Contribute
Register

How do I get USB 3.0 working on the back USB ports of my GA-Z97M-D3H build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97M-D3H
CPU
Core i5-4690K
Graphics
Intel 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. SE
  5. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
USB 3.0 works on my front USB ports on my case only. Can't get the back side to work for connecting USB Hard Drives.

I can connect USB flash drives and they work fine on the back ports, but powered USB hard drives do not work at all on the back. They won't mount, or run in USB 2.0 speed or anything. Cameras, USB flash drives, a Logitech Web Cam all work in the rear ports. None of my 5 USB external Hard Drives will connect at all on the back USB ports, just the front ports.

If I pull the cable to the front of my box and plug it in, it mounts and runs fine at USB 3.0 speeds.

What gives?

Specifics:
Gigabyte, GA-Z97M-D3H
Intel Core i5-4690K
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) UDIMM
El Capitan 10.11.3
Clover Bootloader
3x Internal HDD
2x Internal SSD

Last edited:
USB 3.0 works on my front USB ports on my case only. Can't get the back side to work for connecting USB Hard Drives.

I can connect USB flash drives and they work fine on the back ports, but powered USB hard drives do not work at all on the back. They won't mount, or run in USB 2.0 speed or anything. Cameras, USB flash drives, a Logitech Web Cam all work in the rear ports. None of my 5 USB external Hard Drives will connect at all on the back USB ports, just the front ports.

If I pull the cable to the front of my box and plug it in, it mounts and runs fine at USB 3.0 speeds.

What gives?

Specifics:
Gigabyte, GA-Z97M-D3H
Intel Core i5-4690K
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) UDIMM
El Capitan 10.11.3
Clover Bootloader
3x Internal HDD
2x Internal SSD

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html

Thanks RehabMan, I read through the entire guide and took it all one step at a time. Ultimately I found the following part from the guide to work for my setup.
Specific Recommendations (7-series, 8-series, 9-series, X99)
Do the EHCx->EH0x rename. It is a no-brainer first step.

The Rename didn't work for me, after several attempts I just wound up with a non-working system

For 7-series, 8-series, and 9-series, install FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext (FakePCIID_XHCIMux has no effect without FakePCIID.kext, and is valid only for the Intel chipsets mentioned).
Installing the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and FakePCIID.kext is what it took for my external drives to show up on the Rear USB 3.0 ports.

Here's what I did if anyone else wants to try it.

1. Download the needed kexts from this link provided by RehabMan: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads
  2. Download the KextBeast app from the Downloads section of this site. http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=309
  3. Put the FakePCIID.kext and the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext in your Desktop folder.
  4. Launch KextBeast.app and install to /Library/Extenstions and /System/Library/Extensions.
  5. Reboot and it worked for me.

Now get back to work and do something constructive for a change.

Last edited:
The Rename didn't work for me, after several attempts I just wound up with a non-working system

Make sure you do the rename with config.plist. Less chance for pilot error.

FakePCIID.kext is what it took for my external drives to show up on the Rear USB 3.0 ports.

If all you needed was FakePCIID_XHCIMux, it means:
- there was no built-in EHCx port injector for the SMBIOS you're using or the one that is there matches your EHCx topology
- your DSDT responds correctly when USB2 on XHCI is routed to ECHI (such that you don't have a port limit problem)

It happens...

I have something similar.

I was trying to update to high sierra but I ended up messing up all my sierra installation which was working fine by the way.

So I installed a backup I had from my time machine (external or internal hard drive for time machine is mandatory when having a hackintosh since you may end up reinstalling again and again). The thing here is that USB 2.0 ports are working fine, my front USB 3.0 port works fine, but, all the rear USB 3.0 ports don't. They used to be working fine but now don't.

I have tried to fix it with multibeast for sierra using the option "increase max port limit". If I understand correctly this should do the trick and activate (or give access or whatever) to my rear ports. I'm sorry I'm a newbie, I have lots of experience in MS platforms but MAC is a whole new animal to me.

Any ideas? Here is a copy of my config.plist file

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.4 KB · Views: 303
Thanks RehabMan, I read through the entire guide and took it all one step at a time. Ultimately I found the following part from the guide to work for my setup.
Specific Recommendations (7-series, 8-series, 9-series, X99)
Do the EHCx->EH0x rename. It is a no-brainer first step.

For 7-series, 8-series, and 9-series, install FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext (FakePCIID_XHCIMux has no effect without FakePCIID.kext, and is valid only for the Intel chipsets mentioned).
Installing the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and FakePCIID.kext is what it took for my external drives to show up on the Rear USB 3.0 ports.

Here's what I did if anyone else wants to try it.

1. Download the needed kexts from this link provided by RehabMan: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads
  2. Download the KextBeast app from the Downloads section of this site. http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=309
  3. Put the FakePCIID.kext and the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext in your Desktop folder.
  4. Launch KextBeast.app and install to /Library/Extenstions and /System/Library/Extensions.
  5. Reboot and it worked for me.

Now get back to work and do something constructive for a change.

Thanks Benhurt, I did what you said and now my rear USB 3.0 ports are working again @5.0 Gbps, I will start time machine ASAP again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back