Contribute
Register

High Sierra native support for 10Gb ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, now that you've got 10GbE, I would only suggest you double check your MTU on each device in the chain on your home network. That means making sure that each device (PC/Mac, Switch, etc) has it's MTU is set manually for Jumbo frames (Typically that's 9000 MTU). The common, automatic MTU setting is 1500, and Apple and Windows will default to that setting which will dramatically affect (lower) your throughput. And, if you can set Jumbo Frames on your switch, do it, if you can (some switches are unmanaged and do not allow you to set the MTU, so in that case you have to rely on their ability to auto set the MTU).....don't trust it to be set automatically, change it if you can.

Additionally, make sure you have, at a minimum, Cat 6A 550 Mhz cables (Cat 7 would be better) connecting everything.

These are details that many who have adopted 10GbE often miss, and end up finding their throughput not what they expected.

Congrats on your upgrade and have fun....!

For Those of you with the X540T, a couple questions:
- How is the speed/performance
- What is your setup? Point-to-point or Switch?
I've been wanting to go 10GB for a long time, but I'd have to get another mobo with PCIE X8 slot - difficult since my Hack uses Micro ATX mobo. I'd prob have to go ATX & I hate big cases :(
Is it possible to daisy chain 4 computers since these are 2-port NICs???

Thanks

- How is the speed/performance
- What is your setup? Point-to-point or Switch?
I've been wanting to go 10GB for a long time, but I'd have to get another mobo with PCIE X8 slot - difficult since my Hack uses Micro ATX mobo. I'd prob have to go ATX & I hate big cases :(

Thanks

• I think I saw about 800MB/s reads and about 300MB/s writes but the slow write speed is most likely due to my use of extremely slow drives in my NAS.
  • I've done direct connection to the NAS and I'm currently using a switch. No real difference in speed either way.
  • I use an mATX motherboard. I think most Z370 or Z390 motherboard will have enough slots unless you are using dual video cards.
  • I don't understand what you mean about daisy chaining.

• I think I saw about 800MB/s reads and about 300MB/s writes but the slow write speed is most likely due to my use of extremely slow drives in my NAS.
  • I've done direct connection to the NAS and I'm currently using a switch. No real difference in speed either way.
  • I use an mATX motherboard. I think most Z370 or Z390 motherboard will have enough slots unless you are using dual video cards.
  • I don't understand what you mean about daisy chaining.
Daisy chaining - if you have 4 computers, each one with one of the 2-port NICs, can you run peer-to-peer? Run a cable from one PC to the other, etc. without using a switch & have it work?

Daisy chaining - if you have 4 computers, each one with one of the 2-port NICs, can you run peer-to-peer? Run a cable from one PC to the other, etc. without using a switch & have it work?

Each computer would only be able to connect to whatever they are directly connected to.

:(

No.....have you ever managed to do that with any other networking device? Like a 1GB card? Daisy chain from computer to computer, without a switch?

The answer is no. Multiple ethernet cards connected on a network typically require a hub or a switch, unless you want to go really old school with RG-58 cable (10 Base 2) with BNC connectors.....why in the world would you want to do that??

Maybe it's possible with some elaborate bridging?

Maybe it's possible with some elaborate bridging?

Well possibly, but the broadcast domain on that would be truly nuts......and that amount of broadcasts would just eat up your bandwidth to the point that it would hardly be worth it.

Given that the base of macOS is actually Linux (well, actually BSD), it does have routing capabilities built into it, so that might allow multiple computers to connect together....after all, 10Base2 was just a line of RG-58 cable, tapped into with BNC connectors......

Oh, that brings up so many bad memories......BNC connectors! Gah.....the horror, the horror.....!!....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back