Contribute
Register

HD 4000 - green screen with iTunes movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't suppose anyone has tried 11.1 and itunes movies, would be great if someone already on 10.8.5 could check!!

Thanks! Shame nothing has changed though.

I think this has to do with iTunes trying to use hardware acceleration. It appears hardware acceleration is kinda messed up with some certain system defs.

Outputting from the HD4000 "should work". My theory for the graphics cards is that unless you have the exact card that matches something Apple sells, it isn't going to work because of HDCP.

I received a message from iTunes informing me that my monitor did not support HDCP hence anything that is protected video will not play on the local monitor. As mentioned earlier, Airplay to a AppleTV works fine, because the HDMI out on the AppleTV supports HDCP as do almost all monitors with HDMI inputs.

Outputting from the HD4000 "should work". My theory for the graphics cards is that unless you have the exact card that matches something Apple sells, it isn't going to work because of HDCP.

I received a message from iTunes informing me that my monitor did not support HDCP hence anything that is protected video will not play on the local monitor. As mentioned earlier, Airplay to a AppleTV works fine, because the HDMI out on the AppleTV supports HDCP as do almost all monitors with HDMI inputs.

and almost certainly the same hardware running windows and using iTunes from Windows will work absolutely fine.

As wildwillows experiments seem to show, as iTunes versions have progressed in recent years/months hackintosh machines have been progressively locked out from Movie content. I gave in and bought an Apple TV and airplay my content, as I would rather do that than install Windows and use iTunes from Win 7.

Im not computer genius by any stretch, but wouldn't it possible to see the kext or issue at hand if you compared the last known iTunes version working and the current ones and see what differences in code or kexts are available? That would help narrrow down the culprit.

Then maybe create a hack/modified version of the latest itunes with the necessary file to make itunes movies work incorporated into the latest itunes?

Unfortuantely all this takes time so I can understand peoples reluctance to find the problem. That and not many people are programmers to figure it out.

For example, lets say itunes have 4 files and theres A and B versions with C the modified version. (for easy explanation sake), Itunes C V1 contains 3/4 files of version A and other from B. Dosent work. Next V2 will contain 2 files from A, 2 from B and test. Wont work.

Its a bit of a probability game but is this one approach?

Im not computer genius by any stretch, but wouldn't it possible to see the kext or issue at hand if you compared the last known iTunes version working and the current ones and see what differences in code or kexts are available? That would help narrrow down the culprit.

Then maybe create a hack/modified version of the latest itunes with the necessary file to make itunes movies work incorporated into the latest itunes?

Unfortuantely all this takes time so I can understand peoples reluctance to find the problem. That and not many people are programmers to figure it out.

For example, lets say itunes have 4 files and theres A and B versions with C the modified version. (for easy explanation sake), Itunes C V1 contains 3/4 files of version A and other from B. Dosent work. Next V2 will contain 2 files from A, 2 from B and test. Wont work.

Its a bit of a probability game but is this one approach?

I spent a couple of days editing plists for different kexts (as mentioned in the thread) without joy. :( Of course that doesn't mean it can't be solved.

Personally I think it looks like an issue we are pretty much stuck with, especially if you want to run the latest versions of the OS as iTunes is really going only in one direction and that seems to be more DRM with tighter exclusions. So even if you do find a work around it will probably change again on the next point update.

Taking everything into account I don't begrudge Apple the extra business I give them by buying an Apple TV. For me that was a better compromise than using Windows in my home.

Ive got a apple tv (not here on campus) at home. Does that mean my movies will stream fine from the hackintosh to the tv then?

Yes, that works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back