Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10.0

I'm so extremely impressed what you've achieved so far. :clap: It's an amazing community here and I would like to be part of it.

I do have two questions so far.
For an overclocked 5820k would you suggest the Asus X99-Deluxe or Gigabyte X99-UD4? The UD4 is 160$ cheaper than the Asus in Europe. So I'm tending to the UD4 but I'm worried about the OC possibilities and if it's possible to use a thunderbolt extension card.

Has anyone created a Software RAID with his X99 built? :think: Would it work?
Thanks in advance.

I'm so extremely impressed what you've achieved so far. :clap: It's an amazing community here and I would like to be part of it.

I do have two questions so far.
For an overclocked 5820k would you suggest the Asus X99-Deluxe or Gigabyte X99-UD4? The UD4 is 160$ cheaper than the Asus in Europe. So I'm tending to the UD4 but I'm worried about the OC possibilities and if it's possible to use a thunderbolt extension card.

Has anyone created a Software RAID with his X99 built? :think: Would it work?
Thanks in advance.

There's no thunderbolt cards for anything except Asus right now. OC possibilities - Are you worried because Asus has the OC socket? As far as I know, it's only useful if you're doing ridiculous overclocks - the kind that would require LN2 cooling and a test bench. Also I'm pretty sure Gigabyte and MSI have added or were going to add the same type of socket... I think Asus is claiming copyright infringement though.

Software RAID should work on pretty much board AFAIK.

I also tried 4.3 but it was still unstable when encoding (specifically long video with HEVC) it usually crashed after 20minutes. You can tell you have stable system if you load all cores for at least 1 hour (this is from what I saw as a recommended method to test). I'm suspicios if my cooling is enough to handle it (I have tower air cooler). If you overclock to this it is recommended to have water cooling so thats what I think might be reason why it crashes after 20minutes for me.

Putting the voltage on auto almost always ends up wrong. Set it manually. And make sure the uncore frequency is set at stock, if it's overclocked it will make it unstable and it doesn't have much of a performance improvement anyway. Use the recommended stability test in the Asus ROG X99 overclocking guide (Google it), that's probably the best thing to do since Prime95 gets Haswell CPUs way too hot. That will tell you if your temps are okay since OS X won't give you temps yet for X99 (afaik at least). If they're okay you can probably up the voltage (I wouldn't recommend going over 1.3 without liquid cooling or possibly a huge heatsink for air cooling) and see if it's more stable.

It's more likely that it doesn't have enough voltage rather than getting too hot. If it gets too hot it will just throttle which I don't think would crash your program.

Also read these threads, a lot of it still applies to Haswell-E:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide
http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Also a quick and dirty guide for reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1722630/intel-god-quick-dirty-guide-4ghz-haswell.html

hi guys,
always not easy method for imessage?

What are your UEFI BIOS settings to get your overclock speed? I have same mobo & processor. Also curious as to how you got your ATI Radeon R9 280x cards working....THANKS!

Mobo

TPU: “TPU_II: CPU BCLK and Ratio Boost"
EZ_XMP: enabled
SLI/XFire: set for 2 Crossfire cards
EPU: disabled
Over-voltage jumper: untouched

BIOS

-- load optimized defaults
-- switch to advanced mode
-- disable safe boot (one does this by deleting the PK Keys under Key Management) and switching to Other OS
-- broadly speaking, made as many settings as I could find in the BIOS consistent with my mobo switch selections
-- enabled Speed Step and Turbo Mode; set CPU C-States to Auto
-- under the AI Tweaker, set the AI Overclock Tuner to XMP;
-- on the Boot menu, selected Partial Initialization for USB Support. This appeared to resolve the "waiting for root device" hang.

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

EthernetBuiltin=Yes
GraphicsEnabler=No

Kernel Flags:
-v -f kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x2000 XMPDETECTION=Yes

Legacy Logo=Yes
Timeout=2
Graphics Mode="2650x1440x32" [photo editing station, change as appropriate]
UseKernelCache=No

kexts
-- disabled the AppleIGB.kext as it was causing kp's
-- used version 6.0.1123 of FakeSMC.kext (available in Downloads section) instead of 6.11.1328, bundled with Multibeast, which was causing kp's. The newer version includes plug-ins for hardware sensor support.
-- disabled the VoodooHDA.kext

Asus R9 280x GPUs
Didn't need to do anything special to get them going. I started with one and then added the second when the system seemed to be working. The second card completely blocks access to the row of configuration switches and LEDs, so it has to be the last step. When you add the card, you need to update the SLI/XFire switch setting.

To Do
Booting without the USB
iMessage
Audio
M2 SSD (rainy day project)

Hope this helps.

Mobo

TPU: “TPU_II: CPU BCLK and Ratio Boost"
EZ_XMP: enabled
SLI/XFire: set for 2 Crossfire cards
EPU: disabled
Over-voltage jumper: untouched

BIOS

-- load optimized defaults
-- switch to advanced mode
-- disable safe boot (one does this by deleting the PK Keys under Key Management) and switching to Other OS
-- broadly speaking, made as many settings as I could find in the BIOS consistent with my mobo switch selections
-- enabled Speed Step and Turbo Mode; set CPU C-States to Auto
-- under the AI Tweaker, set the AI Overclock Tuner to XMP;
-- on the Boot menu, selected Partial Initialization for USB Support. This appeared to resolve the "waiting for root device" hang.

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

EthernetBuiltin=Yes
GraphicsEnabler=No

Kernel Flags:
-v -f kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x2000 XMPDETECTION=Yes

Legacy Logo=Yes
Timeout=2
Graphics Mode="2650x1440x32" [photo editing station, change as appropriate]
UseKernelCache=No

kexts
-- disabled the AppleIGB.kext as it was causing kp's
-- used version 6.0.1123 of FakeSMC.kext (available in Downloads section) instead of 6.11.1328, bundled with Multibeast, which was causing kp's. The newer version includes plug-ins for hardware sensor support.
-- disabled the VoodooHDA.kext

Asus R9 280x GPUs
Didn't need to do anything special to get them going. I started with one and then added the second when the system seemed to be working. The second card completely blocks access to the row of configuration switches and LEDs, so it has to be the last step. When you add the card, you need to update the SLI/XFire switch setting.

To Do
Booting without the USB
iMessage
Audio
M2 SSD (rainy day project)

Hope this helps.

-Speedstep "enable" works only if you don't OC the cpu.
-Don't understand what you mean about the fakesmc version.. did you used the new version or not?
cause for me any version of hwsensor doesn't works.
-What is (or where is) AppleIGB.kext
-there is no write XMP but manual.

thks

-Don't understand what you mean about the fakesmc version.. did you used the new version or not?
-there is no write XMP but manual.

thks

haswell-e hwsensors from fakesmc is causing kernel panic. it causes cpu hw sensor. the rest of sensors are working so you can get at least some motherboard informations but not info about cpu. You can manually remove the cpu kext from fakesmc sensors.

haswell-e hwsensors from fakesmc is causing kernel panic. it causes cpu hw sensor. the rest of sensors are working so you can get at least some motherboard informations but not info about cpu. You can manually remove the cpu kext from fakesmc sensors.

and did you managed with imessage? if yes how?
thks

and did you managed with imessage? if yes how?
thks

I do not need imessage so I do not know.

No, I double checked and one can enable it while overclocking. I tried disabling it and my graphics disintegrated (intermittent snow and lines).

I used the old version. If you examine the package contents, the plug-ins folder is empty.

It's an ethernet driver that gets installed in /Extra/Extensions.

there is no write XMP but manual.
Not sure what you mean but I'm attaching two screenshots. Once you select XMP, the remaining information is auto-populated, i.e. you don't need to provide it.

Attachments

• IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 208
Back