Contribute
Register

Help fixing brightness on Asus Z53S with only nVidia Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably need to patch AppleBacklight.kext Info.plist (or build an injector kext). No further details (I don't have your hardware)... suggest google for more information.

Thank you, I'll try that!

Thank you, I'll try that!

It also might be something as simple as using the wrong _UID in the PNLF device... Also, SMBIOS in use plays a role. The brightness data in AppleBacklight.kext depends on SMBIOS, the _UID in PNLF, and the vendor/device-id in EDID of the display.

It also might be something as simple as using the wrong _UID in the PNLF device... Also, SMBIOS in use plays a role. The brightness data in AppleBacklight.kext depends on SMBIOS, the _UID in PNLF, and the vendor/device-id in EDID of the display.

Could you please give me a clue as to where to put the vendor, device id and EDID data (I can see it in Ioreg)? My SMBIOS is MacBookPro3,1 (matching CPU + very close to my GPU). What is _UID? I can see it in PNLF device in my DSDT (value is 0x0A) but how do I know if it's correct or not?
I am currently back to using the "brightness fix"ed DSDT and ACPIBacklight.kext, which gives me the dysfunctional brightness slider.
I have stumbled onto your post about patched AppleBacklight.kext but I don't think it applies to my hardware since I have a nVidia card.

On a different note, when I connect an external display to the laptop, it works but shows up twice in System Preferences > Displays. Any ideas? Thank you heaps!

Attached: current ioreg copy.

Attachments

• Conath.ioreg.zip
    361.4 KB · Views: 68
Could you please give me a clue as to where to put the vendor, device id and EDID data (I can see it in Ioreg)? My SMBIOS is MacBookPro3,1 (matching CPU + very close to my GPU). What is _UID? I can see it in PNLF device in my DSDT (value is 0x0A) but how do I know if it's correct or not?
I am currently back to using the "brightness fix"ed DSDT and ACPIBacklight.kext, which gives me the dysfunctional brightness slider.
I have stumbled onto your post about patched AppleBacklight.kext but I don't think it applies to my hardware since I have a nVidia card.

On a different note, when I connect an external display to the laptop, it works but shows up twice in System Preferences > Displays. Any ideas? Thank you heaps!

Attached: current ioreg copy.

DisplayVendorID and DisplayProductID are properties attached to the AppleBacklightDisplay node in ioreg.

DisplayVendorID and DisplayProductID are properties attached to the AppleBacklightDisplay node in ioreg.

I know, please read my post again. My question is: what do I do with this information? What does _UID value in DSDT>PNLF do and how do I fix it?

I know, please read my post again. My question is: what do I do with this information? What does _UID value in DSDT>PNLF do and how do I fix it?

As previously mentioned, you will need to do some reverse engineering of the AppleBacklight.kext Info.plist. Just like I did for the Intel case. You can refer to my writeup for clues.

As previously mentioned, you will need to do some reverse engineering of the AppleBacklight.kext Info.plist. Just like I did for the Intel case. You can refer to my writeup for clues.

Ok, so I'm looking at AppleBacklight.kext. Do I have to change something about the ApplePanels dict or just the values to the bottom of the screenshot? My display edid in ioreg is way longer than the ones in ApplePanels…

Attachments

• applebacklight.png
    applebacklight.png
    55 KB · Views: 157
Ok, so I'm looking at AppleBacklight.kext. Do I have to change something about the ApplePanels dict or just the values to the bottom of the screenshot? My display edid in ioreg is way longer than the ones in ApplePanels…

You should be looking at ApplePanels. That is where all the brightness data is for each supported Apple panel.

You should be looking at ApplePanels. That is where all the brightness data is for each supported Apple panel.

Well… my laptop obviously doesn't have an Apple panel, so do I have to add mine or change an existing entry? With what data? My display edid is way longer than the values in the ApplePanels dict. Do I have to combine some of the data values from ioreg?

Well… my laptop obviously doesn't have an Apple panel, so do I have to add mine or change an existing entry? With what data? My display edid is way longer than the values in the ApplePanels dict. Do I have to combine some of the data values from ioreg?

You really need to read about what I did for the Intel case... Yes, you need to add your data, or build an injector kext that has it. AppleBacklight.kext uses your _UID in PNLF, your SMBIOS, and your vendor/display id of your panel as a lookup in the ApplePanels dictionary.

Look at this in Terminal:
Code:
strings /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBacklight.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBacklight

If you're familiar with C programming and printf, that should start to give you some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back