Contribute
Register

Help with Kernal Panic Ventura iMac 19.1

Boot verbose, then post a screenshot of exactly what the KP is. What does that say is the issue ?
Thank you trs96.
Verbose mode unreadable. Type ridiculously small and it scrolls continuously until it switches to boot mode.

Nevertheless, I managed to enter Recovery and I trashed entire 970 Evo system, reinstalled a fresh Ventura and was able to rebuild with transfer settings via Migration Assistant. So the SATA drive now seems reliable but I cannot open either of two external drives as I am blocked by KP.

Drive 1 is the SN770 on a cheap Chinese USB3.0 case; drive 2 is a Samsung T7 carrying a Ventura bootable clone and Time Machine backup.

I found Apple D gave positive results - no machine error found. SMART tells me 970 Evo 100%. below are Logs from Library crash results with other info from Console.
I ran Entre Check and include the Report. Am cleaning up OS per directions from Entre Check.

If these offer a clue regarding KP blocking access to external drives that would be good.

Thank you for your support.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 8.40.07 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 8.40.07 am.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 7.33.33 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 7.33.33 pm.png
    828.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 6.15.42 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 6.15.42 pm.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 7.42.42 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 7.42.42 pm.png
    471.3 KB · Views: 2
  • iMac 2023-12-11 (Solution).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 8.53.00 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 8.53.00 am.png
    621.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thank you trs96.
Verbose mode unreadable. Tye ridiculously small and it scrolls continuously until it switches to boot mode.

Nevertheless, I managed to enter Recovery and I trashed entire 970 Evo system, reinstalled a fresh Ventura and was able to transfer setting via Migration Assistant. So the SATA drive now seems reliable but I cannot open either of two external drives as I am blocked by KP. Drive 1 is the SN770 on a cheap Chinese USB3.0 case; drive 2 is a Samsung T7 carrying a Ventura bootable clone and Time Machine backup.

I found Apple D gave positive results - no machine error found. SMART tells me each drive,970 Evo SN770 and Samsung T7 all 99.9-100%. Logs in library crash results below with other info from Console.
I ran Entre Check and include the Report. Am cleaning up OS per directions from Entre Check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kernal file and Analytics.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 11.02.11 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 11.02.11 pm.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 10.58.48 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 10.58.48 pm.png
    772 KB · Views: 6
Why no panic diagnostic file available ? Makes no sense.

Screen Shot 6.jpg

Kernal file and Analytics.

Hi there.

You clearly know what you are doing so there's probably not much I can add...

I owned a 27" iMac from 2019 at one point. I wonder if the problem you are having is related to the SSD usually being seen as a component of the hybrid "Fusion" drive?

i know we can either use both drives separately or re-combine them to a Fusion drive using Terminal wizardry (I had to do this once when the SSD failed).

Just wondering if the SSD is being misidentified by the system. Worth checking?

:)

Why no panic diagnostic file available ? Makes no sens

View attachment 575738
Why no panic diagnostic file available ? Makes no sense.

View attachment 575738
I am pig ignorant regarding interpretation of logs and process files. A wild guess; As I trashed the SATA OS, and reformatted and rebuilt OS. I assume old logs trashed with reformatting? Do logs survive OS erasure?

Initially KP started with SN770. I removed and replaced it with Apple 128. From Recovery I downloaded Ventura onto Apple128 to provide another boot disk. Initially it booted fine then KP effected both SATA 970 and Apple 128 NVMe drive.

At that point obtaining logs or analytics was impossible which is why I decided to trash and rebuild on SATA. Now I have SATA behaving properly I have trashed Ventura on Apple 128 hoping to eliminate KP.
So I figure I have been trashing the logs you need.
Instability remains. When I attempt to boot up from external NVME Samsung or ADATA drives, I get KP.

Does this Console Install log or Kernal Report give a clue?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 2.36.14 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 2.36.14 am.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 10.58.48 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 10.58.48 pm.png
    772 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hi there.

You clearly know what you are doing so there's probably not much I can add...

I owned a 27" iMac from 2019 at one point. I wonder if the problem you are having is related to the SSD usually being seen as a component of the hybrid "Fusion" drive?

i know we can either use both drives separately or re-combine them to a Fusion drive using Terminal wizardry (I had to do this once when the SSD failed).

Just wondering if the SSD is being misidentified by the system. Worth checking?

Alas, regarding these logs, I do not know what I am doing. I do not know how to check. But I am doubtful. I disconnected Fusion in relation to Apple NVMe and old HDD prior to upgrade. I honestly cannot remember whether I disconnected Fusion in Terminal or just erased both the 128 NVMe and HDD. I believe I did use Terminal being concerned to make a clean transition.

I follow your idea, but KP was effecting two new drives neither of which had been formatted for Fusion. Further, they worked perfectly for three months. If I did not disconnect Fusion properly in Terminal prior to upgrade you may have a point.

Assuming there was a residual default Command line Fusion instruction creating this problem, is it reasonable for it to be dormant for three months and then appear spontaneously and unprovoked?

Easier to accept trs96 observation that Sintech adapter is incompatible as per Western Digital specs and took three months to do a hissy fit! I am waiting for WD and the WD Forum users to comment on suitable adapter brands.

Last edited:
... is it reasonable for it to be dormant for three months and then appear spontaneously and unprovoked?

Good point.

Easier to accept trs96 observation that Sintech adapter is incompatible as per Western Digital specs

Yes, @trs96 is usually right about things. I haven't used one of those adapters. Only the WD SSDs. :thumbup:

The angle I was pursuing is the Kernel Panic - which is usually caused by incorrect code rather than hardware. In the sense that if a drive is not readable there's nothing to crash the kernel. It just fails to read with a no-entry sign (as an example).

But yes, go with @trs96 's advice.

Good point.

Yes, @trs96 is usually right about things. I haven't used one of those adapters. Only the WD SSDs. :thumbup:

The angle I was pursuing is the Kernel Panic - which is usually caused by incorrect code rather than hardware. In the sense that if a drive is not readable there's nothing to crash the kernel. It just fails to read with a no-entry sign (as an example).

But yes, go with @trs96 's advice.

Thank you for you thoughts. I appreciate your comment too regarding software cause of kernal panic. Bit of a chicken and egg situation at the interface is it not? Entre Check advises KP often caused by Kernal extensions running in background. Residual Virus detection files found in my system. Now deleted I believe.

Entre Check advises KP often caused by Kernal extensions running in background. Residual Virus detection files found in my system. Now deleted I believe.
Have you ever put any 3rd party hackintosh kexts onto your iMac ? Have you ever modified the EFI partition ? Ever run Multibeast on it ? I've seen some people do this to their real Mac and run into booting problems.

Back