Contribute
Register

How Long for Unibeast to prepare the USB stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte B760 Gaming X AX
CPU
i5-14600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sadly I don't get even as far as an install on my HD because Unibeast is taking soooo long to prepare the USB stick.

I've tried three times and got as far as an hour in and then given up. I can't believe Unibeast needs this long to prepare the media. The banner message estimates it at over 5-hours but I tried to ignore this...

Being sensible I regularly checked "Get Info" only to discover an incredibly slow file transfer rate - 1GB in at about 30-mins in is the best.

My Lion hackintosh is running fine and reliably.

Just can't understand the problem...

Perhaps I'll have to wait a few more days/weeks until the issues are ironed out.

Anyone else experienced this problem and found a way around it?

Thanks.

I'm also having the same problem
I've let it run for a while and the estimated time just keeps getting larger.

Unibeast has always done this. The time left changes from 3mins to 2hrs. to 7hrs. etc... Just wait for it, it's not unusual for it to take 45 mins +

It really depends on how good your USB drive is. I tried running Unibeast for Lion last year on a really crappy USB drive that I bought from China, and it took more than an hour. It didn't even work in the end... I ended up running it on a decent Kingston USB drive, and it only took 30 minutes.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I've tried the patience angle but no joy I'm sad to report. I think there must be a hardware conflict somewhere in my individual build as everything grinds to a halt and very little copying is taking place (easy to check progress).

In fact I hand-built a USB to do a bespoke install while I was waiting for the Unibeast to complete (which it never did).

For info the hand-built consisted of preparing a new bootable USB 8GB stick, copying the Base System over using DiskUtil; copying the Packages folder over the short-cut of the same name; copying the mach_kernel etc; installing Multibeast 461 onto it and booting from the stick. I gave up on Unibeast and used the hand-built to do the install, which proceded as it should after I'd chosen the longer upgrade option rather than a fresh install etc.

Sadly despite owning real Macs the maxim that "It Just Works" doesn't apply to Hackintoshes or CustoMacs due to so many hardware variable - which I fully understand, is no one's fault.

:)

Thanks for your replies guys.

I've tried the patience angle but no joy I'm sad to report. I think there must be a hardware conflict somewhere in my individual build as everything grinds to a halt and very little copying is taking place (easy to check progress).

In fact I hand-built a USB to do a bespoke install while I was waiting for the Unibeast to complete (which it never did).

For info the hand-built consisted of preparing a new bootable USB 8GB stick, copying the Base System over using DiskUtil; copying the Packages folder over the short-cut of the same name; copying the mach_kernel etc; installing Multibeast 461 onto it and booting from the stick. I gave up on Unibeast and used the hand-built to do the install, which proceded as it should after I'd chosen the longer upgrade option rather than a fresh install etc.

Sadly despite owning real Macs the maxim that "It Just Works" doesn't apply to Hackintoshes or CustoMacs due to so many hardware variable - which I fully understand, is no one's fault.

:)

I have a mid-2007 iMac that I used to create a fully functioning unibeast usb key on a sandisk usb stick. I left it overnight. The next morning, I literally forgot about it. And a few hours later while watching Dexter, the notification popped up telling me that unibeast was done creating the key. and it WORKED! LOL be patient dude. leave it for a few days if you have to. It shouldn't take more than 12 to 18 hours but it is possible! Good luck I hope you find this helpful!

next time around I used my sisters much newer retina macbook pro :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back