Contribute
Register

[help]black screen when uhd630 run with internal screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes thunderbolt display connects to UHD630, and is usable with nVidia disabled.

Since I updated my BIOS to FB07 I took a look at your UEFI settings for enabling Thunderbolt support. Problem is when I went to set them using setup_var I got an "error: offset is out of range" message. After looking into it a bit further I discovered that this BIOS has two Setup entries. Then I found a modified version of GRUB which will circumvent this error. Now I have run modGRUBShell.efi from UEFI Shell and set the values using setup_var_3 instead. Didn't appear to brick my laptop so that's a good sign :clap:
Code:
- "Thunderbolt Boot Support" set to 0x1 (Boot once)
setup_var_3 0x4EE 0x1
- "Titan Ridge workaround for OSUP" set to 0x1 (Enabled)
setup_var_3 0x513 0x1
- "Security Level" set to 0x0 (Disabled)
setup_var_3 0x4F3 0x0
- "SW SMI on TBT hot-plug" set to 0x1 (Enabled)
setup_var_3 0x4F5 0x1
- "Thunderbolt USB Support" set to 0x1 (Enabled)
setup_var_3 0x4ED 0x1

My Thunderbolt to mDP cable should be arriving tomorrow so I will be able to test it then.

Last edited:
Yes i did change the exact same UEFI values that you did. I also got this error message but the values were changed anyway! And i got thunderbolt boot working (without need to boot on windows first) with all ports working on my dock (Caldigit TS3+). The only thing that didn't work for me is hot plug but i didn't really care for my usage.
You'll tell me if you get it! I'll look at this modified Grub shell instead of the one i used if it avoids the error message. It should be better!

I tried to install Mojave Beta 7 friday but couldn't boot on it yet. I'll report once i can use it, if there is any change.

Also i tried again to use AptioMemoryFix (on my High Sierra install). And i realised that it seems to work in some way, as my brightness value, audio level, etc... are kept upon reboot. The only problem i have is that the laptop can't shutdown correctly. It stays black and sometimes goes in panic. Maybe there is a fix to try for this shutdown issue.
I tried to use the cleanNVram.efi provided in the package, i removed Clover RC Scripts. And VerifyMsrE2.efi shows unlocked MsrE2 and no error. Don't know if there is a way to log what's happening at shutdown. Do you have the same behavior?

Don't know if there is a way to log what's happening at shutdown. Do you have the same behavior?

I have been using AptioMemoryFix also and noticed that it appears to be partially working now. But I'm also having the same shutdown issue you mention although I never get a panic. You can turn on verbose output to see the log as it shuts down but I can't see anything out of the ordinary. The screen and keyboard lights turn off but it doesn't appear to make it all the way. Same thing with restarting.

After reading a bit about it, I tried "FixShutdown", but it didn't work. I heard USB ports can be an issue so I set the keyboard/webcam/bluetooth and card reader all to "Internal". Nothing seems to have helped so far.

Attachments

• USBPorts.png
    USBPorts.png
    415.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
I managed to install Mojave Beta 7.
Nothing has changed about the black screen.
Only i can now see the verbose output at shutdown (Under High Sierra the screen was going black too fast) Here is what i get:
ej54p6.jpg

Also Sound is not working anymore under Mojave with AppleALC but maybe i need to change Layout ID (i was using ID 3)

I managed to install Mojave Beta 7.
Nothing has changed about the black screen.
Only i can now see the verbose output at shutdown (Under High Sierra the screen was going black too fast) Here is what i get:
Also Sound is not working anymore under Mojave with AppleALC but maybe i need to change Layout ID (i was using ID 3)

I'm getting more debug output right at the end just before the screen goes off so I think I need to look at the log upon reboot to see if there's any additional info.

As for audio with AppleALC use Intel FB-Patcher and enable Patch->General->Audio and under Patch->Advanced set "Spoof SKL Audio". Set your audio id to 3 and File->Export->Clover config.plist. Also set config.plist/Devices/Audio/Inject=NO.

Attachments

• PatchAudio01.png
    PatchAudio01.png
    298.9 KB · Views: 143
  • PatchAudio02.png
    PatchAudio02.png
    378.1 KB · Views: 146
Yes it works for Audio with your method! Thanks a lot!

Yes it works for Audio with your method! Thanks a lot!

Thunderbolt 3 to mDP 4K @ 60 Hz is working great. Thanks for your help with that!

We both have the same issue and the same hardware so I don't see why it matters?

I would need clear/detailed, but concise description of the problem.
And complete PR files.
Your files are missing ioreg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back