Contribute
Register

[help]black screen when uhd630 run with internal screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would need clear/detailed, but concise description of the problem.
And complete PR files.
Your files are missing ioreg.

The problem is when we start macOS the internal screen will remain black for approx. 3 minutes before turning on. We can access via VNC during this time and nothing else seems out of the ordinary. neocoma504 thinks it might be related to backlight but I personally think it might be an issue related to Optimus. vit9696 had me try a bunch of different configurations to no avail. So at this point it may just be a compatibility issue.

The gen_debug.sh script launched IORegistryExplorer several times but I think it ultimately failed even though it stated a success. I will export the ioreg file manually and re-post it.

Hi,
Sorry i'll send my debug files and more infos tomorrow too.

What i can say is that i tried many things today:

-No more luck with AptioMemoryFix. I tried to change all Bios settings required (CFG Lock disabled, CSM disabled, Fast Boot disabled, VT-d disabled, SGX disabled, Above 4G enabled) i only couldn't change XHCI/EHCI Hand-Off values because the vars associated are very generic and therefore too dangerous to change with modified Grub i think.. By default XHCI Hand off is On and EHCI Hand Off is Off.
I ran VerifyMsrE2.efi, nothing seems wrong. Ran CleanNvram.efi and set PowerNap off. No change
I finally replaced back AptioMemoryFix by OsxAptioFixDrv because i was tired of having to shutdown with hard button. AptioMemoryFix seems to keep NVram values fine but avoid a proper shutdown for a reason i ignore.

-I tried to change some Bios System Agent Graphics settings like Primary Display (SG to IGPU), or ACPI ALS On. No Change. Reverted back.

-I updated DSDT.aml to ignore ACPI0008 Ambient Light Sensor, and also tried to create a fake ALS, as seen in Rehabman's Backlight Guide. No more luck

-I tried to use all known CoffeeLake platform-ids. No more luck. Went back to 3e9b0000.

-I was also annoyed because the black screen happened right after Clover selection screen, even before the Ramdisk message appears, so no verbose possible.. So i removed SetIntelMaxBacklight option in Clover. And first interesting thing, the verbose is now shown and the black screen only happens at the end of verbose. So i do think this is related to backlight, more than ever! :)
Second thing, even without this option, the backlight is functional and on apparent full max value when screen start!
Apparently we both had issue using AppleBacklightInjector.kext first, because the max value was too low. Even by using SSDT-RMCF and entering 0x56c for LMAX. And so using IntelSetMaxBacklight option helped us retrieve a good max value. But when it is recalled during boot, it creates the black screen issue. By removing the option the value is still kept anyway (as long as i don't use back AppleBacklightInjector).
I understand full backlight support would be better using AppleBacklightInjector, but for now i don't know how to set a correct max value with it.

-I also realised that, by removing Whatevergreen kext, the system sometimes boot without black screen issue at all and with backlight control working!
But sometimes only, not everytime, and i really don't understand why... This seems very random to me and i need to test more tomorrow to try to determine the exact case is fine.
I saw this fine start happen many times, on both my High Sierra and Mojave Beta 8 installs. Always on fresh start, not on reboot, and never with whatevergreen loaded. Maybe Whatevergeen is also loading a backlight value?

-Finally i have randomly boot issues like "kextd stalls", concerning IntelFramebuffer mostly, on Mojave Beta. Never on High Sierra.

That's all for today! :)

And first interesting thing, the verbose is now shown and the black screen only happens at the end of verbose. So i do think this is related to backlight, more than ever! :)

I did mention a while back that SetIntelMaxBacklight causes a black screen on boot which is a known bug in Clover. I'm still not convinced our issue is related to the backlight.

-I also realised that, by removing Whatevergreen kext, the system sometimes boot without black screen issue at all and with backlight control working!
But sometimes only, not everytime, and i really don't understand why... This seems very random to me and i need to test more tomorrow to try to determine the exact case is fine.

That's certainly interesting. Where do you keep your kexts? Lilu and its plugins should be in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and injected via Clover otherwise their behavior can be unpredictable (this is the official word by the author(s)). So remove them from S/L/E and L/E then run "sudo kextcache -i /" to rebuild your kext cache if needed.

Last edited:
did anyone noticed this condition,it will turn on backlight without 3min waiting a few turns everytime after I had run kext Utility to rebuild cache, anyone same as my condition?

I had tried boot without cache (active no cache option in cloverconfigtor system parameters), bug it didn't work follow my thought。 :)
my laptop is hasee ZX6-cp5s1 with I5-8400

Last edited:
did anyone noticed this condition,it will turn on backlight without 3min waiting a few turns everytime after I had run kext Utility to rebuild cache, anyone same as my condition?
my laptop is hasee ZX6-cp5s1 with I5-8400

I had a doubt but yes i think i have something close to that!

Hi everybody!

Here's my debug files and all kexts used.

This morning i reinstalled from scratch Mojave Beta 8 and Clover because i had some annoying random boot issues yesterday. I still have 1 or 2 but really not like before.
What i can say :
Everything seems working except this black screen issue. I still cannot figure out why it happens sometimes and sometimes not. Despite what i thought, this seems not related to Whatevergreen because i had some fine starts with it installed. Also i had some fine starts without rebuilding the kext cache just before. What seems to help having a fine start for me (without the 3 mins black screen)
-IntelSetMaxBacklight Disabled in Clover
-No AppleBacklightInjector.kext
-No reboot. Only after shutdown, wait at least 30 seconds and then boot again.
-Sometimes rebuild cache may help but not sure of that. Need more days to check
-Not changing the brightness value during last session.

Some other notes :
-For me Lilu, Whatevergreen and AppleALC load correctly only if installed if L/E. When they are in Clover Kext/Others they don't seem to load (for example Audio is never working in this case and i can't see these kexts in SysInfos>Extensions. I tried to add -lilubetaall as boot arguments for Mojave support, and Clover>Kext Inject=YES without change. So i installed all my kexts in L/E (Except the BRCMPatchRam kexts in S/L/E as expected)
-Still no way to have AptioMemoryFix properly working. As before i cannot shutdown correctly. I am stuck at this verbose screen :
5409vs.jpg

Right now i am using OsxAptioFixDrv without any visible issues.
-Sleep is not working, the laptop just awake right after beginning sleep.

Attachments

• debug_22955.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • Pmset Assertions.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Kexts.zip
    4 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Hi everybody!

Here's my debug files and all kexts used.

This morning i reinstalled from scratch Mojave Beta 8 and Clover because i had some annoying random boot issues yesterday. I still have 1 or 2 but really not like before.
What i can say :
Everything seems working except this black screen issue. I still cannot figure out why it happens sometimes and sometimes not. Despite what i thought, this seems not related to Whatevergreen because i had some fine starts with it installed. Also i had some fine starts without rebuilding the kext cache just before. What seems to help having a fine start for me (without the 3 mins black screen)
-IntelSetMaxBacklight Disabled in Clover
-No AppleBacklightInjector.kext
-No reboot. Only after shutdown, wait at least 30 seconds and then boot again.
-Sometimes rebuild cache may help but not sure of that. Need more days to check
-Not changing the brightness value during last session.

Some other notes :
-For me Lilu, Whatevergreen and AppleALC load correctly only if installed if L/E. When they are in Clover Kext/Others they don't seem to load (for example Audio is never working in this case and i can't see these kexts in SysInfos>Extensions. I tried to add -lilubetaall as boot arguments for Mojave support, and Clover>Kext Inject=YES without change. So i installed all my kexts in L/E (Except the BRCMPatchRam kexts in S/L/E as expected)
-Still no way to have AptioMemoryFix properly working. As before i cannot shutdown correctly. I am stuck at this verbose screen :
5409vs.jpg

Right now i am using OsxAptioFixDrv without any visible issues.
-Sleep is not working, the laptop just awake right after beginning sleep.

For brightness control, see guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

Hi everyone,
I have a laptop Acer Nitro 515-52
i5-8300H
HM370
UHD630 + Nvidia 1050Ti
Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD
HighSierra 10.13.6 (17G2208)

I was following this thread and would like to share my experience.

I am facing this boot to black screen issue as well, though using a white wallpaper I can see the login screen using flashlight, and able to login.
Even after logging in, it takes a while, more than 5 minutes. Then the brightness gets back to the last set value.

To enable brightness:
1) I tried Rehabman's guide, using ssdt_pnlf, AppleBacklightInjector.kext and the clover patch.
It works but the max brightness is very low, I know that I need to check the framebuffer for PWMMax value but I am unable to get this value.

2) I removed the AppleBacklightInjector kext and disabled the patch, but kept the SSDT_PNLF in the patched folder, with this I get full brightness due to the AppleBacklight kext.

3) Then I tried by removing the SSDT_PNLF as well and ticked Add_PNLF in clover, this also allows me to use the brightness with full max value.

4) Using the SetIntelBacklight as mentioned by headkaze, I was unable to get brightness control working.

Brightness value persists across reboots, the only problem being 5+ minutes of very low backlight, which seems like black screen.

I tried with mojave beta 4 as well but the black screen problem still persists.

I have attached the whatevergreen igfxdump as well. I am unable to get the PWMmax value from it.

Attachments

• debug_17948.zip
    3 MB · Views: 57
  • AppleIntelFramebuffer_10_17.7.zip
    787.5 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back