Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
My Hack is nearly fully working on El Capitan 10.11.5. Hardware specs are in my profile. I am using Clover boot loader with custom patched dsdt for battery percentage. Even sleep is working! Only the backlight problem remains:

In BIOS, I can change the brightness using FN+F5/F6 keys. When not using a custom DSDT, this functionality is retained in OS X. However, with patched DSDT, it doesn't work anymore. I've tried the "Brightness Fix" patch for the DSDT and the IntelBacklight kext, but that doesn't do anything. I suspect I have to patch things differently because my Laptop doesn't have Intel graphics but only nVidia GeForce 8600m GS. The graphics card is fully recognized and has QE/CI. How can I patch my DSDT for working backlight controls in El Capican? I've attached my DSDT (without brightness patches). Thank you!

Edit: After waking my laptop up from sleep, the brightness is locked to minimum value and I can't see a thing. I have to use a flashlight to find the reboot button. After reboot, the brightness is normal again until sleep.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    45.3 KB · Views: 172
My Hack is nearly fully working on El Capitan 10.11.5. Hardware specs are in my profile. I am using Clover boot loader with custom patched dsdt for battery percentage. Even sleep is working! Only the backlight problem remains:

In BIOS, I can change the brightness using FN+F5/F6 keys. When not using a custom DSDT, this functionality is retained in OS X. However, with patched DSDT, it doesn't work anymore. I've tried the "Brightness Fix" patch for the DSDT and the IntelBacklight kext, but that doesn't do anything. I suspect I have to patch things differently because my Laptop doesn't have Intel graphics but only nVidia GeForce 8600m GS. The graphics card is fully recognized and has QE/CI. How can I patch my DSDT for working backlight controls in El Capican? I've attached my DSDT (without brightness patches). Thank you!

Edit: After waking my laptop up from sleep, the brightness is locked to minimum value and I can't see a thing. I have to use a flashlight to find the reboot button. After reboot, the brightness is normal again until sleep.

See guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/

Try "Brightness Fix".

IntelBacklight.kext is not applicable to Nvidia - it is specific to Intel graphics only (hence 'Intel' in the name).

Ok, so I patched my DSDT with the "Brightness Fix" patch and installed APCIBrightness.kext. I now have a beautiful brightness slider in Preferences - but it doesn't change the brightness.

I've attached my the patchmatic, ioreg and Clover files.

Output of kextstat:
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
   13    2 0xffffff7f829e2000 0x60000    0x60000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (4.0) A29C7512-D3A8-3AED-9721-3A5FF1A32EB2 <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
   22    0 0xffffff7f82897000 0x2b000    0x2b000    com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (218.0.0) E90482A0-CDAF-300A-BF4E-75247E5FD0F5 <7 6 5 4 3 1>
   30    0 0xffffff7f82892000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient (218.0.0) 99C8A694-575D-32C8-B319-1BB8F5518D97 <7 6 5 4 3 1>

kextstat|grep -y applelpc
   96    0 0xffffff7f827e8000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (3.1) 32BDCF9F-0473-32D4-9DAE-F523EFB2D244 <94 12 5 4 3>

Output of touch S/L/E command:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
Password:
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooHDA.kext
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDADisabler.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

Attachments

• patchmatic.zip
    18.6 KB · Views: 80
  • conath.ioreg
    1.5 MB · Views: 178
  • Clover.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 98
Ok, so I patched my DSDT with the "Brightness Fix" patch and installed APCIBrightness.kext. I now have a beautiful brightness slider in Preferences - but it doesn't change the brightness.

Try without ACPIBacklight.kext.

Try without ACPIBacklight.kext.

Ok. The slider has disappeared. :| It doesn't work after sleep, either.
With ACPIBacklight.kext, the slider doesn't work neither before nor after sleep.

Ok. The slider has disappeared. :|

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Provide output (in Terminal):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y applehda

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

With ACPIBacklight.kext, the slider doesn't work neither before nor after sleep.

Not surprising. Native ACPI methods usually don't work.

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.
See conath.ioreg.zip
Provide output (in Terminal):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y applehda
kextstat|grep -y applehda doesn't print anything. Maybe because I'm using VoodooHDA? Output of the other commands is attached in kextstat.txt.zip and included in my previous post.

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.
Done all of that; F4, themes not included; Clover.zip
Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:

Again, I already posted this but I've included it as touch.txt.zip here as well.

Attachments

• kextstat.txt.zip
    882 bytes · Views: 102
  • Clover.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 100
  • conath.ioreg.zip
    376.7 KB · Views: 96
  • touch.txt.zip
    384 bytes · Views: 87
See conath.ioreg.zip

kextstat|grep -y applehda doesn't print anything. Maybe because I'm using VoodooHDA? Output of the other commands is attached in kextstat.txt.zip and included in my previous post.

Done all of that; F4, themes not included; Clover.zip

Again, I already posted this but I've included it as touch.txt.zip here as well.

I find it strange that you are saying there is no backlight slider in SysPrefs->Displays when ioreg shows AppleBacklightDisplay.

Are you certain?

I find it strange that you are saying there is no backlight slider in SysPrefs->Displays when ioreg shows AppleBacklightDisplay.

Are you certain?

Yes, I am. (see attached screenshot)

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-23 um 18.54.10.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-23 um 18.54.10.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 147
Yes, I am. (see attached screenshot)

You probably need to patch AppleBacklight.kext Info.plist (or build an injector kext). No further details (I don't have your hardware)... suggest google for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back