CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
@kgp Jack, Label5 or Ballantines? or something else? :)
I never saw you so relaxed :p :D

@ImaPirate, Please use EDIT button SOMETIMES!!! :thumbup:
Nope... no alcohol in the game... ;):lol:

I really appreciate and deeply support the actual personal efforts of @ImaPirate, that's all :thumbup:

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi, I'm very new to both this forum as well as Hackintosh. I still need to buy hardware but I've been following this thread very closely the last months. Thanks for the detailed guide already kgp.

I got a couple of questions:

- I saw in the news Apple will release it's MacPro very soon, will that mean this guide will be easier (since some stuff will be supported natively)?
- I'll mirror the configuration of kgp as closely as possible, however I don't need a huge video card, for me it's important to be able to hook some screens (4K as well) to the videocard and some decent game performance is nice, but it doesn't need to be state of the art. It's more important for me to have good Hackintosh support in that regard. Would the Asus Radeon RX580 be a good choice? https://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90693536/asus-radeon-rx-580-dual-rx580-o4g.asp

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Up to my knowledge the iMac Pro is available from today.

If this means that this guide will be much easier in the very near future I don't know. I indeed hope that more things will be natively implemented, yes..

To me the RX580 looks just fine for your needs. You might also think on purchasing a Vega 64.. I don't know about the actual difference in costs but it might be still significant.

Cheers,

KGP

Motherboard
Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Up to my knowledge the iMac Pro is available from today. (...)
I think he was referencing the release of the MacPro in 2018, without "i" (Ich=I, Ei=egg, Eck=corner...).
For me also this is still part of my decision making about which platform to build the next hackintosh on. I follow your tremendous thread and guide since a couple of weeks now - very interesting to see things evolve.
For me this is still too experimental but I have time to watch this growing up.

Keep on your good work - and your fellows, too. Great job!

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I think he was referencing the release of the MacPro in 2018, without "i" (Ich=I, Ei=egg, Eck=corner...).
For me also this is still part of my decision making about which platform to build the next hackintosh on. I follow your tremendous thread and guide since a couple of weeks now - very interesting to see things evolve.
For me this is still too experimental but I have time to watch this growing up.

Keep on your good work - and your fellows, too. Great job!
Allright.. I see, my bad... I added an "i" (Ich=I, Ei=egg, Eck=corner...) where there was none ;):lol:

Thanks for the correction :thumbup:

Motherboard
Asus Tuf X299 Mark 1
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mobile Phone
iOS
Question KGP, just came out the new iMac pro, mounts processors intel xeon W Family Skylike-SP with socket 2066, very similar to the skylake-X that we have, would there be possibility of change in the smbios for our platform? is this platform native now?

when we know how to change the smbios everything will be more easy... truth?

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Question KGP, just came out the new iMac pro, mounts processors intel xeon W Family Skylike-SP with socket 2066, very similar to the skylake-X that we have, would there be possibility of change in the smbios for our platform? is this platform native now?

when we know how to change the smbios everything will be more easy... truth?
Did you see the date of delivery? 2nd January 2018! No native Skylake-X or XEON implementation yet under 10.13.2!

Let's see the further 10.13.3 beta development.

Cheers,

KGP

Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi, guys.

I have been watching this thread from time to time since this Step. Now in order to do Clang syntax tagging of a large code base, it is time for me to build a Hackintosh according to this very detailed guide.

Since the computation is mostly CPU-bound, an advanced GPU is a waste for my current requirement. A GPU-board that supports two 4k Display with 60fps is enough.

Any recommendations based on backbone setup: Mainboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe + CPU: i9-7980XE

Since I'd never build a Hackintosh before, my top concern if a GPU board is the compatability of the above mentioned backone and ease of driver installation/configuration.

Thanks

SharedSky

ImaPirate

Banned
ImaPirate,

I am deeply impressed by your efforts to understand and handle your system configuration by yourself. This is indeed an important and deeply appreciated endeavour! Please count on my full support! It is my personal pleasure! Don't hesitate to ask me whatever necessary, even if some of your questions might appear stupid to others. Simply don't care!

You are on the right way and others should follow your tremendous courage and admirable example :thumbup:

I know how hard it is to follow my extensive guidelines for the first time.

Respect, man :headbang:
Thanks for the Big-Ups! It's hard for me as I have (like you) a very busy schedule (wife, kids, owner of an online tactical business, designing and marketing knives and flashlights, etc.), so that is why it was easier to have someone do it for me and contributing funds to whoever would help. That's why when I mentioned all those files (that I didn't know that I had), is because someone else helped me install this setup (that you provided) so I could have 10.13.1 work.

Now that I'm updating to 10.13.2, this is where I'm having to do it myself (but not by myself, because of men like you). But I think you know this already. When I have time tonight, I will check my original EFI folder and your EFI folder and make sure I apply the correct files (when I look at your past replies from last night), so I can get things up and running properly.

The great thing is, I have 10.13.2 installed and most everything is working, so at least I did understand most of what you were instructing. Thanks again. :thumbup:

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for the Big-Ups! It's hard for me as I have (like you) a very busy schedule (wife, kids, owner of an online tactical business, designing and marketing knives and flashlights, etc.), so that is why it was easier to have someone do it for me and contributing funds to whoever would help. That's why when I mentioned all those files (that I didn't know that I had), is because someone else helped me install this setup (that you provided) so I could have 10.13.1 work.

Now that I'm updating to 10.13.2, this is where I'm having to do it myself (but not by myself, because of men like you). But I think you know this already. When I have time tonight, I will check my original EFI folder and your EFI folder and make sure I apply the correct files (when I look at your past replies from last night), so I can get things up and running properly.

The great thing is, I have 10.13.2 installed and most everything is working, so at least I did understand most of what you were instructing. Thanks again. :thumbup:
Gorgeous :thumbup:

ImaPirate

Banned
Hi, guys.

I have been watching this thread from time to time since this Step. Now in order to do Clang syntax tagging of a large code base, it is time for me to build a Hackintosh according to this very detailed guide. Since the computation is mostly CPU-bound, an advanced GPU is a waste for my current requirement.

Here is my expected backbone setup: Mainboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe + CPU: i9-7980XE

A GPU-board that supports two 4k Display with 60fps is enough. Any recommendations?

Thanks

SharedSky
If you want to make things easy where Mac OS X runs native to your GPU, getting the AMD Vega Frontier 16GB GPU would be your best bet. It works with 2 x 28" 4K monitors easily.

Now for me I had to purchase 2 x Vega cards because I run 3 x 28" 4K monitors and that 2nd card is hooked up to the third monitor. But that's how I have my system set up. Again, you'll be just fine with one AMD Vega Frontier 16GB GPU for 2 x 4K monitors. Hope this helps. Later...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.