Contribute
Register

Help getting past "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Hello,

I am trying to get my first install of El Capitan for my new Hackintosh that I just built. Everything is set BIOS-wise, I created a UEFI USB for El Capitan and every time I boot using the USB, it brings me to that screen. I don't know what else to do and I can't seem to find a thread talking about fixes. The only one that talks about it is the Big list of fixes folder but gives no solution other than, "You might have chosen a Legacy boot option".

What could I be missing here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update:

So I somehow figured out my issue and was able to successfully boot into the USB. Now I have gotten to the part where I reboot and select the El Capitan drive to finish installing, but once it is finished it boots back to Clover and I don't know what to choose next.

Update:

So I somehow figured out my issue and was able to successfully boot into the USB. Now I have gotten to the part where I reboot and select the El Capitan drive to finish installing, but once it is finished it boots back to Clover and I don't know what to choose next.
I am also stuck on this boot issue. Could you let me know on how you rectified it ?

I am also stuck on this boot issue. Could you let me know on how you rectified it ?
Well I got passed the "reboot and select proper" problem because I missed a step when creating the USB where it says to choose "GUID Partition Table" instead of "Master Boot Record". I also made sure that I chose UEFI boot instead of Legacy since I am using a z170x mobo which supports it. Those were the only things I messed up.

For the installation problem where it boots back into Clover instead of the El Capitan Homescreen:

So what it doesn't mention in the installation guide which I feel it should, is on the second boot where you choose the El Capitan drive instead, during the Internet Connection setup page you have to choose that you don't have internet and will set it up later. That step lets you go through all the rest of the setup. If you choose any other option, it goes to a gray loading screen and reboots the process all over again.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I am trying to do GUIP partition and I am getting two partitions even if I select as one partition, is it coming like that for you too ?

Hi, I am trying to do GUIP partition and I am getting two partitions even if I select as one partition, is it coming like that for you too ?
Are you saying when you boot the hackintosh, hit f12 or whatever button and it shows you two partitions? Does one of them say UEFI "Your USB name" Partition? If so, that is what is supposed to happen. Select that one and you should be able to boot into Clover.

Here's what I did for me to be able to get back to windows 10.

**MY CONTEXT & CIRCUMSTANCES ** PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE NOT ACTUALLY INSTALLED THE MACOS SIERRA FULLY YET on my existing Windows 10 PC; ONLY MANAGED getting so far towards the Sierra install screen (though had to disable my serial port and disable Intel virtualization in the BIOS)... but realized that I had to do so much more backup before hand....but this led me to exactly where and when I ended up with a similar problem that is - that I can't get back to Windows 10 at all without the error message "'Reboot and select proper boot device".

---
Having said that as disclaimer here's what I did (Please note that I'm typing this straight and immediately based off from memory):
  1. Find your Windows 10 USB installation key. (The retail USB flash drive; that is - that comes with your Windows 10 retail purchase).
  2. Use that drive to boot your computer. Strangely enough! my BIOS (Asrock H77M) did NOT detect it but just after exiting my BIOS it did boot through that automatically.
  3. Choose Setup Windows 10 (64 bit).
  4. Once you've made it to the Install screen, click on repair.
  5. Here, I just randomly go in and out of several of the options and then exit out from there.
  6. There should be an option that says restart or exit whereby allowing you to simply restart your PC.
  7. Once restarted, things should go back to normal.

Now - with that being said and done, I was able to boot back to Windows 10. I was able to shutdown or restart back to it as usual without the dread nightmare 'Reboot and select proper boot device' error that you or others might be facing.

Again, please take the above with a grain of salt, as I am still yet to actually complete my first hackintosh too; and very scarily I was met with the above problems even before completing the macOS Sierra setup! A very scary experience indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back