Contribute
Register

HD 4000 - green screen with iTunes movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if at some point with an iTunes upgrade iTunes also added some sort of tag to purchased videos, so that even when downgrading itunes, any purchased content that was present is then permanently seen as protected.

I do recall that when I was using my 7 series board with a 6 series processor some time ago (cannot remember the iTunes or ML version) I could play all iTunes content correctly EXCEPT HD content (which gave me the green screen). Also at that time, again if my recollection is correct, after I added my 660 GTX I could then play all content.

Unfortunately I cannot check the situation with my GTX 660 right now as my z77 build is back inside a Apple Cube case and so a discrete card can't be tested.

This won't work as Stork's Thunderball Build is 7 series with discrete graphics, still a black screen.

EDIT: Unless without loading the the HD4000 as if it only has discrete graphics may be worth a try.
In the morning I will try my discrete graphics. Now how would I go about not loading the HD4000.

I'll set it to initial first display PEG.

So, a fresh 10.8.2 does not work (with default 10.6.3 iTunes or downgraded nor updated versions), but as Wildwillow stated, when he upgraded from 10.8.1 (and from 10.8 even before) ML 10.8.2 did work! That leads me to think that in 10.8.1 or 10.8 there was something that still remains if you use combo update, but not if you do a fresh install of 10.8.2 or later. I guess toleda is near something in his post #39. Unfortunately I don't have a 10.8 or 10.8.1 installer anymore, so I can't test it. It would be helpful having IOReg of those two fresh version... anybody?

So, a fresh 10.8.2 does not work (with default 10.6.3 iTunes or downgraded nor updated versions), but as Wildwillow stated, when he upgraded from 10.8.1 (and from 10.8 even before) ML 10.8.2 did work! That leads me to think that in 10.8.1 or 10.8 there was something that still remains if you use combo update, but not if you do a fresh install of 10.8.2 or later. I guess toleda is near something in his post #39. Unfortunately I don't have a 10.8 or 10.8.1 installer anymore, so I can't test it. It would be helpful having IOReg of those two fresh version... anybody?

I will upload 10.8 with original iTunes Z77 HD4000 IOReg for this tomorrow, including just update install DMG IOReg for 10.8.1, 10.8.2, 10.8.3. (Not Fresh Installs) to a point that iTunes no longer plays bought content. Leaving out supplemental updates.

I am pretty sure that this will result in toleda's and minihack's findings about the Gen7Accelerator and IntelAcceleraror.

Reason for result this is still an original 10.8 updated to 10.8.4 installation.

Ok I have been through a series of tests. These are the results of a clean install from 10.8.0 as I mentioned in my last post. All I did was use the Combo Update DMG's, enabled audio each time and I was able to watch iTunes bought content/trailers without any problems with either Accelerator installed through to 10.8.4 except for iTunes 11.0.4. Results show that looking at the IOReg for solutions it didn't seem to matter which Accelerator were loaded. It is the iTunes build that is the problem. All tests were in 64bit mode
iTunes Test

Test OS X Build Accelerator iTunes Build Working
1 10.8.0 Gen7 10.6.3 Yes
2 10.8.1 Gen7 10.6.3 Yes
3 10.8.2 Gen7 10.6.3 Yes
4 10.8.3 Intel 10.6.3 Yes
5 10.8.4 Intel 10.6.3 Yes
5(A) 10.8.4 Intel 10.7 Yes
5(B) 10.8.4 Intel 11.0.4 No

Summary of todays findings is if you want to watch iTunes content you can update from 10.8.0 to 10.8.4 but update iTunes as far as 10.7 on 7 series boards.

EDIT: Also tried using a discrete card and it poses the same situation.

I have attached all the IOReg's for each test.

Attachments

• IOReg Test.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 90
Ok I have been through a series of tests. These are the results of a clean install from 10.8.0 as I mentioned in my last post. All I did was use the Combo Update DMG's, enabled audio each time and I was able to watch iTunes bought content/trailers without any problems with either Accelerator installed through to 10.8.4 except for iTunes 11.0.4. Results show that looking at the IOReg for solutions it didn't seem to matter which Accelerator were loaded. It is the iTunes build that is the problem. All tests were in 64bit mode
iTunes Test

Test OS X Build Accelerator iTunes Build Working
1 10.8.0 Gen7 10.6.3 Yes
2 10.8.1 Gen7 10.6.3 Yes
3 10.8.2 Gen7 10.6.3 Yes
4 10.8.3 Intel 10.6.3 Yes
5 10.8.4 Intel 10.6.3 Yes
5(A) 10.8.4 Intel 10.7 Yes
5(B) 10.8.4 Intel 11.0.4 No

Summary of todays findings is if you want to watch iTunes content you can update from 10.8.0 to 10.8.4 but update iTunes as far as 10.7 on 7 series boards.

I have attached all the IOReg's for each test.

Very comprehensive WildWillow - and thank you. I guess for the moment that puts this issue to bed and we should all be VERY wary of accepting iTunes updates.

Very comprehensive WildWillow - and thank you. I guess for the moment that puts this issue to bed and we should all be VERY wary of accepting iTunes updates.

I put this to bed a while ago until you brought it back up again:crazy::p. Well at least there is solution in terms of playing content. Just buy a small SSD, Leave that drive with earlier version of iTunes. Then the movie days can return.

Well done. If convenient, attach the console log showing the iTunes error for Case 5B.

Well done. If convenient, attach the console log showing the iTunes error for Case 5B.

I have attached the console log with the iTunes errors for Case 5B. I replicated the error just before sending so it will be easier to find.

Attachments

• All Messages.log.zip
    59.1 KB · Views: 70
I have attached the console log with the iTunes errors for Case 5B. I replicated the error just before sending so it will be easier to find.
All I see is:
iTunesHelper Exited with code: 1
Stopping AirPlay (means Quit iTunes)

All I see is:
iTunesHelper Exited with code: 1
Stopping AirPlay (means Quit iTunes)

I have attached another that I let play for a while longer, This movie had sound and progress and the others did not so there wasn't an error. Sorry the delay

Attachments

• itunes error.log.zip
    33.2 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back