Contribute
Register

[HELP]: ALC295 no sound through headphones with AppleALC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your confusion with layout-id is caused by trickery going on inside of AppleALC.kext.
Right! I removed the AppleALC, then it was showing the correct layout-id of 0xD. Of course the sound would not work without AppleALC then.

Next, I modified the AppleALC to remove all layouts and keep only the ALC295 with layout-id 13 in the Info.plist.
I put it bank in Clover/kexts/Other. Sound is back, and so is the wrong default value of "07". So I guess it must be the binary inside the AppleALC that is setting it this way?

Should I try to add my layout id inside AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext? But I do not know how to patch the layout and Platform xml.plist ...

Also, would you like to have a look at my codec dump? I have attached it here.

As per DELL tech specs:
https://www.dell.com/en-in/shop/cty/pdp/spd/inspiron-13-5370-laptop

1x combo headphone / microphone jack

So essentially, there is:
  • Internal speakers
  • Internal Mic
  • Headphone jack

I am not sure if the headphone could be repurposed as a Mic in.

But at the moment, it recognizes Headphones and iPhone Headset as "Headphones" and makes no distinction. One more area, where it does not make any distinction is that in both the cases there is no audio through the plugged in headphones/headset.
This is where I could use some help.

There is perfect audio through Internal speakers when unplugged. Internal Mic is working with ambient noise reduction.

Attachments

• codec#0.txt
    10.2 KB · Views: 164
Sound is back, and so is the wrong default value of "07". So I guess it must be the binary inside the AppleALC that is setting it this way?

Yes.
Review/read the AppleALC source code and you'll see.

Yes.
Review/read the AppleALC source code and you'll see.
Thanks, but I am very embarrassed to admit that I do not have a background in this.

I tried to redo the pathmap with verbit.sh and codecverb/graphviz. I noticed an uncanny similarity between ALC256 and ALC295 .

Also, I found this link. It says that ALC25X and ALC29X are from the same family.
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/gfx-docs/drm/sound/hd-audio/models.html

So would a custom made AppleHDA for ALC256 work with ALC295? Also, do you have such a file?

Would it help if I were to attach the AppleALC/Lilu debug logs ?

I can confirm ALC295 with id=3 (either AppleHDAPatcher or AppleALC) will not have sound coming out but device recognized. I have high CPU temp issue when running AppleALC with id =13 and 28. Will you?

Also tested that AppleALC aren't able to recognize headphones when plugged in.

I use AppleALC on my end, currently using layout 3. I have speakers and headphones working, but headset mic doesn't work plugged in. Watching this thread in case any revelations surface.

For DELL users, using layout-id 3 perhaps won't help. It makes the devices visible in Sys Prefs, but actual output is only through 13 or 28 only .

@twsps, my CPU temp as per iStat Menus hovers around 38-41 ºC .

[UPDATE]: I tried forcing apple-layout-id from 1 to 0x0F, with some layout ids (mostly even ones) fail to display anything in System Preferences. With others , I get the same result, i.e. sound through Internal Speakers, no sound through Headphones.

@RehabMan , could you help me troubleshoot this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back