Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

I'm seeking the advice of the Pro in this forum:

I'm planning to build a dual boot PC/(Windows 8/ OSX Mavericks)

I will use the PC until the haswell support is released and then install OSX.

The build as follows:

1.Fractal Design Define R4 case.

2.GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC WINDFORCE

3.PSU:
Seasonic ATX12V / EPS12V 760 Power Supply SS-760XP

4.CPU Cooler:
Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i

5.HDD:
Western Digital Bare Drives 3TB WD Black SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM

6.RAM:
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600

7.SSD:
Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256

8.WiFi Adapter: TP Link Wireless PCI Express N900

9.CPU:
Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core

10.Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H Z87

Is it possible to run OSX and Windows 8 from the same SSD?

I await your recommendation and advice.

Thank you

Hello,

I'm seeking the advice of the Pro in this forum:

I'm planning to build a dual boot PC/(Windows 8/ OSX Mavericks)

I will use the PC until the haswell support is released and then install OSX.

Is it possible to run OSX and Windows 8 from the same SSD?

Since you seem to be aware that Haswell is not supported yet, I will answer the last question - yes, you can install both on the same SSD IF you make sure to format the drive properly and do not allow the Win8 installer to install UEFI.
I really don't recommend it. Install Win8 non-UEFI on your first SSD and buy another one for OS X later.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Thank you, I'll do that.

What do you think about the components?

Thank you, I'll do that.

What do you think about the components?

Assuming OS X will run on the Z87 platform at all the rest of the build looks OK.

My personal preference is for air cooling on the CPU - bad early experience with liquid cooling, and the fans on the radiators are usually too loud for my tastes. I would rather use the best air cooler I can find that will fit. Currently have a Megahalems and a Noctua NH-D14.

Since you seem to be aware that Haswell is not supported yet, I will answer the last question - yes, you can install both on the same SSD IF you make sure to format the drive properly and do not allow the Win8 installer to install UEFI.
I really don't recommend it. Install Win8 non-UEFI on your first SSD and buy another one for OS X later.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

But if he will divide the ssd to two partitions he should be able to install windows and OS X without a problem right?

But if he will divide the ssd to two partitions he should be able to install windows and OS X without a problem right?
Certainly if he's interested in ongoing Grief!

Yes, he can and the guide has a step-by-step tutorial on how to do it. There are some downsides to installing on a single drive, though, and I really do not recommend doing it if it can be avoided. Much better to use separate drives.

Hi, sorry to side track you all but if i were making an identical pc/hackintosh to sabbiato, except using a thunderbolt mobo as apposed to a non thunderbolt z87 would i subsequently need to A.. find a case that has a thunderbolt slot or B.. just buy the best case i can. Sorry if this seems ignorant but i cant find an answer on the internet and you guys seem to be pretty knowledgable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back