Contribute
Register

Hector (H97N-WIFI / i5-4690 / 16GB RAM) with New Gigabyte 750 TI 2GB Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 1: The HD 4600
Stork
, I did everything as per your first guide to get the HD 4600 working, EACH AND EVERY SINGLE STEP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...600-chimera-multibeast-method.html#post925481

The install went through smoothly without any Kernel Panics at all.
It worked perfectly on first boot too. The system booted up with full acceleration QE/CI on the HD 4600 (OS X detected the card and the VRAM correctly, loaded everything and all). Except for some slight graphical choppiness while transitioning from the login screen to the desktop, everything else was fine. I even had transparency on the menu bar, side bar etc. At this point I didn't require any bootflags and I had only the Macintosh HD plugged in.
Good. Well, that's progress.

Part 2: THE GTX 750 Ti
Trouble started when I installed the ASUS GTX 750 Ti PH 2GB DDR5 and the latest Web Drivers exactly as per the steps detailed in http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...am-new-gigabyte-750-ti-2gb-graphics-card.html

The only positive difference this time compared to my previous attempts was that when I opened NVIDIA Driver Manager in System Preferences, the ECC tab showed that my GTX 750 Ti was connected although ECC was unsupported for it (this even when I wasn't using the GTX 750 Ti and booted up with my on-board graphics. I had to do so because the GTX 750 Ti would result in absent HDMI output as you'll see me mention below, so booting with on-board graphics was my only option). In all my previous attempts, the ECC tab used to show all slots as empty.

Now, more about the problem I'm facing - Everytime I boot up with the HDMI cable connected to the GTX 750 Ti and nvda_drv=1, my screen goes black after the Apple boot logo - no HDMI output it says. This is a problem that existed even before and it is not going away. This is the same problem that a lot of people with Gigabyte and ASUS cards for the GTX 750 Ti are complaining about. Only the Palit cards seem to be giving no trouble at all. You are one of the few who has managed to get the Gigabyte card working.
My ECC shows the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that the early 750 Ti's might have problems because I have no explanation for why my Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti is working with four monitors (2-DVIs & 2-HDMIs), and you and other folks are not having any luck with your HDMI connection, especially if it works in Windoze. Did I ask/you tell me you're using the latest VBIOS?

Currently, I'm using one DVI and one HDMI to connect to two monitors, both at 1920x1200 resolution.
116473-ga-gtx-750-ti-sys-specs.png

Part 3: GIVING UP ON THE 750 Ti and just wanting to boot normally with the HD 4600
Frustrated with all these attempts to get the 750 Ti working, I decided to plug in all my other drives (so that I could boot into Windows 8.1) and connect to the on-board graphics.
However, after this, Yosemite started getting stuck during boot - verbose boot initially indicated something related to the NTFS drives that I had just plugged in, then related to the Bluetooth Controller and finally a bug in process suhelperd. Keeps cycling between these randomly although the NTFS issue seems to have largely disappeared after I booted once into Windows 8.1.

Right now even with Init Graphics in BIOS pointing to IGFX and with Intel Graphics enabled in it, the only way I'm able to boot into OS X is in Safe Mode and with nvda_drv=0 (obviously) which is a completely sucky, laggy experience. I'm not able to boot in normal mode even with the HD 4600 which I initially was able to do. 'About This Mac' isn't detecting any card, all it shows is 3 MB worth of Graphics.

CONCLUSION
I'm completely lost as to what is going wrong with my Hackintosh. Why am I not able to get the 750 Ti running like you? I followed each and every step you mentioned in the guides. Do you think it is an issue with the ASUS card and that I'll never ever be able to get it running with Hackintosh?

Also, how do I fix my Hackintosh for now and get it booting normally at least with the HD 4600?
Here's what I'd do for running HD4600 in Yosemite given your 750 Ti's problem with the HDMI connector.
- Boot into the Yosemite Desktop using HD4600;
- In the Menu bar, click on the nVidia (or in the Sys Pref pane), select "OS X Default Graphics Driver";
- Remove the "nvda_drv=1" from the Kernel Flags setting in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file;
- Shutdown;
- Re-connect the HDMI cable from the 750 Ti card to the motherboard;
- Reboot using the HD4600.​
This is more permanent way to use OS X. Otherwise, you're stuck boot with HD4600 using the "nvidia-disable=1" at boot time with the nVidia Drive Manager using the OS X graphics drivers. Dunno what else to do to help you. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good. Well, that's progress.

My ECC shows the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that the early 750 Ti's might have problems because I have no explanation for why my Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti is working with four monitors (2-DVIs & 2-HDMIs), and you and other folks are not having any luck with your HDMI connection, especially if it works in Windoze. Did I ask/you tell me you're using the latest VBIOS?

My card says that it is running the latest VBIOS which is 82.07.25.00.AS11 (as per the ASUS GPU Tweak Tool) or 82.07.25.13 (as per GPU-Z). Do card vendors release VBIOS updates often?

Dunno what else to do to help you. Sorry 'bout that.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Also, with reference to,
However, after this, Yosemite started getting stuck during boot - verbose boot initially indicated something related to the NTFS drives that I had just plugged in, then related to the Bluetooth Controller and finally a bug in process suhelperd.

Well now, with the GTX 750 Ti in the PCIe slot and the HDMI cable connected to the Monitor and BIOS set to on-board graphics,
with the boot flags nv_disable=1 nvda_drv=0,
verbose boot gets stuck at Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport.

What is Bluetooth Controller Transport?

A lot of people are reporting that the EVGA 750 Ti works perfectly with Yosemite.

I'm not from the technology field. Can somebody explain why the EVGA version works but the ASUS one doesn't? It has the same NVIDIA chip, so why the differing outcomes?

Looking for a technical explanation in layman's words if possible.

Understanding this could probably hold the solution to getting the ASUS 750 Ti working, right?

A lot of people are reporting that the EVGA 750 Ti (and the Palit one) work perfectly with Yosemite.

I'm not from the technology field. Can somebody explain why the EVGA version works but the ASUS one doesn't? It has the same NVIDIA chip, so why the differing outcomes?

Looking for a technical explanation in layman's words if possible.

Understanding this could probably hold the solution to getting the ASUS 750 Ti working, right?

im no expert either, but the problem could possibly be because of the bios on the other ones?? i dont really know either!

I'm no expert either. If I had to guess, I'd bet that a different framebuffer is needed for the ASUS card. But, I haven't a clue how to go down that road.

I looked at the EVGA series of GTX 750 Ti cards as we've had good luck with EVGA graphics cards - I have two EVGA 650 Ti cards. But the EVGA GTX 750 Ti cards only had one DVI connector, and I needed two.

I'm no expert either. If I had to guess, I'd bet that a different framebuffer is needed for the ASUS card. But, I haven't a clue how to go down that road.

Is there any way we could bring this to the notice of tonymacx86, MacMan and the others who might know how to go down that road?

Maybe if its brought to their notice, that such a problem exists, they could think up a solution that could save us poor folks who are stuck with an ASUS GTX 750Ti? :( If only I'd known sooner, I'd have spent my savings on a Palit/EVGA instead :(

Stork, with reference to your post,

check out this post.

This guy, derat, is facing the same issues even though his VBIOS is 82.07.32.00.xx (a version similar to yours).

The common denominator seems to be ASUS. This issue is probably ASUS-specific. Something about their VBIOS for all their cards is different from the Gigabyte counterparts of the corresponding VBIOS'. Maybe it's the framebuffer as you pointed out.

I have attached the VBIOS of my ASUS card in this post. Can you upload your Gigabyte VBIOS, Stork?

I just hope somebody who understands this BIOS stuff looks at this post and analyses the two VBIOS' :/

Attachments

• ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB DDR5 PH Series VBIOS 82.07.25.00.AS11 or 82.07.25.00.13.zip
    126.7 KB · Views: 125

check out this post.

This guy, derat, is facing the same issues even though his VBIOS is 82.07.32.00.xx (a version similar to yours).

The common denominator seems to be ASUS. This issue is probably ASUS-specific. Something about their VBIOS for all their cards is different from the Gigabyte counterparts of the corresponding VBIOS'. Maybe it's the framebuffer as you pointed out.

I have attached the VBIOS of my ASUS card in this post. Can you upload your Gigabyte VBIOS, Stork?

I just hope somebody who understands this BIOS stuff looks at this post and analyses the two VBIOS' :/

i have the same problem as you, but with i think the same card as stork!

also i think gigabyte have multiple revisions of their card?? maybe stork has a different one to me?

EDIT:
Stork! I think i got it! Your card is this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4984#ov My card is this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4948#ov

yours is faster i think and probs has a different bios? or something! that is why mine doesnt work!

But i still dont know why mine or the asus or any others dont work.....

EDIT 2:
Anyone know how to upgrade your vbios on the gigabyte one in windows? or at least find out which one i am on?

EDIT 3:
my card is 2gb but still says 2989mb or something like that!??!?

check out this post.

Doctor, I saw that post earlier and responded after showing it to tonymacx86. We think it might be because the ASUS card deviates from the nVidia Reference Card with which is the standard that Apple writes it's drivers.

However, I still can't explain the difference in the Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti models where mine works like a Champ, and Gershy can't get his Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti card's HDMI to work with Yo and the nVidia web drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back