Contribute
Register

Help for a beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.
IGFX is the same thing as iGPU. I don't own one of these boards so I wasn't sure what they called it.

It would probably be best to ask for some help from someone that owns the same motherboard as you.
I've owned other GA boards but never any GA-Z77X Ivy Bridge boards like this one.

Is probably the most qualified to help you out with this. I don't find a definitive Catalina guide anywhere on this site but I'm pretty sure @Cfreak has gotten it to work on his.
Ok I will, hopefully I find a way to get it working. Thank you so much for your time it's appreciated! I've made a small donation to TonyMac as a token of thanks for how helpful you all are and the work you do!

And if anyone from the future is having the same problem and has followed the end of this thread hoping to find an answer then please get in touch with me and I will try and remember how I fixed it!

I ended up doing a clean Catalina install and got everything working perfectly so far.

For anyone with the same now pretty retro set up as me I followed the TonyMac Catalina install guide. I wanted to update BIOS on the UD5H but couldn't figure out how so this was setup using the f14 version. For all Bios settings I tried my best to match this guide: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...yte-z77x-ud5h-clover-uefi-installtweak-guide/

You may also find this thread useful:
In Unibeast I went for:
Legacy Boot mode (I still don't really understand what the difference is but I though Id try it.)
No graphics injection (leave both boxes unchecked)

For MultiBeast I used the following:
Quick start > Legacy
Drivers > Audio > AppleALC
Drivers > Misc > VirtualSMC
Drivers > Misc > VirtualSMC Plugins
Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausi 1.0.3
(I actually didn't enable this first time round as my Ethernet was working but after the first reboot it disappeared so this was added in a second round of MultiBeast)
Bootloaders > Clover Legacy Boot Mode
Customise > Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen
Customise > System Definitions > iMac 14,2
Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausi 1.0.3

I have sound, I have internet and both displays are working as well as all the USB ports. I don't know if i can get sound via HDMI or DP but it's not something I need.

I'll try and remember to update this with any problems/fixes I find as I go! Good luck!

Legacy Boot mode (I still don't really understand what the difference is but I though Id try it.)
Legacy mode is for systems without a UEFI BIOS.
In Legacy mode the boot files are located in the /EFI folder on the system partition whereas in UEFI capable systems they are located on the UEFI partition.

Your GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard is fully UEFI capable so you should install the boot loader to the UEFI partition.

IGFX is the same thing as iGPU. I don't own one of these boards so I wasn't sure what they called it.

It would probably be best to ask for some help from someone that owns the same motherboard as you.
I've owned other GA boards but never any GA-Z77X Ivy Bridge boards like this one.

Is probably the most qualified to help you out with this. I don't find a definitive Catalina guide anywhere on this site but I'm pretty sure @Cfreak has gotten it to work on his.
My Z77 UD5H is still on 10.14.6 and I haven't used it in awhile. So I don't have any Catalina experience. I did document my adventures successfully booting it form NVMe here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...70k-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-660-ti.70530/page-59. I will probably update all my Macs to Big Sur in the next 3 months and skip Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back