Contribute
Register

High Sierra - RX Vega & Final Cut h.264 fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here - and when you said it was silent for x amount of time, this is when the card actually runs with lower clockspeed. Try geekbench efter a reboot (fan blowing crazy), and try geekbench when the fan has settled down (if you run H.264 video, or the Macworld link)... the score will be about 30% lower with a "silent fan".

Gotta wait until Apple begins to support the cards in a real Mac Pro, probably.

What MacWorld link?

@Diorama. Thanks for this. Followed your steps and this saved my ass. I just changed from Nvidia to AMD GPUs and was having issues. So far everything seems stable with my configuration and using iMac19,1.

SMB_BIOS_VERSION "IM191.88Z.0058.B00.1705091711"
SMB_PRODUCT_NAME "iMac19,1"
SMB_BOARD_PRODUCT "Mac-CF21D135A7D34AA6"

That are your actual system specs ? (CPU, chipset)

I am quite interested in the influence of your fix on the encoding perfomance.
From my understanding, h264 export acceleration in FCPX is only possible with Intel Quicksync, and not with AMD nor NVidia cards. I really wonder whether your fix and configuration proves otherwise.
If you need some reference material, you could use big_buck_bunny_720p_h264.mov for instance, just drop it in a new library/new event, and from the imported media (not even dropped in a new project, to avoid rendering), share it as master h264 file.
On my consumer-grade system, it uses Intel Quicksync, together with 100-110% of CPU (out of 800%), and finishes the export in 1min25s.
1m20s with10.12.6
I don't understand why.My laptop have i5 8400 but can't use UHD630.

Now with 10.13.5 beta 1 when I leave quicktime video on pause and just leave it there in the background closed it fixed my fan issues. I am not using Imac19.1, I am using imacpro and I think now everything works, sleep, no issues, final cut, etc....

Now with 10.13.5 beta 1 when I leave quicktime video on pause and just leave it there in the background closed it fixed my fan issues. I am not using Imac19.1, I am using imacpro and I think now everything works, sleep, no issues, final cut, etc....

Yes, but this is also considerably degrades your GPU clockspeed - try Geekbench 4 Metal Score without quicktime video, and try with the video on pause. Not only this, but it tends to be less stable in FCP X - meaning it's not positive.

Using iGPU (headless) etc. has to me not changed anything.

This is my last issue with iMac Pro 1,1 which otherwise runs great.

Hi,

I switch these days also to a Gigabyte Vega 56. Basically everything runs smoothly OOB at 10.13.4. FCPX runs good and faster. I have only the export issue. I tried the approach of this thread with clover SMBIOS (in my case iMac14,2 --> iMac19,1).
I reboots normal to the login screen but I have no keyboard nor trackpad?
I tried USB Keyboard. I tried a BCM943602CS with bluetooth which worked in clover boot menue... but not with iMac19,1!
Any idea? tips?

Thanks

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has hardware acceleration with internal graphics enabled in BIOs with similar setup to mine? Mine works kinda OK , but in FCPX there are issues with optimized media being with artifacts.
With internal graphics disabled all is good though.

Edited: all sorted out now! Nevermind

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back