Contribute
Register

HELP! Cannot Reach Mojave Installer! Garbled Text and Circle With A Slash

Status
Not open for further replies.
The USB drive appears in BIOS and boots into Clover but the Mac OS Mojave installer doesn't show up in the Clover bootloader. That's what leads me to thinking I messed something up. I'm going to borrow a friend's Macbook later and make High Sierra and Mojave flash drives and report back if either of those works.

The USB drive appears in BIOS and boots into Clover but the Mac OS Mojave installer doesn't show up in the Clover bootloader. That's what leads me to thinking I messed something up. I'm going to borrow a friend's Macbook later and make High Sierra and Mojave flash drives and report back if either of those works.
Good idea to completely erase and re-create the USB install disk for Mojave. I don't think you need to worry about High Sierra at this time.

Good idea to completely erase and re-create the USB install disk for Mojave. I don't think you need to worry about High Sierra at this time.
The OP is using this hardware:

ASUS PRIME B360M-A
i3-8100 3.6ghz Coffee Lake
Gigabyte GeForce 1050 Ti
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB DDR4
Samsung Evo 860 SSD

Therefore, Mojave won't work as there are no 1050 Ti drivers yet from Nvidia. Would be better to install High Sierra.
It would help if the OP put the hardware they are installing on into their profile as per the rules. This would greatly help anyone trying to assist them.

UPDATE:
I re-made the USB drive and now am able to reach the installer. For some reason I can only reach it when plugged into my discreet graphics card, not the CPU graphics. If plugged into the CPU the display will shut off after the Apple loading bar completes. I tried unplugging the nvidia 1050 and trying again but display still shuts off.

Unfortunately now the installer hangs at two minutes left. I've tried the following:
-Tried rebooting and letting the installer run again multiple times.
-Tried formatting the SSD as Mac OS Extended instead of APFS
-Tried booting from "Preboot on Mojave" drive, or "Mojave Install on Mojave" drive. In this case the loading bar freezes after only a minute with 14-15 minutes left. It's a good sign though it shows it's getting very close to completing the install as it's already created a partial boot drive.
-Tried the fixes in this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-h370m-plus-work-in-progress.263480/

Seems the issue has something to do with installing on a SSD as well?
Currently trying installing on a HDD instead of the SSD I'll be back with results.

UPDATE:
I re-made the USB drive and now am able to reach the installer. For some reason I can only reach it when plugged into my discreet graphics card, not the CPU graphics. If plugged into the CPU the display will shut off after the Apple loading bar completes. I tried unplugging the nvidia 1050 and trying again but display still shuts off.

Unfortunately now the installer hangs at two minutes left. I've tried the following:
-Tried rebooting and letting the installer run again multiple times.
-Tried formatting the SSD as Mac OS Extended instead of APFS
-Tried booting from "Preboot on Mojave" drive, or "Mojave Install on Mojave" drive. In this case the loading bar freezes after only a minute with 14-15 minutes left. It's a good sign though it shows it's getting very close to completing the install as it's already created a partial boot drive.
-Tried the fixes in this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-h370m-plus-work-in-progress.263480/

Seems the issue has something to do with installing on a SSD as well?
Currently trying installing on a HDD instead of the SSD I'll be back with results.
I have been watching a good troubleshoot from the sidelines and did not want to get in to disrupt the flow.
But this sentence grabbed my attention to raise the question why?
For some reason I can only reach it when plugged into my discreet graphics card, not the CPU graphics.

• First of all, as trs96 correctly pointed it out, the Gigabyte 1050 Ti 4GB is currently a very expensive "paper weight" sitting on the MoBo of a System struggling to get macOS Mojave Installation.
  • Mojave installation won't be able to function with that card as the Initial Primary Display.
If plugged into the CPU the display will shut off after the Apple loading bar completes. I tried unplugging the nvidia 1050 and trying again but display still shuts off
To figure this out you or somebody else with a little more expertise with Mojave installation must check:

• BIOS Graphics related options
  • CLOVER from the USB Installer disk
These are the two variables which can shed some light on that
For some reason

Tried booting from "Preboot on Mojave" drive, or "Mojave Install on Mojave" drive. In this case the loading bar freezes after only a minute with 14-15 minutes left. It's a good sign though it shows it's getting very close to completing the install as it's already created a partial boot drive.
Have you tried rebooting at this point and choosing "Boot macOS Install from Mojave" to continue the second stage process?

So same issue is happening when I install on a HDD or a SSD so that's not the problem...
Have you tried rebooting at this point and choosing "Boot macOS Install from Mojave" to continue the second stage process?
Yes the loading bar freezes after about a minute with 14-15 minutes left on the SSD. When trying the HDD it froze with 30 minutes left.

I have no clue why I can reach the installer with the 1050 but the screen goes dark if plugged into Intel. Maybe someone knows?

I'm going to try installing High Sierra on Sunday as I need to borrow a friend's Mac again for that.

So same issue is happening when I install on a HDD or a SSD so that's not the problem...

Yes the loading bar freezes after about a minute with 14-15 minutes left on the SSD. When trying the HDD it froze with 30 minutes left.

I have no clue why I can reach the installer with the 1050 but the screen goes dark if plugged into Intel. Maybe someone knows?

I'm going to try installing High Sierra on Sunday as I need to borrow a friend's Mac again for that.
That freeze may be normal. Have you tried rebooting it when the freeze occurs and then continuing the installation by choosing “Boot MacOS Install from Mojave”?

That freeze may be normal. Have you tried rebooting it when the freeze occurs and then continuing the installation by choosing “Boot MacOS Install from Mojave”?

Can't this be due to a Graphics related issue in the BIOS options or a CLOVER issue? If you go back and read all the threads from the start of the troubleshoot by the OP, no one has asked to upload CLOVER or BIOS Options list for this "unknown cause" for the Intel HD connected Video to to lead to blank screen during installation! Once we rule out most common causes, we can be sure we have not overlooked easily fixable problems.

CaseySJ, as I mentioned previously twice, I have already tried booting from the other "Install Mac OS" options. Install freezes after a minute with no mouse cursor.

I followed every recommended BIOS setting in the Installation Guide exactly. I'm using the Unibeast 9 version of Clover.

I just realized I have a Time Machine backup of Sierra from my old hackintosh. I might try restoring it just for the hell of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back