Contribute
Register

High Sierra native support for 10Gb ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preliminary results for the Sonnet SoloG Presto 10GbE adapter ($99):

So, I just got and plugged it in. The first thing I did was disable all patches and any Ethernet kexts I could find were deleted.

And yes!!, it indeed does work without a kext or a patch or any flashing! (as long as you have macOS 10.13.4 or greater)

The performance is roughly equivalent to the Aquantia (which wasn't bad) and the Intel X540-T1. And not as fast as a Intel 550.

I have the modded Intel, two Aquantias (that I'm going to sell), and the new Sonnet. If I had to do over again, I would purchase the Sonnet. In the attachment below, you can see that the Sonnet is actually smaller than the Aquantia, with a smaller heatsink. This is relevant because in testing it, I did see it drop a bit over time and I think that's because it was throttling. It started out faster than the Aquantia, then after a few minutes dropped to about the same level as the Aquantia.

Issues and caveats:

- you really want this card in a x8 slot, but I think that's true of all of them: the Aquantia, the Intel and the Sonnet all perform better in a x8 capable slot (which means most probably an unused x16 slot as manufacturers don't usually make motherboards with x8 slots anymore - there might be some, but none I have seen lately).
- Make sure you set any 10G card for Jumbo frames in the macOS. If you leave it at automatic, it will always choose 1500 mtu and your throughput will be affected.
- Always use only Cat 6e or higher cables! It's true Cat 5e or Cat 6 might work (depending on the length), but why take a chance?
- Optionally, you can adjust your SMB settings by doing the following (got this from somewhere, can't remember where......):

Outgoing:
smbutil statshares -a
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server SigningRequired 0

Incoming
sudo -s
echo "[default]" >> /etc/nsmb.conf

echo "signing_required=no" >> /etc/nsmb.conf

exit

But this is the first 10G adapter that I know of that will work in a Mac or Hack with no flashing modifications required, no kexts required, no patches either! And remember, you get it from a good company with a decent reputation, with a warranty and some support. You get none of that with the Intel mod card or the modded Aquantia.

If you have 10.13.4 or greater, this adapter is literally plug and play.

View attachment 344965

Nice! Thanks for the update. I'm most probably going to end up getting one of these too, just for the simplicity of having native driver support.

Like you, I wish they used a larger heatsink...

I wonder if performance would degrade when using PCI-e 2.0 vs PCI-e 3.0.

Nice! Thanks for the update. I'm most probably going to end up getting one of these too, just for the simplicity of having native driver support.

Like you, I wish they used a larger heatsink...

I wonder if performance would degrade when using PCI-e 2.0 vs PCI-e 3.0.

Hmm.....maybe.....when I used these cards in the Z370 with only 16 PCIe lanes, it was about 5-10% slower than the same card in the x99 (with a much more capable processor too) with it's 40 lanes.....

I really am tempted to change the heatsink, but it's not worth it to violate the warranty. Even when it plateaus, it's still as fast as the Aquantia (at least for me in my preliminary results).

Just in case someone wants to dual boot with Windows, and here's the reason why this card mirrors the Asus Aquantia. It IS an Aquantia, an AQC107, and the driver you would download for Windows would be the Windows version for the AQC107.

Well now, maybe that Heat Sink is too small.....

Because my new "Presto 10G" card by Sonnet just died.....

Hmm....well, maybe these cards do need to age a bit.....but the nice thing is that as it is under warranty and purchased from Amazon, it will be an extremely simple return.

Oh well......

Well now, maybe that Heat Sink is too small.....because my new "Presto" card by Sonnet just died.....

Hmm....well, maybe these cards do need to age a bit.....but the nice thing is that as it is under warranty and purchased from Amazon, it will be an extremely simple return.

Oh well......

Oh bummer!

Just curious... Do the mounting holes for the heatsink match up with your other AQC107 cards? Maybe it would be an easy swap to a larger heatsink...

Sorry, it's already on its way back to Amazon. The heatsink holes might line up - its hard to tell for sure.

I should note that what happened was I was in Windows doing a download when the download stopped, and the card showed no cable connected. Then I rebooted into Mac and it showed the same thing. So, at that point, it was essentially, dead to me - I couldn't use it in the Mac or in Windows, so I shipped it back and returned it.

I think I'll wait and see what others experience with it will be....I already have one more adapter than I need, so I can wait....

Jump into this wagon.
Before to start, I would like to check the number version of the macOS needed for the firmware upgrade for the ASUS 10 Gbe card.
Is it 10.13.3 (17D47) ?
I ask this because, I need to start with 10.13.1 and update > 10.13.3 with combo update and/or special update for (true) iMac Pro, so I'm a little bit confused with all version numbers.
Other questions:
- do I need to update the system -> 10.13.3 before or after have been plugged the card into PC ?
- Is the Mieze's patch (post #118) needed before and/or after the card's firmware has been upgraded ?
- do I need to inject iMac Pro SMBIOS via CloverConfig ?

Thanks.

Jump into this wagon.
Before to start, I would like to check the number version of the macOS needed for the firmware upgrade for the ASUS 10 Gbe card.
Is it 10.13.3 (17D47) ?
I ask this because, I need to start with 10.13.1 and update > 10.13.3 with combo update and/or special update for (true) iMac Pro, so I'm a little bit confused with all version numbers.
Other questions:
- do I need to update the system -> 10.13.3 before or after have been plugged the card into PC ?
- Is the Mieze's patch (post #118) needed before and/or after the card's firmware has been upgraded ?
- do I need to inject iMac Pro SMBIOS via CloverConfig ?

Thanks.

The following should work:
  1. Plug in the card.
  2. Update to 10.13.3.
  3. Add KextsToPatch

The following should work:
  1. Plug in the card.
  2. Update to 10.13.3.
  3. Add KextsToPatch
I first tried with 10.13.1 + combo update 10.13.3 without success.
With a full 10.13.3 installer, it works immediatly and with 10.13.6 with Mieze patch #118
On Windows side, bootcamp driver works fine too.
Now I just need a X540-T2 for my Syno and a 10Gbe switch...^^

Many thanks (and also d5aqoup and Mieze)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back