i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Everyone,

About a week ago I have started experiencing sudden slowness with my High Sierra. Boot times are significantly slower (the progress bar comes to 4/5 of the way, goes back a bit and then shoots all the way after couple of minutes). Once I am logged in keep getting a beach ball for EVERYTHING I do, e.g. create a new folder, open a folder, open or close a new tab in Firefox, you name it, it is all 4-5 sec. delay with or without the beach ball.

What I did so far:

1. Monitored the CPU/RAM/HDD (M2 Intel SSD) usage, no issues, all below 1% at almost all times.
2. Scanned for malware, nothing.
3. Reinstalled from Recovery, no change.
4. The only thing I am noticing is Kernel_task having high CPU time, 120+ threads, and 40,000+ idle CPU wakeups, but I've read it is normal.

Where do I start troubleshooting? If you need me to attach any files, please let me know which and how to get them.

Thank you!

P.S.
For the slow boot I am attaching the boot? log and have marked the timestamps of the slow part start and ending points, is seems to be IOAudioEngine. Not sure if it is related, but I have my onboard audio disabled, using USB?

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Boot.pdf
    37.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

About a week ago I have started experiencing sudden slowness with my High Sierra. Boot times are significantly slower (the progress bar comes to 4/5 of the way, goes back a bit and then shoots all the way after couple of minutes). Once I am logged in keep getting a beach ball for EVERYTHING I do, e.g. create a new folder, open a folder, open or close a new tab in Firefox, you name it, it is all 4-5 sec. delay with or without the beach ball.

What I did so far:

1. Monitored the CPU/RAM/HDD (M2 Intel SSD) usage, no issues, all below 1% at almost all times.
2. Scanned for malware, nothing.
3. Reinstalled from Recovery, no change.
4. The only thing I am noticing is Kernel_task having high CPU time, 120+ threads, and 40,000+ idle CPU wakeups, but I've read it is normal.

Where do I start troubleshooting? If you need me to attach any files, please let me know which and how to get them.

Thank you!

P.S.
For the slow boot I am attaching the boot? log and have marked the timestamps of the slow part start and ending points, is seems to be IOAudioEngine. Not sure if it is related, but I have my onboard audio disabled, using USB?

Hi there.

Do you have an external, USB audio device? If so disconnect it and see if that improves boot times and lag.

Thanks, yes, I do. I tried disconnecting, nothing changed, also, slowness started all of a sudden, the interface was there for over a year...
I'm having the same issue....im using focusrite external audio interface for a long time, but it seems like the lag just came out of no where after a few hours. Sudden slowness and lag. If you solve the problem please share how you solved it! I'm using High Sierra too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back