed.
The "curious" fact is that with the ".UUUefi files" the system shows faaar better performance, and the stability is the same.
I suppose (This is one question) that if the files have .UUUefi as file name convention they will not be "handled"-taken in account from macos ?
If so my system apparently runs smoother without this files...

Why do you use CsmVideoDxe-64.efi on your setup if its not needed for your hardware at all ???
Hi.... sorry for this late reply...
well actually as already written I'm one "Esel" ;-)) , I actually do not even know for what is "CsmVideoDxe-64.efi" intended for...
I simply "blind" applied the instructions of this post and where applicable just copied the EFI from kgp in my system.
By the way ... for what is "CsmVideoDxe-64.efi" intended for? When do you use it?

IMPORTANT INFO!!!

Finally I could replicate your problems in Logic Pro X on my own build.

But the most important information is that I also fixed it!

Infos coming later today... until then watch this...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LNU9000axbdraUZru-X-ZpcLtnciboeA

605 Channels... Yes... exactly 58% cpu load... Yes...

@PedroJSkywalker @warphead @olofd

Or should I release the fix next year, what do you think @kgp ?

Well I would say this depends if the 3 nasty guys behave well or not :thumbup:;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

Great job, man :headbang::headbang::headbang:

ohhh man ;) i pay in natural ok :p no thats great news and i idiot have now delet the high sierrea and can reinstall all plugins with activation torture :)

ok now im curious what it is lol

About schedule sleep and wake:

I'd like to report that, although PowerNap does not work, it seems that schedule sleep and wake works. I did two tests this evening, and in both cases the computer woke without a reboot. This is important for me, specially during the holiday season. I'm going to be away, but I want to be able to access the machine to launch some demanding jobs that the laptop can not handle ;-)

If your system sleeps and wake well, you might want to try the schedule (System Preferences / Energy Saver).

Thank you very much for your effort and throw light on this matter, I will try ....

I've been looking at the bios and ... I'm not sure exactly where to change the value and I do not dare to touch, it scares me.

But if I could check the value of the voltage running Cinebench in Windows with CPUID, the maximum goes up to 1067 which is exactly the value that is in Bios because when entering Bios is 3800 Mhz and next it puts 1.067.

If you can, indicate where I should change the voltage and what value you recommend to start to test although by your explanation I suppose the value should be 1.057 and if it goes well then keep falling to 1.047, decreasing 0.10 each time.

CPU Core Voltage Correction for Logic Pro and ASUS X299 mainboard Users

This notification is especially for @warphead , @olofd and @PedroJSkywalker but also for all other users with similar problems.

As someone already mentioned, the ASUS Skylake-X BIOS microcode implementation is still somewhat buggy. With "/AI Tweaker/CPU Core Voltage/" set to "Auto", the CPU Core Voltages assigned to your Skylake-X CPU might be simply too high.

CPU-Core-Voltage-Auto.png

In consequence and with certain programs like Logic Pro, CPU Core voltages can simply drop to minimum values and active cores can reduce to 1, very likely for the sake of system stability and security.

It is therefore strongly recommended to fix the CPU Core Voltage in the ASUS mainboard BIOS to a minimum value that still provides full system performance under CPU max. load conditions and still allows your system to boot without issues. With CPU max. load conditions I refer to the max. turbo frequency (e.g. 4.4 Ghz for the i9-7980XE) applied to ALL cores!

The optimal CPU Core Voltage setting can be retrieved within the following iterative approach:

Note that the iterative approach detailed below assumes the BIOS settings described in Section B1) - point 1) to 10), however by considering the following else optional settings:

i.) "ASUS MultiCore Enhancement" set to "Auto"
ii.) "CPU Core Ratio" set to "Sync All Cores"
iii.) "AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset" set to "3"
iv.) "AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset" set to "4"​

1.) Boot into Windows and launch ASUS CPU-Z as well as Cinebench.

2.) Run Cinebench CPU benchmarks and watch the Core VID values in CPU-Z under max.load conditions. These values will
usually exceed 1.2V with "/AI Tweaker/CPU Core Voltage/" set to "Auto"​

IMG_9370.png

3.) To optimise the "/AI Tweaker/CPU Core Voltage/" perform the following steps:

a.) Enter the BIOS, go to "/AI Tweaker/CPU Core Voltage/" and change from "Auto" to "Manual"

b.) Enter a slightly lower CPU Core Voltage Overrride (e.g. typically 0.01 V less) than originally observed with CPU-Z
under Cinebench CPU benchmark max.load conditions in Windows, e.g. 1.190 V in the first iteration.

CPU-Core-Voltage-Overrride.png

c.) Reboot into windows and check if the Cinebench CPU benchmark scores are still in the expected range by also controlling
the respective Core VID values during the Cinebench CPU benchmark max. load conditions.
d.) Repeat b.) and c.) until either your Cinebench CPU benchmarks scores start to significantly decrease or you
start facing problems in booting your system. Given my personal experience with the i9-7980XE, a CPU Core Voltage Override of 1.120 V might be optimal in any case if one does not perform any OverClocking! In case of OC, the optimal CPU Core Voltage can certainly also exceed 1.2 V, e.g. 1.32 V with a i9-7900X @ 5 Ghz OC (perfect and delidded sample), however a sophisticated water block circuit is absolutely mandatory in this case! Therefore, always watch also your CPU temps in addition when performing this iterative CPU Core Voltage Override Value Optimisation, which should not exceed 90 deg C under CPU max. load conditions!
Warning!
Before performing the CPU Core Voltage Override Value Optimisation Approach, save your actual BIOS settings to a USB Drive. If during the iterative approach you are not able to successfully boot your system, perform a CMOS reset and restore your BIOS settings from the USB Drive, by subsequently entering the last successful CPU Core Voltage Override value!
Never but never enter CPU Core Voltage Overrride values larger than 1.xx V! Too high voltages (e.g. 2-10 V) can severely damage your CPU! Thus, never forget about the comma after the 1!!! Note if you perform this iterative CPU Core Voltage Override Value Optimisation Procedure, you perform it at your own risk!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back