Contribute
Register

[help]black screen when uhd630 run with internal screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I said "it works fine for me without it" I was referring to AppleBacklightInjector.kext. Right now I'm using the Kaby Lake value of 1388 which appears okay.

You will still need an appropriately coded AppleBacklightInjector.kext for the brightness data/steps.
Without it, you'll see "Default" in ioreg AppleBacklightPanelA, which generally does not work for complete brightness range.

Not surprising that 0x56c would be used as the same was used for Skylake/KabyLake.

You can get a full binary dump of the ig-platform-id data using the -igfxdump boot flag for WhateverGreen.

No CFL hardware here to test with.

Hopefully someone with a real Coffee Lake Mac can help us out. Either that or we can possibly find it by reversing AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer.

Yes.
Or by guessing just by looking at the brightness profiles added in AppleBacklight.kext Info.plist.

I tried to look at BIOS file and the functions we would need are implemented, just not accessible for us...

I have found another way to do this but it's pretty involved and can be quite dangerous. ie. I actually set "Fast Boot" to false and nearly couldn't boot my laptop again. But I'll give brief instructions here if you have the inclination to try it out.

1. Download the BIOS for your machine. If it's an .exe file you may be able to use 7zip to open it and extract the BIOS file. Eg. P65V810.B06
2. Download UEFITool and open the file
3. You need to find the PE32 section. To do this search for "Setup" and double click on a result that includes PE32. Right click on the PE32 section and select "Extract Body" to your desktop and call it Setup.bin
4. Download Universal-IFR-Extractor or Universal IFR Extractor.exe
5. Run "./ifrextract Setup.bin Setup.txt" using ifrextract or run Universal IFR Extractor.exe to extract Setup.bin
6. You can now use this text file to get the variable offsets for different settings
7. Download the modified GRUB Shell and extract bootx64.efi to a folder on your boot EFI partition (Eg. EFI/GRUB/bootx64.efi)
8. Boot into Clover and select "Start UEFI Shell 64" option
9. Run the following commands (assuming fs0: is your boot volume)
Code:
fs0:
.\EFI\GRUB\bootx64.efi
10. Now it should launch GRUB Shell and you can set the values found in the txt file earlier
Eg. To disable CFG Lock in my BIOS the command is:
Code:
setup_var 0x5BE 0x00

WARNING: variable offsets are unique not only to each motherboard but even to its firmware version. Never ever try to use an offset without checking.

Last edited:
I have found another way to do this but it's pretty involved and can be quite dangerous. ie. I actually set "Fast Boot" to false and nearly couldn't boot my laptop again. But I'll give brief instructions here if you have the inclination to try it out.

Thanks a lot! I'll take a look carefully as soon as i have some time and report here.

Also i'm following your work about Backlight values and for now using the SetIntelMaxBacklight / IntelMaxValue settings in Clover helped me getting it working with an apparent full range. I'll try to follow rehabman advice to use this value with Applebacklightinjector too, just to check if steps are better.

Also nothing found yet about the 5mins screen delay, nor the problem of black screen when an other screen is plugged before boot thru USB C.

1. Download the BIOS for your machine. If it's an .exe file you may be able to use 7zip to open it and extract the BIOS file. Eg. P65V810.B06
2. Download UEFITool and open the file
3. You need to find the PE32 section. To do this search for "Setup" and double click on a result that includes PE32. Right click on the PE32 section and select "Extract Body" to your desktop and call it Setup.bin
4. Download Universal-IFR-Extractor or Universal IFR Extractor.exe
5. Run "./ifrextract Setup.bin Setup.txt" using ifrextract or run Universal IFR Extractor.exe to extract Setup.bin
6. You can now use this text file to get the variable offsets for different settings
7. Download the modified GRUB Shell and extract bootx64.efi to a folder on your boot EFI partition (Eg. EFI/GRUB/bootx64.efi)
8. Boot into Clover and select "Start UEFI Shell 64" option
9. Run the following commands (assuming fs0: is your boot volume)
Code:
fs0:
.\EFI\GRUB\bootx64.efi
10. Now it should launch GRUB Shell and you can set the values found in the txt file earlier
Eg. To disable CFG Lock in my BIOS the command is:
Code:
setup_var 0x5BE 0x00

WARNING: variable offsets are unique not only to each motherboard but even to its firmware version. Never ever try to use an offset without checking.

I don't know why CFGLock unlocked is a requirement for AptioMemoryFix.efi. MSR 0xE2 is a CPUPM/macOS/OS X issue, and AptioMemoryFix.efi is a solution for memory map (seems to me to be different problems entirely).

I'm using AptioMemoryFix.efi just fine with several different systems with locked MSR 0xE2.
Patching the kernel with KernelPm=true fixes the macOS/OS X conflict with locked MSR 0xE2.

I'm using AptioMemoryFix.efi just fine with several different systems with locked MSR 0xE2.

Even with CFG Lock disabled AptioMemoryFix.efi still doesn't appear to work for my laptop. So still trying to figure out what's required to get it to work.

Also just a FYI WhateverGreen now includes built-in method for disabling EGPU. Just add disable-external-gpu property to IGPU with any value.

Eg.
Code:
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
    <key>Properties</key>
    <dict>
        <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
        <dict>
            <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
            <data>CQClPg==</data>
            <key>disable-external-gpu</key>
            <integer>1</integer>
        </dict>
    </dict>
</dict>

Also nothing found yet about the 5mins screen delay, nor the problem of black screen when an other screen is plugged before boot thru USB C.

I think we should try Mojave and see if it makes a difference.

Hi Headkaze,

Thanks to your method described on post 115, and taking the steps very carefully, i managed to get Thunderbolt working without the need to boot on Windows first. Still no hotplug support, but i can use my Thunderbolt dock directly in macOS now, which is a big step forward! Thanks
I've also set CFG Lock to 0x00 but no more luck with AptioMemoryFix. I am looking if there are other stuff to modify but i look very carefully before because i don't want to touch the BIOS too much.. From what i've seen Fast Boot and CSM are already disabled by default on BIOS FB06.

The parameters i changed to get Thunderbolt support although maybe not all are necessary (i followed a guide for Z370 motherboard):
-"Thunderbolt Boot Support" set to 0x01 (Boot once)
-"Titan Ridge workaround for OSUP" set to 0x01 (Enabled)
-"Security Level" set to 0x00 (Disabled)
-"SW SMI Hotplug" set to 0x1 (Enabled)
-"Thunderbolt USB Support" set to 0x01 (Enabled)
I don't give the vars i used on purpose because users should follow your method from beginning to check the vars carefully.

Just as an FIY, I followed most of the hard work done here and was able to get my Razer Blade 15 to work properly with UHD 630. I got 144hz butter smooth internal display now. Thank you all.

Did the brightness control get fixed? I downloaded your latest CLOVER.zip but I didn't see anything in particular in regards to that issue.

Also, is it possible to use the iGPU to drive another monitor over HDMI? Mine doesn't work at all at the moment.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back