i3-4005U
Graphics
HD 4400
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello awesome community,
I am trying to install macOS High Sierra on a Kaby Lake system. I just need to clear some stuffs up.

Below are the specs for reference:-
Processor: Intel corei5-7200U
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620

So, technically. I have to use config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist from RehabMan's repo.

Also, as mentioned by @RehabMan somewhere, macOS Sierra 10.12.6 introduced support for Kaby Lake hardware but the plist file from the above source has some entries that are confusing me, like:-

FakeID 0x59168086 in Devices > IntelGFX (Why do we need to fake the GFX?)

ig-platform-id 0x591b0000 in Graphics section (This is where I am mostly confused, My processor has HD 620 but the ID being injected here is for HD 630?? Shouldn't I be using ig-platform-id 0x59160000 for HD 620?)

Please someone clear these two things out for me.

Sorry if these questions sound lame as I am not that well informed about these.

Regards

FakeID 0x59168086 in Devices > IntelGFX (Why do we need to fake the GFX?)

Because Clover will inject a Skylake FakeID on Kaby Lake hardware if you don't specify a KabyLake id.

ig-platform-id 0x591b0000 in Graphics section (This is where I am mostly confused, My processor has HD 620 but the ID being injected here is for HD 630?? Shouldn't I be using ig-platform-id 0x59160000 for HD 620?)

ig-platform-id is not necessarily tied to a specific device-id.
It has more to do with connector layout than device-id (although there is some correlation, so you don't want to stray too far).
You can experiment with both.

Because Clover will inject a Skylake FakeID on Kaby Lake hardware if you don't specify a KabyLake id.
Thank you for clearing this up. So if I am right, We won’t be needing this in future releases of Clover?

P.S. I know we can’t predict the future. But this is somewhat predictable, hence the question.

Thank you for clearing this up. So if I am right, We won’t be needing this in future releases of Clover?

P.S. I know we can’t predict the future. But this is somewhat predictable, hence the question.

Ummm... you answered your own question.
Predicting the future is impossible... and you are asking me to predict what future changes might be made to Clover.

In your fork of Clover? This is fairly predictable.

That particular change is not high on my priority list.
It would require gma.c to know which version of the system is about to be booted (as spoofing is required on 10.12.5 or earlier).
For now, setting config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x59160000 works just fine.

For now, setting config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x59160000 works just fine.
Absolutely. Thank you man for answering each of my lame questions. That’d be all, for now :p
Regards

@RehabMan Can i use _PRW patch meant for sky lake on kaby lake? Or there needs to be some different method to achieve the same on a Kaby Lake system?

Is FakePCIID along with FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics required in this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back