Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

There's no reason to use GenericUSBXHCI.kext on that board and there's no such thng as a "working speed stepped machine" on X99 platform...

I am aware of the fact that i don´t need the GenericUSBXHCI.kext for this board. Nevertheless USB2 & USB3 seems to work ok and with it a before frozen CPU frequency now goes from 1,2 GHz to 4,3 GHz with steps in-between. After playing around with it for a day
I can say it is definitely not working fully, even with no load at all it is hopping around between frequencies quite a lot. But under load it works correct and under no load it is saving some watts and lowering the temps a little. It is interesting why a USB.kext is doing such a thing.

There is no working PM in OSX for X99 today, what app is showing you these changing freq. Let's see a screenshot.

it´s HWMonitor that shows it, here´s a screenshot
the bulge at the beginning is Prime95 running for a few minutes

Attachments

• HWMonitor_screenshot.jpg
    HWMonitor_screenshot.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 161
An excellent result . I have a similar system asus x99-a intel i7 5820k. Where did you get GenericUSBXHCI.kext? My need to put? I have everything working except for speed step and the processor does not work . In Logic pro poor results.

Attachments

• ?????? ?????? 2015-02-08 ? 0.08.55.png
    ?????? ?????? 2015-02-08 ? 0.08.55.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 144
An excellent result . I have a similar system asus x99-a intel i7 5820k. Where did you get GenericUSBXHCI.kext? My need to put? I have everything working except for speed step and the processor does not work . In Logic pro poor results.

FYI - GenericUSBXHCI.kext handles 3rd party USB 3.0 devices, not power management. Installing the kext will do nothing for your poor Logic performance. As has been stated many times, there is not much we can do without Power Management. It's up to Apple to incorporate Haswell-E/EP support into OS X (presumably when the Mac Pro gets an update.) The SSDT I request a few posts ago seems to help a BIT with the stepping, though the CPU runs constantly at max frequency, and will until Power Management is built into the OS.

I can confirm the same results. Not sure why the USB kext is enabling additional P states but before I added the kext I was stuck at 4.2 GHz. With the kext I see it drop as low as 1.4. Here is a snap shot. I ran Geekbench first and you can see the left side of the graph solid at 4.2. The benchmark numbers were the same as before. I am keeping the kext installed for now. Would be curious why this works.

Attachments

• usb.tiff
    73.1 KB · Views: 164
I can confirm the same results. Not sure why the USB kext is enabling additional P states but before I added the kext I was stuck at 4.2 GHz. With the kext I see it drop as low as 1.4. Here is a snap shot. I ran Geekbench first and you can see the left side of the graph solid at 4.2. The benchmark numbers were the same as before. I am keeping the kext installed for now. Would be curious why this works.
how did you installed the intel power gadget?

Whoa, what? Let me give this a shot...

how did you installed the intel power gadget?

You have to use a utility like Pacifist to unpack the files and just pull out just the power gadget to bypass the cpu check.

Back