Contribute
Register

Hopefully near universal USB 3.0 driver for 3rd part controllers in 10.8.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far this driver works with Asmedia ASM1042, Etron EJ168 & NEC/Renesas D720202 chips.

I installed this driver, and when I connect a USB 3.0 drive to it, System Information tells me it supports a speed up to 480Mb/sec (same as USB 2.0). Any idea why it seems to think my drive is only USB 2.0? This is on a GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard, which if I'm not mistaken has an ASM1042 for USB 3.0. The drive is a 32GB SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure.

I don't currently have any other USB 3.0 devices to test with, though I'm getting a USB 3.0 thumb drive in a couple days.

Etron EJ168, not ASMedia ASM1042. I haven't had any of the issues you're experiencing, but I don't have that exact motherboard, so hard to say really. I've tested it on a Z68XP-D3 and it works fine.

I do notice something else strange, however. When I connect the USB 3.0 drive to my USB 3.0 ports with this driver installed, my mouse stops responding well - it gets all jerky and I have a hard time moving the cursor across the screen. It makes my system near unusable. I haven't ever had this problem before with drives, etc. plugged into USB 2.0 ports.

I don't know if this helps but my (completely different build btw - see under my name) exhibited the same jerky-mouse behaviour when my stupid ass decided stupidly to plug the USB3.0 cable running from the case ports into the big blue USB3.0 header on the motherboard... but I ALSO plugged in the little USB2.0 plug from the same cable into the motherboard. After I researched the jerky-mouse behaviour it was fixed by unplugging the USB2.0 header (and a slap to the head).
So I concluded that jerky-mouse behaviour was caused by two motherboard controllers (in my case IntelZ77USB3.0 and IntelZ77USB2.0) both trying to "control" the same USB port.

I tried installing the USB3 drivers to my P8Z77 V Pro build. Seems to have bricked the machine. Is there a way to roll-back or at least start up to fix it using Multibeast? Sorry for the newbie question.

On ASUS P8Z77-I mini-ITX Caldigit drivers work. For comparison, here is AjA for onboard Z77 intel and AsMedia chip with CalDigit drivers with thelostswede mods:

Attachments

• Z77USB3.0.png
    Z77USB3.0.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 345
  • AsMediaCalDigit.png
    AsMediaCalDigit.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 245
On ASUS P8Z77-I mini-ITX Caldigit drivers work. For comparison, here is AjA for onboard Z77 intel and AsMedia chip with CalDigit drivers with thelostswede mods:
The work on my Asus P8Z77-M Pro as well but they wreck sleep...

The work on my Asus P8Z77-M Pro as well but they wreck sleep...

OTOH, while the kexts work, they not only kill sleep but also the network port - had to re-load the network kext for it to work.

Also tested a USB2.0 flash drive and a USB2.0 platter drive in the AsMedia ports - both drives are seen and I can open files read/write to from both drives, so in that respect it is better than the Z77 ports that only see USB3.0 drives.

Seriously I got no problems with sleep or network, everything works flawlessly.

A disappointing start for me. I updated from Lion with a clean install solely for USB 3.0 functionality. But I'm experiencing the same issue I had with the EJ168 chip in Lion: good speed (hard drive touching 200MB/second at times), but the drive being randomly kicked for no apparent reason, regardless of load or how long it's been plugged in.

Running UEFI without DSDT. The only kexts I've added in Multibeast so far are these USB 3.0 kexts, and those for ALC889 audio and Realtek networking. Any ideas out there?

EDIT: My external USB 2.0 drive doesn't suffer from the randpom kicking, which is odd. In system profiler, my ports are seen as Super-Speed but says limited to 480Mb/sec. Having the USB 3.0 drive sitting idle seems to help it not get kicked.

Attachments

• System Profiler.tiff
    230.9 KB · Views: 148
OK, I got my USB 3.0 thumb drive. I plugged it in and got the same behavior as I did with the USB 3.0 SSD -- the system slowed to a crawl, mouse got very jittery and nonresponsive. I tried to copy some files to the drive, it started to copy and then just hung; had to hit the big red button (well, blue button in my case).

That so odd, as I have no problems at all with the Etron controllers, as you can see from the first post in this thread, I'm getting really good performance... :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back