Contribute
Register

[HELP]: ALC295 no sound through headphones with AppleALC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, but I am very embarrassed to admit that I do not have a background in this.

I tried to redo the pathmap with verbit.sh and codecverb/graphviz. I noticed an uncanny similarity between ALC256 and ALC295 .

Also, I found this link. It says that ALC25X and ALC29X are from the same family.
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/gfx-docs/drm/sound/hd-audio/models.html

So would a custom made AppleHDA for ALC256 work with ALC295? Also, do you have such a file?

If the nodes have the same indexes, you could use/try SSDT-ALC256 and see what happens.

Look into ALCPlugFix.

Can confirm this works with no additional commands on my end. Attaching ZIP for posterity. Be sure to run "install.command" upon download.

Per a post in this thread: "Note: If the headset does not sound, you can open the terminal input: hda-verb 0x19 0x707 0x20"

Attachments

• ALCPlugFix.zip
    11.9 KB · Views: 318
Can confirm this works with no additional commands on my end. Attaching ZIP for posterity. Be sure to run "install.command" upon download.

Per a post in this thread: "Note: If the headset does not sound, you can open the terminal input: hda-verb 0x19 0x707 0x20"
Thanks @ShortFormErnie . It is working. Finally I have some audio from the headphones.

Now, the question is, how do I make this permanent ? I have tried editing CodecCommander to include a new Codec Profile ALC295 entry. (Attached with this post.) But it is not working automatically. I have to resort to manually run the
Code:
hda-verb 0x19 0x707 0x20
command from the terminal the first time I plug in the headphones after every reboot.

Attachments

• CodecCommander_ALC295.zip
    32.8 KB · Views: 150
Spoke too soon!

Although it seems that the hda_verb command fixed the headphones issues. Now I have another issue.

The internal Mic was working perfectly, now it shows up as Internal Speakers , with no Volume meter no ambient noise control, and no mic like functionality in general.

[UPDATE] Solved this issue by downgrading AppleALC to 1.2.7.

But how do I make the manual hda-verb command stick. I have added a Codec Profile in Codec Commander, but it won't help.

Last edited:
I tried using AppleALC 1.2.8 as well as 1.3..

@aylamrin,

AppleALC ver 1.2.8 was a stepping stone to ver 1.3.0 to test the layout-id re-mapping code ...

Both of those versions re-map the layout-id from your DSDT (or Clover Injected) to another layout that is compatible with MacOS 10.14.x .. for example ... You Inject layout-id 3 via clover ... AppleALC will re-map it to layout-id 7 and modify the HDA resources to suit. This is because MacOS 10.14.x no longer supports Layout ID's 3,13 & 28 (maybe others). Its a clever approach to negate the missing layout's but it's still very much work in progress and both 1.2.8 and 1.3.0 have issues with certain audio codec's such as the ALC292 & ALC295.

Solved this issue by downgrading AppleALC to 1.2.7

AppleALC Ver 1.2.7 was the last version to support direct layout injection ... IE it uses the layout-id specified in your DSDT or Clover Injection and is very stable with all supported codec's.

Hopefully by the time MacOS 10.14.X is officially released in September the AppleALC devs will have a fully working solution for all currently supported codec's. If you want to help them use the HDA debug tool linked to in reporting note 5 (while running AppleALC 1.2.7) in the AppleALC support thread and then create a new post in that same thread with your finings along with the generated debug info.plist.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Thanks @jaymonkey .

That was very informative ! I will try to contribute as much as a I can with my limited knowledge.

Do you know of a way to make a hda-verb command run during boot? I mean I can type in the terminal as and when the need arises, but I'd love to have something that is "autorun" during boot.

[OFFTOPIC]:

Planning to get a DW1830. Would you say that you are happy with the performance of DW1830 over DW1560? Also, how do you decide which of the existing cables (white and gray) go to J0 and J1. How to route the 3rd cable?

Do you know of a way to make a hda-verb command run during boot? I mean I can type in the terminal as and when the need arises, but I'd love to have something that is "autorun" during boot.

One way of doing it is to create compiled Apple Script that executes the shell command and add it to your login items ... its very easy to do .. just use the MacOS Script Editor ... you can test the code within the editor, once its working as you want save the script as a compiled .app and add it to your login items in Sys Prefs -> Users -> Login Items.

Anther way of doing it is to create a custom Launch Daemon ... again not difficult .. here is one example
Planning to get a DW1830. Would you say that you are happy with the performance of DW1830 over DW1560? Also, how do you decide which of the existing cables (white and gray) go to J0 and J1. How to route the 3rd cable?

I found the DW1560 (BCM94352Z) worked well in MacOS for WiFi but BT was very problematic, it also would cause Windows 10 to BlueScreen if i used the WiFi ... it was a total PIA. Since swapping it out for a DW1830 I have had no problems at all with WiFi and BT in all OS's ... the DW1830 supports BT LE 4.1 and uses the BCM20450 Bluetooth chipset which is natively supported in MacOS thus Hand-OfF and Continuity features work with out any issues.

See my post here for more info on DW1830 .... most of that post is background info and experimentation to get it to show up on the PCI bus (you may not have the same problem). For software install use the method mentioned in Update-2 at the bottom of that post. You don't need worry about the order of the antenna's just connect the existing two antenna's to ports 1 & 2, do not run the card with out a third antenna connected as you'll burn out the radio amplifier .. see my post here for more info.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks @jaymonkey ! Awesome!

I think it would take me a while before I finish reading and comprehend everything.

Then I would actually have to order the card, and fit it in the slot, and try and test, the whole 9 yards.

If I get stuck, then I might trouble you !

@aylamrin,

You should not need to use Codec Commander anymore .. as of version 1.2.5 and onwards AppleALC takes care of the EAPD wake verbs for supported codec's (ALC295 is supported) try removing the CodecCommander kext as it my be clashing with AppleALC. Just use AppleALC ver 1.2.7 and inject your preferred layout-id via Clover (Only id's 3,13 & 28 are valid for ALC295).

Excerpt form ALC295 info.plsit in AppleALC source code:-

Code:
    <key>Author</key>
    <string>Vandroiy</string>
    <key>CodecID</key>
    <integer>661</integer>
    <key>CodecName</key>
    <string>ALC295</string>
    <key>Files</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Layouts</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Mirone - Realtek ALC295/ALC3254</string>
                <key>Id</key>
                <integer>3</integer>
                <key>Path</key>
                <string>layout3.xml.zlib</string>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>DalianSky - Realtek ALC295/ALC3254 Dell7570</string>
                <key>Id</key>
                <integer>13</integer>
                <key>Path</key>
                <string>layout13.xml.zlib</string>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>vusun123 - ALC 295 for Skylake HP Pavilion</string>
                <key>Id</key>
                <integer>28</integer>
                <key>Path</key>
                <string>layout28.xml.zlib</string>
            </dict>
        </array>
Layout-id 13 appears to be Dell specific but you could try 3 (which is what i use) and 28

Jay

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back