Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Finally bought a HP 6300 pro complete system with monitor 8GB, i5-3470, 120 GB SSD for $150!

Tried boot USB with UEFI However, the HP 6300 does not see the USB as UEFI, it sees the drive as legacy. So I created another USB with legacy, It was able to see the drive, but it hangs when booting up. What did I do wrong?

BTW, I have flashed to latest 3.07 BIOS, tried different USB ports, Windows recovery USB was recognized as UEFI device no problem.

I'm pretty savvy with computers (used to build custom 3D workstations at work), but new to this.

Help!

Thanks

Last edited:
Please read and comply with the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.
Link to profile

Ok, fixed part of the problem. Novice mistake, a little rusty.

So as part of the Disk Utility, I needed to (the part that was missing in some of the guide)

Select View -> Show All Devices
Then Select the drive, not the volume, or you won't be able to select Scheme dropdown.
Scheme has to set to "GUID Partition Map"

Now I'm able to see and boot from USB.

However now after select my USB drive, it starts but reboots after a few minutes.

The journey continues...

Solved it!

I've turned on Verbose mode to see the error, I see

Error allocating 0xa00 pages at 0x0000000000a0000alloc type 2

With some Google search and a hunch, I reset the BIOS to default setting, then re-applied the recommend BIOS settings and nothing else, not changing boot order, nothing.

It boots up ok

Hope this helps people who had similar trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back