Graphics
NVIDIA
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I bought this card, HighPoint RocketU Quad USB 3.0 for Mac recently for my Mac Pro (early 2008). It worked okay under Mac OS X 10.6.8

However, after I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7.5, the card has been very wonky. Many times, my HDDs are not recognized and Finder asked to initialize them. Tried with various HDD docking stations and enclosures, I get the same issue. HighPoint Web Support couldn't give adequate support. I asked them if the card could work with Mac OS X 10.7.5 and 10.8.2 and they directed me to this forum to download MultiBeast – Lion 4.6.1 and MultiBeast – Lion 5.0.2

As I'm planning to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.8.2, I would really like to know if the card will work with the OS. I prefer drivers from original manufacturer but they have been a disappointment in tech support. Not sure what MultiBeast does. Also, since Mac OS X 10.8.2 supports USB 3.0, do I really need to install any third party drivers? On top of that, I have another eSATA card to consider.

Any advice? Anyone with the similar card working with Mountain Lion with or without driver?

Thanks in advance.

Advice? Help? Thanks.

Hi Zuckx64,

I'm very surprised official High Point Support asked you to come here for advice (since we are considered unofficial)!
I would have thought Apple support would be better for you instead. I guess times have changed eh? :D

Well about the third-party card support in Mountain Lion 10.8, yes support from manufacturers like Highpoint and Areca RAID cards are better (and native now, so when you plug it in it just works), but I'm not sure to what extent Highpoint USB 3.0 is supported by 10.8. They probably are not supporting it, hence are directing you here.

Anyways I've had a look at your cards specs, and....well you are in luck! I've checked that it uses the Asmedia chipset. This is the same as the Caldigit one.

What you can do is download the Multibeast Lion 5.0.2 here (bottom of page) > http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=6 and under the Miscellaneous section, select 3rd party USB 3.0 drivers and the Caldigit one and install it onto your system. Then run Disk Utility and do a permissions repair on your hard drive. Upon reboot your Highpoint USB 3.0 card should be recognised as a Caldigit device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back