Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello KGP,
You did not understand me.
I just wanted to have the configuration of the Clover folder, to allow me to do the same config as without difficulty.
Is wrong to ask for this type of information?

Up to my knowledge, it is simply not allowed to address and discuss here a topic which is definitely not Intel CPU related and therefore at odd with the respective forum rules. It was meant as a kind reminder in your favour.

My actual EFI-Folder for Skylake-X/X299 is attached to the originating post of this thread (guide)! This is more than twenty times stated within my guide and moreover repeated at more than hundred positions along this thread. ;)

Does this complete your request?

Oui merci/Yes Thank you

Reactions: kgp
The problem is incredible for not calling it another way and an endless odyssey, for the first time in my life I can not install Windows to try another DAW other than Logic to get rid of doubts about the performance of the CPU.

I have called Microsoft which sent me to Asus "They washed their hands", Asus tells me to select in Bios Secure boot disabled and launch csm enabled, the other values by default.

It turns out that my wife has a MacBook Pro and in this I have officially downloaded Windows and with the native utility of Apple Bootcamp I have passed the iso to the pendrive, they tell me in Asus that this is the problem, that I must do it in Windows, I go to a booth ,
on a Windows computer I have armed myself with patience and downloaded Windows 10 Pro 64bits, I downloaded the Rufus application to create the bootable USB, since it is the most famous and in the forums I read that it works perfectly, I used two pendrives ,
one to record the iso in GPT UEFI and the other with the other option of Rufus valid for Windows MBR BIOS UEFI and when I get home the problem continues, now that I think about it I have not yet mentioned exactly what is the problem.

When I started the installation of Windows I came to the window to select which disk I want to install it, previously I opened the console and with clean diskpart the disk in which I want to do the installation that incidentally is a Samsung evo 256 GB SSD, then the window in which
starts the installation of Windows but does not even pass 0%, after a few seconds the message "The Windows installation detected an unexpected error." Check if you have access to the installation's origins and then reinstall the installation. 0xC0000005 ".

It seems to indicate that it can not read from the pendrive and so I confirmed it in Asus, in fact one of the pendrives has a led that allows you to see the activity of said pendrive and when starting the first windows to install windows now, license agreement etc ... I see how it is reading to load
the files you need but when you should start the installation that is obviously 0% the LED does not flash.

I have tried all the usb ports of the motherboard, the image is both USB 2.0 and 3.0 pendrive,
I have tried to remove 7 of the 8 Ram modules and leave only one of 16Gb
The only thing that is pinned on the motherboard is the graphics that by the way is a Geforce GTX 970 4gb, I mention it but obviously the poor person is not guilty of anything.
I changed some parameters in the Bios in the boot section without any results.
I have disabled with the physical switch of the motherboard the XMP, that I have done when I have left a single module which has worked at 2133 without changing anything.
This box that I bought does not have dvd recorder bays etc ... so I removed the glass side to access the wiring and I could connect a dvd recorder, I recorded again the image in the booth but this time on DVD, I have I tried to install in the old way and in fact I thought that from there I would read without problems but not ... same result with the error window that I mentioned before.
I have tried many other things that I can not remember and I have run out of energy and above all without ideas, last night I already fell asleep.

I have been buying Asus motherboards for many years because for my Asus it is Roll Royce in motherboards but the disappointment that I have with this board ...

If it were not because I installed High Sierra from a pendrive I would say that the board is defective but I do not understand why it does not want Windows that must enter like butter.

Yesterday I returned to the booth with Windows and use the official Media Tool application which downloads the image from the Microsoft servers and passes it to the pendrive and to test the same result with the error screen mentioned above.

I hope that some of you can know what the problem is, in fact KGP will know what this is due to.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this mystery.

What despair ...

Attachments

• DSC_0303.JPG
    10.4 MB · Views: 99
The problem is incredible for not calling it another way and an endless odyssey, for the first time in my life I can not install Windows to try another DAW other than Logic to get rid of doubts about the performance of the CPU.

I have called Microsoft which sent me to Asus "They washed their hands", Asus tells me to select in Bios Secure boot disabled and launch csm enabled, the other values by default.

It turns out that my wife has a MacBook Pro and in this I have officially downloaded Windows and with the native utility of Apple Bootcamp I have passed the iso to the pendrive, they tell me in Asus that this is the problem, that I must do it in Windows, I go to a booth ,
on a Windows computer I have armed myself with patience and downloaded Windows 10 Pro 64bits, I downloaded the Rufus application to create the bootable USB, since it is the most famous and in the forums I read that it works perfectly, I used two pendrives ,
one to record the iso in GPT UEFI and the other with the other option of Rufus valid for Windows MBR BIOS UEFI and when I get home the problem continues, now that I think about it I have not yet mentioned exactly what is the problem.

When I started the installation of Windows I came to the window to select which disk I want to install it, previously I opened the console and with clean diskpart the disk in which I want to do the installation that incidentally is a Samsung evo 256 GB SSD, then the window in which
starts the installation of Windows but does not even pass 0%, after a few seconds the message "The Windows installation detected an unexpected error." Check if you have access to the installation's origins and then reinstall the installation. 0xC0000005 ".

It seems to indicate that it can not read from the pendrive and so I confirmed it in Asus, in fact one of the pendrives has a led that allows you to see the activity of said pendrive and when starting the first windows to install windows now, license agreement etc ... I see how it is reading to load
the files you need but when you should start the installation that is obviously 0% the LED does not flash.

I have tried all the usb ports of the motherboard, the image is both USB 2.0 and 3.0 pendrive,
The only thing that is pinned on the motherboard is the graphics that by the way is a Geforce GTX 970 4gb, I mention it but obviously the poor person is not guilty of anything.
I have disabled with the physical switch of the motherboard the XMP, that I have done when I have left a single module which has worked at 2133 without changing anything.
This box that I bought does not have dvd recorder bays etc ... so I removed the glass side to access the wiring and I could connect a dvd recorder, I recorded again the image in the booth but this time on DVD, I have I tried to install in the old way and in fact I thought that from there I would read without problems but not ... same result with the error window that I mentioned before.
I have tried many other things that I can not remember and I have run out of energy and above all without ideas, last night I already fell asleep.

I have been buying Asus motherboards for many years because for my Asus it is Roll Royce in motherboards but the disappointment that I have with this board ...

If it were not because I installed High Sierra from a pendrive I would say that the board is defective but I do not understand why it does not want Windows that must enter like butter.

Yesterday I returned to the booth with Windows and use the official Media Tool application which downloads the image from the Microsoft servers and passes it to the pendrive and to test the same result with the error screen mentioned above.

I hope that some of you can know what the problem is, in fact KGP will know what this is due to.

What despair ...

My dear friend,

what can or should I say.... :rolleyes:

First you create and distribute fake rumours and panic that my build and guide is misleading because of your supposed Logic problems, etc. ... issues, which however are definitely not reproducible by others.

Now you seem not even able to create a Windows USB Flash Drive Installer and to perform a simple UEFI Windows installation, which is clearly described or linked in it's outermost detail in Section E.5) of my guide (see point 1 to 6)!

Finally you start blaming on Microsoft and ASUS for your apparent personal inabilities to set things right and to read, follow and apply basic instructions.

I really don't think that this a smart, clever, adequate or acceptable behaviour.

Therefore, I kindly ask you to behave adequately as expected and according to your personal skills.

Nobody blames you for your apparent personal inabilities.. Nobody is perfect or born as a genius... we all learn by doing...

However, please stop blaming others, which are definitely not responsible for all your personal issues. And moreover, please do not repeatedly distribute fake news or absurd conclusions, which are simply wrong and more than misleading.

I guess, everybody following this thread would appreciate your discretion.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards,

KGP :thumbup:

Last edited:

What despair ...

Windows installation can be very picky about SATA-ports and other connected perefreials during installation.
Have you tried reseting your BIOS, and disconnected everything except the USB-stick and the installation-hdd/ssd?

benchmark_imacpro.jpg

So, the first benchmark results are online from the new iMac Pro. This is from a 10-core 3Ghz Intel Xeon W machine with 128GB ram (2666 MHz), 2TB SSD and a Radeon Vega 64, 16GB.

My rig is a i9-7900x with 10 cores and 64GB Ram (3200 MHz). My Geekbench scores are around 5700 single core and 43000 multicore (and I know some of you with beefier 7900x versions are even higher in the multicore section).

This is such great news! I love the design of the iMac Pro - but the flexibility of our rigs and the fact that we are outscoring the iMac Pro is highly satisfiable. And yes, I am aware of that we do not have ECC, but I don't need it in real life. Also, we only paid a fraction of the price.

Enjoy your rig! This is a great time to be part of this mackintosh community...

Hi @flymovies !
I asked you earlier about your EFI-folder and .aml-files for the 7900x. Do you mind sharing them?

Thank, Olof

Windows installation can be very picky about SATA-ports and other connected perefreials during installation.
Have you tried reseting your BIOS, and disconnected everything except the USB-stick and the installation-hdd/ssd?

I don't think that any of that what you mention above might be really the source of his problems. The crucial point is to properly format the drive for the Windows installation, to properly configure the UEFI Windows USB Drive Installer and to properly perform the Windows UEFI Installation.

All respective and necessary guidelines are part of my guide.

Everybody is willing to help somebody who faces issues even in reading, following and applying the most basic and most detailed things and instructions. However, the basic requirement for any help is in my opinion an adequate behaviour and tone in line with available personal skills or technical background.

That's all I am asking for.

Cheers,

KGP

I don't think that any of that what you mention above might be really the source of his problems. The crucial point is to properly format the drive for the Windows installation, to properly configure the UEFI Windows USB Drive Installer and to properly perform the Windows UEFI Installation.

All respective and necessary guidelines are part of my guide.

Everybody is willing to help somebody who faces issues even in reading, following and applying the most basic and most detailed things and instructions. However, the basic requirement for any help is in my opinion an adequate behaviour and tone in line with available personal skills or technical background.

That's all I am asking for.

Cheers,

KGP

Yes. And I'm just saying that I had issues with the installation with a correctly formatted UEFI Windows USB Drive, and it turned out to be resolved when doing what I described.

He mentioned that he had used both Rufus and their official Media Creation tool... those should format the USB correctly.. so I believed him that formatting is not the source of his problem.

Even if it's MBR, it should install as MBR (Which is not good, but should work)

Yes. And I'm just saying that I had issues with the installation with a correctly formatted UEFI Windows USB Drive, and it turned out to be resolved when doing what I described.

If one follows my BIOS settings instructions, of course always presumed that we speak about the same mainboard, he/she will not witness any issues during the UEFI Windows Installation, which is also clearly described or linked in it's outermost detail within my guide.

In any case your feedback and contributions are more than appreciated at my side!

Everything in his case should in fact theoretically work without issues... but apparently in practise it doesn't, which is still fine with me but no reason to permanently blame others... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Error code 00 could mean one of 3 things. Faulty MB, faulty CPU or faulty PSU. Faulty memory had different code, as faulty GPU.
So my bet is on your PSU. As you say, that you can boot after turning it off and on again. If it is possible, try your build with different PSU.

Interesting idea, I think you might be right.. I use evga super nova 850g2, 850W on that build.. What you have in mind for another PS? The 7900x I have 1000W Corsair, and run perfect,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back